PDA

View Full Version : is the linux world picking on UBUNTU?

Efrain Valles
February 10th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Ubuntu is just about the hottest distro about.... but I get the feeling there are linux users just calling UBUNTU a winusers linux version... It makes me mad... I don`t understant..... first they tell us linux is the better option, install linux, quit windows... I install ubuntu and I find websites that say... NAH , ubuntu is a good WINUSER linux distro... I have stopped using windows... please stop calling me WINUSER... :mad:

I AM AN UBUNTUER NOW... \\:D/

phanboy_iv
February 10th, 2006, 12:58 AM
True, that gets on my nerves too. I don't use Windows, and I dual boot Gentoo, yet I still love Ubuntu.

Ubuntu ain't no Windows, and that's a good thing. It just simplifies/automates some traditional Linux chores, and ensures a stable desktop.

Some people just love to do things the hard way, while mocking others who don't.

rawkasaurus
February 10th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I think that linux "powerusers" feel like Ubuntu is too user friendly for some reason. They think that all distros should be gimped as soon as you install them and that everyone needs to compile their own still for hours on end.

engla
February 10th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Some time ago it wasn't possible to come to linux because it worked, or because it was less trouble. Now it is, you don't have to do half of it yourself if you want to set up linux, so there might be a conflict..
You know, did you build it yourself or did you buy it? It's always like that that those who built it themselves and understand it look down on those that just "bought" it.

They should be happy about the linux adoption. I'm a new adopter and I can't wait until linux gets a significant share of the market (firefox-like or better). Ubuntu makes me believe it.

poofyhairguy
February 10th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Ubuntu is just about the hottest distro about.... but I get the feeling there are linux users just calling UBUNTU a winusers linux version... It makes me mad... I don`t understant..... first they tell us linux is the better option, install linux, quit windows... I install ubuntu and I find websites that say... NAH , ubuntu is a good WINUSER linux distro... I have stopped using windows... please stop calling me WINUSER... :mad:

People say that about Mandrake (or diva or whatever) too.

Don't take it personally....

nemik
February 10th, 2006, 01:46 AM
i get this from some crazies too. they seem to feel that unless gentoo ****-rapes you into doing everything the most difficult way possible, then you are a 'poser' or whatever the mot-du-jour is.

let them say what they want. each to his own. we love our ubuntu, it works and serves our purposes. some people prefer windows too and that is fine as well.
personally i couldn't care less what OS a person used, so long as i'm free to use what i want. :)

majikstreet
February 10th, 2006, 01:50 AM
No no no.. the people have it all wrong.. Xandros and Linspire are the distros for windows users.. ubuntu is for anybody!

anyway, I'm no newbie, and I use ubuntu!

sabredog
February 10th, 2006, 02:03 AM
If you feel inclined, please check this thread out. There is a typical response by what I call a "Linux Elitist". I tried to present the other side.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=469617 (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=469617)

Let me know what you think :)

cheers

dickohead
February 10th, 2006, 02:07 AM
I think it's the mentality of those users who traditionally got involved with Slackware/Debian/Gentoo(more recently) and other DIY distro's that make us mere mortals feel inferior. For those of us that have a Job to do, other than programming or something strictly Unix based, we don't want to compile our own programs, we don't want to set up our own xorg.conf files and we certainly don't want to spend hours reading man pages and documentation about how the bash prompt operates.

We want a system that installs and is operational, even if that functionality is basic, it's still functionality.

I have used SuSE, Mandrake, Mandriva, Slackware, Debian, Lycoris, Auditor, Knoppix and Ubuntu, but for me one thing remains true - if things don't work out-of-the-box; I try something else.
Not because I'm lazy, not because I don't know how to fix it, but because i'm not a single PC user/hacker who spends hours and weeks polishing their newly modded chrome case so they can compile the latest Linux kernel and maximise CPU efficiency to increase their SETI@home ranking through their Linux based cluster(breathe).
I need things to work, so too do most PC users. Sure my CPU is water cooled and my processor overclocked, but when it comes down to it, that was just fun. I have a job to do, and Ubuntu does that, Windows doesn't.

ronb
February 10th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Ubuntu makes Linux available to many people who would have to settle for Windows instead. Isn't that the idea?

