PDA

View Full Version : I vote for Lusty Lemming to be the official alternate name to Lucid Lynx! ^_^

hoppipolla
September 24th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Yup, I just think the abbreviation "Ubuntu Lusty" is simply too good to be missed out on! xD

Who came up with it by the way?

So yes, from this point onward, I would like to suggest Lusty Lemming as the official, forum alternate name for Lucid! xD

Hoppi!

Sean Moran
September 24th, 2009, 06:32 AM
It has a certain ring to it, but I reckon Lynx is a rather limited sort of browser in this modern age, unless you are referring to something based around the Hardy-Intrepid-Jaunty-Karmic chain of events.

Strangly enough, last night I ran out of books to read in my house, and decided on something a little light-hearted for a re-read and chose Wilbur Smith's Triumph of the Sun for lack of anything else new to read apart from KJB or Gideon's, and there on page three was the name of one of the 'fictional' main characters' 19th century small ship named 'Intrepid Ibis'. I had to blink and read it again!

Better check to make sure Mr Smith hasn't used Lusty Lemming in one of his novels before, eh?

:lolflag:

---o0o---

Sorry. My error on the Lucid Lynx. I haven't been keeping up with my reading lately on the forum. Just saw it in the Fridge discussions.

Exodist
September 24th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Lucid Lynx is a great name.

The Toxic Mite
September 24th, 2009, 07:05 AM

+1 and it should stay that way :D

Sashin
September 24th, 2009, 07:08 AM
which definition of lucid is it?

The Toxic Mite
September 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM
which definition of lucid is it?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lucid (http://tinyurl.com/yaddvcg)

tjwoosta
September 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM
So it comes down to ubuntu lusty or ubuntu lucid? Both names suck but I would choose lusty, it sounds better.

Chronon
September 24th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Lucid Lynx, for sure.

Lusty Lemming is kind of funny, but I don't really think a horny rodent is an appropriate mascot/codename for a project that hopes to have any appearance of maturity.

koleoptero
September 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I want to vote for Lame Llama.

steev182
September 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Could the one after be Mardy Meerkat?

Giant Speck
September 24th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Sometimes... when I'm alone... I call Ubuntu 9.10 "Kinetic Kiwi."

/me crawls into a fetal position and cries.

sliketymo
September 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Yup, I just think the abbreviation "Ubuntu Lusty" is simply too good to be missed out on! xD

Who came up with it by the way?

So yes, from this point onward, I would like to suggest Lusty Lemming as the official, forum alternate name for Lucid! xD

Hoppi!

:lolflag:Actually,I was really hoping for "Leeping Lemur"! Long live Zaboomafoo!

Sean Moran
September 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
More importantly, whatever will it be called after we get past Willowed Wombat?

Chronon
September 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM
xerophilous xeres!

Cope57
September 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Why choose an alternate when you can have the original... Debian.

hoppipolla
September 24th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Sometimes... when I'm alone... I call Ubuntu 9.10 "Kinetic Kiwi."

/me crawls into a fetal position and cries.

hahaha :)

And don't worry guys I was just joking, that's why I was calling it just a "forum alternate" name!

I like the results of the poll as well xD

Ubuntu Lusty ftw!

handy
September 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I think the next name should be "Lusty Lycanthrope"... :lolflag:

Frank Zappa even wrote a song about it:

Zomby Woof

Three hundred years ago
I thought I might get some sleep
I stretched myself out onna antique bed
An' my spirit did a midnite creep

You know I'll never sleep no more

It seem to me that it just ain't wise

Didja ever wake up in the mornin'
With a ZOMBY WOOF behind your eyes

Just about as evil as you could be

I am the ZOMBY WOOF
I'm that creature all the ladies been
Talkin' about

I am the ZOMBY WOOF
They all seek for shelter when I come chargin' out

Tellin' you all the Zomby troof
Here I'm is, the ZOMBY WOOF

Tellin' you all the Zomby troof
Here I'm is . . .

Reety-awrighty, he da ZOMBY WOOF
Reety-awrighty, he da ZOMBY WOOF

They said aw-reety
An' they was aw-righty
An' I was a Zomby for you, little lady . . .

I got a great big pointed fang
Which is my Zomby Toof
My right foot's bigger than my other one is
Like a reg'lar Zomby Hoof
If I raid your dormitorium
Don't try to remain aloof . . .

I might snatch you up screamin' through the window all nekkid
An' do it to you on the roof, don't mess with the
ZOMBY WOOF

I am about as evil as a Boogie Man can be!

Tellin' you all the Zomby Troof

Tellin' you all the Zomby Troof

Stavro
September 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM

+1 and it should stay that way :D

+1 as well!

ZarathustraDK
September 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM
How about "Lube-wielding Lolcat - Get ready, Microsoft" ? :)

doas777
September 24th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Lucid Lynx, for sure.

Lusty Lemming is kind of funny, but I don't really think a horny rodent is an appropriate mascot/codename for a project that hopes to have any appearance of maturity.

is jackalope any better? a side feature to America's funniest Home Videos with Bob Sagget? seriously? it was funny for a month, in the mid 80's.

#11u-max
September 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Lucid Lynx, for sure.

Lusty doesn't always mean "horny". In the context of "Ubuntu 10.6 'Lusty Lemming'" could be read as "passionate". As in "We are very passionate about Ubuntu"

tjwoosta
September 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Actually the only place where lusty ever means horny would be in the urban dictionary. Its just slang

If you look up the definition in any real dictionary these are the possible definitions

Full of vigor or vitality; robust.

Powerful; strong: a lusty cry.

Merry; joyous.

Healthy and full of strength and energy

Strong or invigorating

#11u-max
September 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Actually the only place where lusty ever means horny would be in the urban dictionary. Its just slang

If you look up the definition in any real dictionary these are the possible definitions

Merry; joyous.

Strong or invigorating

*high fives tjwoosta*

svaens
March 27th, 2010, 03:30 AM
At first I misread the title. And thought you'd suggested "Lusty Lemmon" ;)

I guess we've yet to see if this one will be a lemmon. But So far it at least looks nice. A Lemming, according to popular (but untrue) belief is that they rush forward and willing to their own death. Or at least, into uncertainty. Perhaps that is what Ubuntu does with changes such as the left-side window control buttons.

But have any 'alternative names' ever caught on amongst the Ubuntu community ? I haven't heard one before. But I also haven't been around long enough maybe ... .

shindou01
March 27th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Lusty doesn't always mean "horny". In the context of "Ubuntu 10.6 'Lusty Lemming'" could be read as "passionate". As in "We are very passionate about Ubuntu"

Merry; joyous.

Strong or invigorating

At first I misread the title. And thought you'd suggested "Lusty Lemmon" ;)

I guess we've yet to see if this one will be a lemmon. But So far it at least looks nice. A Lemming, according to popular (but untrue) belief is that they rush forward and willing to their own death. Or at least, into uncertainty. Perhaps that is what Ubuntu does with changes such as the left-side window control buttons.

But have any 'alternative names' ever caught on amongst the Ubuntu community ? I haven't heard one before. But I also haven't been around long enough maybe ... .

In that perspective I'd say Lynx is a better name than Lemming, although the Lucid part is rather bugging me....So, why don't we use the alternative Ubuntu Lusty Lynx as in "we are vigorously passionate about Ubuntu like a Lynx which is fast on capturing their prey"...

How about that?