PDA

View Full Version : Windows Mobile Development?

jacensolo
September 28th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Is there anyway to program for a windows mobile phone from Ubuntu besides Java? Is there a way to program for it natively?

I even attempted to do it from windows, but .Net Compact (I know it isn't native) requires visual studio professional.

SunSpyda
September 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I did a bit in Windows CE 5 development using C++ and native APIs. I did, however use VS .NET '08 for this. But seeing as it might not have the .NET dependency, you might be able to do it without VS .NET.

Bear in mind, that C++ native development is a LOT harder than C#/.NET.

chrisjsmith
September 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
You cannot do this without Visual Studio .Net.

a) GCC doesn't support the PE format used on WinCE. Only CL does on Win32.

b) CIL is subtly different (smaller instruction set - unmanaged code is different) on WM so that kills Mono.

c) No one has any GCC-oriented libs for it so you'd have no WinCE kernel/libs to link it to successfully.

Fun eh? Proprietary at it's best.

Throw it away and buy a cheap Nokia for 100 EUR and use Eclipse+Java :-)

I spent 2 years writing horrible WinCE apps for delivery companies to do PODs and the like. It's a horrid platform. Get rid of it ASAP!

If you are lucky, you might be able to bring Linux up on the hardware though (unlikely).

directhex
September 29th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Mono could do CF if anyone cared enough to enable it and send the patches upstream. Short version is, nobody's bothered because Mono's own equivalent, MonoLinker, is ten thousand times more programmer-friandly and useful than Compact Framework (creating a per-app cut down "compact framework" with *any* piece of the full thing you need, not a subset picked by Microsoft)