Ubuntu works for me. I like it, and I show it to people whenever I can.

Sirin
February 10th, 2006, 02:34 AM

AHEM, Ubuntu users say the same things about Kubuntu... :-k

Malphas
February 10th, 2006, 03:24 AM
...and about Windows for that matter. Elitism is stupid.

Herios
February 10th, 2006, 03:26 AM
would have to agree with ease of use. the easier the better more people will jump over to open source. i imagine as time goes on open source will become easier and easier. flexability seems to be key. if you just want to use your computer to surf the net then you don't need to be a super duper power user,if you do you probly should't even need a linux distro and biuld it yourself from the kernel.

it would be nice to see a desktop with only a few options so computer illiterates can still use them without messin up the system.

sorry for random random runon

Deaf_Head
February 10th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Ubuntu is great .. good and reliable. Other Linux distro's easily become projects rather than platforms for my everyday computer use.

sabredog
February 10th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I used Open Office for the first time seriously last night to type two letters to two teachers teaching two of my daughters.

Previous to that I would use Office on my WinXP PC and as such had only "played" with Open Office.

Letters written and printed to the Windows LAN HP Laserjet 6.

Fantastic and I soon forgot I was not using Office...

WildTangent
February 10th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Elitists are like mentally challenged people...they think they're special, but for the wrong reasons.

Sorry if I offend, I meant nothing against the mentally handicapped.

-LLM

fuscia
February 10th, 2006, 04:35 AM
hard to be cool when everyone can use it.

dickohead
February 10th, 2006, 04:42 AM

*Hits nail on head*

PapaWiskas
February 10th, 2006, 04:56 AM
I am a noobie....but I am not new to trying to get Linux to run on my PC.

Plain and simple fact is, there are alot of users like me, in Windoze, who know enough to be dangerous, but not know enough on how to get a perfectly fine PC run on Linux.

I would get so frustrated, trying to get Red Hat installed, BeOS I thought was going to save me, then it was Suse, then Mandrake.....I seriously gave up. If it was one thing that wouldnt work it was another. I just wanted to use my computer to do stuff on, I didnt want to being doing stuff to my computer to get it to work.

So in December I was aimlessly surfing at work, and ran across this article, and the guy mentioned how he missed his Ubuntu Wireless interface in comparison to whatever it was he was testing. I read the word Ubuntu and was like "What the hell is that?"

So I did a search when I got home that night....found the site.....saw some screenshots....found the download section and thought to myself....what the hell....I got nothing else to do but watch Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs.

So I downloaded it and it sat around on the shelf for 2 days, I was dreading what I was about to attempt to do. Because the only PC I had to test this install on, was my Laptop....which by nature, Laptops are the most finicky.

But the strangest thing happened after 35 minutes of install time. Ubuntu was done, I was logged in, surfing the web, setting up my email, setting up my GAIM, I grew frantic....What is this? What is going on? Why is this OS working? Why didn't I have any issues? What did I do wrong? Holy heeby jeebies, this is it, the end of the world is here, life shall never be the same.

So what does this all mean....what am I trying to say?

Simple....

Hey Bill, take your service packs and.....well...I guess you get the meaning.

Sorry for the rant. UBUNTUER is a GREAT WORD!!!

maruchan
February 10th, 2006, 05:26 AM
I read the word Ubuntu and was like "What the hell is that?"

So I did a search when I got home that night....found the site.....saw some screenshots....found the download section and thought to myself....what the hell....I got nothing else to do but watch Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs.

ROFL

I nominate this post for a "best of" section ;)

mstlyevil
February 10th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I read the forum link that was posted and only one person really took an elitist attitude and it was not against Ubuntu but against a distro becoming user friendly and easy to install and configure. He believed that a person should be willing to learn the entire in's and out's of Linux including the CLI if a user wanted to use Linux. He also stated he did not want the masses to adopt Linux because it would some how ruin the charecter of Linux. Everyone else had a balanced view that Linux should be about choice and that it should cater to everyone's needs. I just did not see anyone picking on Ubuntu specifically and most had glowing reviews of it. That was my two cents.

sabredog
February 10th, 2006, 06:57 AM
I posted the link to the Whrilpool forum.

