PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Using linked folders in Ubuntu One

FokkerCharlie
September 28th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hi All

I've just started looking into using Ubuntu One as a replacement for the (perfectly good) SpiderOak.

It's working fine, but to avoid duplicating data, I tried creating a symlink to a folder in 'Ubuntu One'. It seems that this didnt' have the desired effect- the daemon did not seem to recognise the new data, and nothing appeared on the web interface.

I can move the folder I wish to back up to Ubuntu One, and make a link back to the original location, which works OK, though it's a bit clumsy.

So, is this:

- A bug?
- A feature?
- Something I've misunderstood?
- A feature that has not been implemented yet?
- Something else?

All advice, as ever, appreciated.

Charlie

joshuahoover
September 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hi All

I've just started looking into using Ubuntu One as a replacement for the (perfectly good) SpiderOak.

It's working fine, but to avoid duplicating data, I tried creating a symlink to a folder in 'Ubuntu One'. It seems that this didnt' have the desired effect- the daemon did not seem to recognise the new data, and nothing appeared on the web interface.

I can move the folder I wish to back up to Ubuntu One, and make a link back to the original location, which works OK, though it's a bit clumsy.

So, is this:

- A bug?
- A feature?
- Something else?

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

This is a feature we're looking at implementing in the future. Currently, we don't support syncing symlinks.

Thank you,

Joshua

sdrkee
June 20th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Considering this thread date, it has been almost a year. So does this feature enable now in Ubuntu One in free or paid version?

Huxlay
July 31st, 2010, 06:08 AM
Hi All

So, is this:

- A bug?
- A feature?
- Something else?

Charlie

But i havr no more advice just like you post much and appreciated your good job. :)

X.Cyclop
August 5th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Considering this thread date, it has been almost a year. So does this feature enable now in Ubuntu One in free or paid version?
I don't think so, because i still have that problem with linked folders.:(

clark40
November 6th, 2010, 01:09 PM

lebkuchen
November 20th, 2010, 02:25 AM
It works well for me. Actually I didn't think of avoiding to duplicate data (though it is a good idea), so I didn't make it more complicated than necessary. :) (http://bestseller-romane.de/romane/stieg-larsson-triologie-verblendung-verdammnis-vergebung)