My intention was to illustrate the problems some elitist Linux users have with the evolution of Linux distro's towards an "install n go" style that enables a user to go straight to work.

Ubuntu coupled with Automatix is currently leading the charge.

The new approach by developers of various flavour distro's goes a long way to increasing the user base of Linux and encouraging hardware manufacturers to release Linux drivers.

The OP's orginal post about Ubuntu possibly getting a bad name is a direct symptom of some Linux Elitist's desperate desire to keep their cosy arcane word from imploding.

mstlyevil
February 10th, 2006, 07:06 AM
I posted the link to the Whrilpool forum.

My intention was to illustrate the problems some elitist Linux users have with the evolution of Linux distro's towards an "install n go" style that enables a user to go straight to work.

Ubuntu coupled with Automatix is currently leading the charge.

The new approach by developers of various flavour distro's goes a long way to increasing the user base of Linux and encouraging hardware manufacturers to release Linux drivers.

The OP's orginal post about Ubuntu possibly getting a bad name is a direct symptom of some Linux Elitist's desperate desire to keep their cosy arcane word from imploding.

I have run across some of these people in this forum. (One of them was banned because he was very rude about it.) I know they exist but they are in the minority although a very vocal minority. They just do not get that for most people the computer is a tool not a hobby or carrer. People want something that just works (TM). It is not a bad thing for there to be easy to use distros out there just as it is not a bad thing for there to be advanced distos either. I think they feel that if there is a large shift of average users to linux that they somehow will lose some imaginary status. It is actually sad to watch them rant about how they never want Linux to change for the better.

Virogenesis
February 10th, 2006, 07:25 AM
What I've noticed is that alot of the stick comes from the debian community.
RPM based aren't so bad Redhat and Suse users don't tend to be too bad.
Gentoo users believe a user should understand his/hers computer which is understandable.
Who do you take your computer to if you trash it and are using linux as not many computer shops I've seen support linux.
Most will format it and put back on windows in most cases.
Automatix has got some useful features but problem is.... by using a tool like that if you break anything you won't know how to repair it and this is what alot understand.
ubuntu is more intermidate than most distros, redhat 9 for example had a gui for installing we have text based for now.
I think the thing is alot of linux users do not want windows users who do stupid things for example..... person a: why isn't my computer working? person b: have you switched it on yet? person a: how do i do that...
I see the elist attitude as one of the most annoying things about linux.
What made me like ubuntu was the support which is on tap all the time we don't say to a user just go back to windows we'll try to help them and if we think windows is for them we'll tell them but before we do that we try to help.
Alot of distros won't do that I'd say quite a few like ubuntu deep down thats the thing.
Another thing I've noticed is.... why is root disabled.... thats a common question

paul cooke
February 10th, 2006, 07:37 AM
they're gonna be upset with Debian now. Sarge was very easy to install and the only things I had to mess with were setting the Marillat repositories to get the multimedia and dvd playback sorted... I upgraded to Etch last night... couple of hassles, but basically painless.

kerb
February 10th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Luckily, even the most elite linux users I know use Ubuntu. I'm not to bad myself, Linux has been my main desktop for six years.
The ones who don't use Ubuntu and sometimes rag on it are the people who've learned a bit of linux but want to be more elite or learn more. Most people I know who have lots of computer experience now turn to Ubuntu or Mac OS X since we can't be bothered to hack around on things so they work, that belongs to the past now. Ubuntu and OS X are unixy systems that just work, and I like that :)

One could say that Linux is getting out of its teens, its users should as well :)

paul cooke
February 10th, 2006, 07:50 AM

nah, it's not the coolness factor of using Linux, for them it's the "l33t" factor of using something that others can't... their just really miffed that everybody else can use Linux without having to learn esoteric incantations (m4d l33t h4x0r 5k1ll5) just to install it...

I started back in 1999... with mandrake... they were putting Mandrake down back then... apparently it was a "baby" distro for winusers... actually, it was hard to install... if you wanted to dual boot you had to manually partition and there was no partition resizer... also X was no fun setting up either... it was all to easy to fry your monitor... but it was considered to be a baby distro because you didn't have to get down to the command line to edit config files just to get it installed and there was a GUI tool for configuring most things...

raublekick
February 10th, 2006, 07:56 AM
You shouldn't have to know how to build something yourself in order to use it. I sure hope that eletist Linux users make their own furniture, build their house, understand the wiring and design, grow their own plants for eating, raise livestock and butcher them, and repair their own cars.

Not everyone can know the ins and outs of everything. For every hardcore know-it-all Linux user, there is someone who knows much more about something else. It's great that there are people who know so much about it. I know a lot about computers in general, and even into the very specifics of Linux (although I'm still kind of a noob about using Linux). But I am a computer science major, so I should know a lot this. I would hope that my doctors and mechanics spend more time reading medial journals or fixing their own cars than learning Linux.

ardchoille
February 10th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I use Ubuntu because it is, in my opinion, the best distro available. To heck with anyone who doesn't agree.. they aren't running my desktop, I am :)

Efrain Valles
February 10th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Well, I'm surely glad I am not alone. LINUX ain't a Build-it-yourself Robot that comes in a magazine that supplies certain piece every month. this is upsetting. I have learned a lot about my system and how it works. I have left the MONEY MAKING Butterfly... I shook the penguins hand... What else do they want... Just STOP calling me a WINUSER...

TrendyDark
February 10th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I think the reason that Ubuntu gets picked on so much by other people is because it's doing something their distro could not, switching masses of Windows users everyday. Ubuntu isn't popular because it looks pretty, hell, the default theme for Ubuntu is HIDIOUS, but Ubuntu has a very large community of supporters and it's easy to use, most often it has little bumps, but it just works.

Ubuntu was my first experience with Linux and I'm never switching. I have tried other distributions to include SuSE, MEPIS, Fedora, and Gentoo. I didn't like any of them and felt so out of place without the little drum beats in my ear everytime i opened up an application.

Ubuntu is here to stay and hopefully to make the world a more "Penguin-loving" place.

Cyfr
February 10th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I personaly think that the only damn difference between Ubuntu and Gentoo etc is the fact that Ubuntu has a huge userbase and because of that a huge support forum.

I have gentoo installed now on my other pc (unfortunatly i still run windows on my main pc because amsn webcam takes like 100% cpu :p)
Okay it takes forever to compile big programs, but I enjoy the additional speed. However, take for example me trying to get a cgi script to work, I can't get the damn thing to work and only one person has tried to help me (unsuccessfully) on the forums.

If I had ubuntu installed and I had this problem, I garentee somebody else will have the same problem and i'll properly be able to fix it without even making a post :p

Master Shake
February 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM
It's elitism pure and simple.

Of course, when it comes to grilling outdoors, I refuse to cook on non-Weber grills, so I'm an elitist there. :D

raublekick
February 10th, 2006, 04:10 PM
It's elitism pure and simple.

Of course, when it comes to grilling outdoors, I refuse to cook on non-Weber grills, so I'm an elitist there. :D

When grilled meats are involved, anything but the best is unacceptable.

Brunellus
February 10th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I personaly think that the only damn difference between Ubuntu and Gentoo etc is the fact that Ubuntu has a huge userbase and because of that a huge support forum.

I have gentoo installed now on my other pc (unfortunatly i still run windows on my main pc because amsn webcam takes like 100% cpu :p)
Okay it takes forever to compile big programs, but I enjoy the additional speed. However, take for example me trying to get a cgi script to work, I can't get the damn thing to work and only one person has tried to help me (unsuccessfully) on the forums.

If I had ubuntu installed and I had this problem, I garentee somebody else will have the same problem and i'll properly be able to fix it without even making a post :p
I haven't used gentoo myself, but I have availed myself of their excellent wiki more than once.

The gentoo userbase seems to be extremely knowledgeable, and I respect that a lot.

Efrain Valles
February 10th, 2006, 06:21 PM
But I just can see why such die hard fans don't get a grip!

C'mon we have linux installed on our boxes... if it's gentoo, ubuntu, mandriva, fedora, knoppix,... it's LINUX... when I people ask me about my operating system.. I just say LINUX... because if I say ubuntu probably the person won't understand... I just love my system... based on the linux kernell... that's my 50 dollars.... (not cents) ;) ;)

GOD CREATED THE UNIVERSE

when men created computers, he sat down and developed LINUX....
linux user since MAY 2005.

LordBug
February 10th, 2006, 06:47 PM
As others have pointed out, it's just snobbish and elitest behavior. In my course of Linux tinkering, I've run almost every distro out there over the past ~8 years. They all have good points (even Gentoo!), and bad points (even Ubuntu). It really depends on what you want, and how much time you have to spend on it.

Pragmatist
February 10th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for nearly a year-and-a-half now. One of the reasons I switched was because of Ubuntu's greater focus on multimedia than, say, FC3. While Ubuntu has been great and I have every intention of continuing with it, I do think there is a certain flaw in the whole "recruit the masses" approach.

Personally, I would be very happy if it happens. However, for it to happen I believe that the most important change will have to come from Windows users, not from Ubuntu. Windows users would have to make a significant paradigm shift in their attitude towards computing.

After trying in vain to recruit just a few of my friends and family, I came to the realization that Windows users are driven by Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (F.U.D.) and Linux users are "Active" computer users. After years of Microsoft programming the minds of its users to be passive and reliant, most computer users don't want to be bothered with tweaking their system, searching around for drivers, being a guinea pig for testing, etc... No matter how user-friendly Linux becomes, unless, at a minimum, hardware manufacturers make their products with Linux in mind (or at least make the specs available to driver programmers), then Linux users will always have more work to do than Windows users, and will have less options with newer technology.

Naturally there are other sacrifices they'd make in return for the advantages of Linux. In the end, however, the differences between the plusses and minuses almost always have to do with a greater acceptance, preferably enjoyment, of actively administering your system.

Ubuntu is making phenomenal strides and should be exceptional at drawing those Windows users who want to be more active in adminstering their system, but are inexperienced and put off at how hard they think it is to use Linux. However, the real market is much much bigger and is made up of people who DON'T want to be bothered with administering their systems. Unless you can steal market share from Microsoft, compete with them at their own game of developing passive users, you'll never get the vast majority of people to switch unless they themselves decide to become more active computer users.

paul cooke
February 10th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I haven't used gentoo myself, but I have availed myself of their excellent wiki more than once.

The gentoo userbase seems to be extremely knowledgeable, and I respect that a lot.

the installation guide is so good, you have to be a real dunce to fail to install Gentoo... it's just so easy to follow the steps... just like baking a cake... I did it once just to see what all the fuss was about...

xequence
February 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
is the linux world picking on UBUNTU?

No, but the debian world seems to be.

Leo_01
February 11th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Dun feel bad guys...
:D
at least we got a better community where new users can learn more as compared to some distros where all users are treated as "professional" users.

erikpiper
February 11th, 2006, 02:32 AM
I have decided to migrate to Gentoo. A bit for learning, but mostly for a stable desktop.

Yes.

Stable- gentoo.

Gentoo for me is more stable than ubuntu- In ubuntu automounting not working, nvidia drivers crashing, etc. I would rather do all the work myself and get a working desktop than an easy half one. Bye..

I am stickin around here though! For dapper... And my laptop.

handy
February 11th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Us & them, what a drag!

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all people. Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to all even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive people, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself to others you will become vain and bitter;
there will always be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let not this blind you to the virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as
the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have the right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him/Her to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of
life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy

BoyOfDestiny
February 11th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Hmm seems there are trolls that pop in and mention "some other distro based on debian" is better because it has "something out of the box that you could download/do with ubuntu anyway".

I'm willing to bet it is just elitism. If you are using a popular distro, it's not "cool" or "niche".

It's like people who like an indie band until they become popular. Then suddenly, said band is no longer interesting.

Anyway, take it with a grain of salt. I'll be interested when someone actually mentions something that ***** linux can do that ubuntu linux cannot.

Between open source, gpl, etc... I doubt anything worthwhile is locked in to ONE distro...

Lord Illidan
February 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I think I could install Gentoo without any probs. Their manual is excellent.
But I have a choice. I have either a choice of 2-3 days compiling Gentoo...
or 1 day installing Ubuntu and everything I need.

Plus that I don't see how compiling everything makes me know Linux more.. Blindly following the manual, as most gentooers seem to do doesn't make you elite.

Pragmatist
February 11th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I think it isn't
is the linux world picking on UBUNTU? that implies that all the other distros are in some kind of conspiracy or even that they work together in some concerted way. Really, it's: "Is the Gentoo world picking on the Ubuntu world" or is the "LFS world picking on the Gentoo world" etc... The question itself is a kind of elitism in that it helps promote an US vs. THEM attitude.

I hope I'm not restating the obvious, but Linux is a kernel and Ubuntu and Gentoo are distributions. The bottom line is that distributions just make it easier to use a Linux computer, IF and only if the decisions of that distribution fit in with what you need to do now and are likely to need to do in the future. And, if the distribution's means for making changes work for you.

Every distro has advantages and disadvantages (yes, even Ubuntu :) ). Gentoo has the advantage of optimizing the software, including the kernel, to the person's specific hardware. One disadvantage is it takes days instead of hours. I would think it is most useful either for those who really need the small increase in speed, or for those who want to learn alot about compiling and troubleshooting compiling errors, etc... They probably could learn more by doing Linux From Scratch, though. Ubuntu is easy to use and can do alot of multimedia quite easily. It isn't as stable as Debian Sarge, though. Debian Sarge, while stable, isn't optimal if you want to use newer, high-tech stuff as you'll probably, at a minimum, have to upgrade the kernel. and so on...and so on.... And these are just some of the differences and reasons to choose one distro over another.

If you know how to do those tasks common to all linux systems, then the differences between distros become your slave not your master. This whole idea of loyalty to one distribution is, to me, elitism.

Sheinar
February 11th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I'm willing to bet it is just elitism. If you are using a popular distro, it's not "cool" or "niche".
I don't think it's to do with it's popularity, otherwise many of those people wouldn't be using Gentoo.

Tinuz
February 11th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Well, I use Gentoo on the side, but for some reason I prefer Ubuntu. Even though Ubuntu doesn't run all the software i need.
See, the nice thing about Ubuntu is that it has al the adaptability of Linux combined with some(most) of the usability of Windows. It gives me the ability to create a personalized Kernel, but it doesn't force me to. It gives me the ability to solve problems in command line, but it doesn't force me to. Ubuntu is all about giving the ability, but not forcing one to use or learn it.
Gentoo on the other hand forces someone to learn things which aren't strictly necessary to use a desktop. Why would i want to learn such a thing if I only want to use the desktop? Yes, it does increase my ability to solve problems, yes, it gives me more options, but it also forces me to learn and use them.

Now I don't want to say what kind of distro one should use, but most people want to do the things they want and think of the OS as the necessary scaffolding to be able to do those things. If that's your line of thought, use Ubuntu.
On the other hand, some people like to tinker with OSes and learn how they work, i.e. they do not think of the OS as scaffolding, but think of it as the thing they want to do. If that's the case with you, Gentoo might be the thing for you.
If you like both on their own times, dualboot :D

Also, I remember the scientific programmer at my university. This guy used a HD install of Knoppix everywhere. I once asked him why he used an overweight distro(for his purposes), his answer was because it was easy, fast and simple and he didn't want to spend any more effort in it than strictly necessary. And i say he's damn right ;)

handy
February 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Is the linux world picking on UBUNTU?

Troll? :rolleyes: