PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xbox 360 not seeing samba, but windows pcs do

cicatrix1
September 23rd, 2009, 10:30 PM
The title basically sums it up, but I'm trying to get my Xbox 360 to see my new fileserver. Other Windows PCs on the network can see and access it just fine.

I found this link http://viperxx.com/index.php/Xbox_360_Linux_Samba and followed those instructions, but I can't seem to get the 360 to see it when I go into video library like it sees the other Windows PCs after a short network scan.

I have security set to user, because I want a couple of people to be able to have private shares. There are public shares that the other computers can get to that I'd like to work on the 360. Is that just not going to work or am I missing something obvious?

I can post the config if needed, but I'd rather not if possible. It basically looks like the second one on that link.

cicatrix1
September 24th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Anybody got their 360 to see their samba share? Did you use share level security or have you got it to work with user?

steev182
September 24th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I think most people go the uShare or Fuppes route...

steev182
September 24th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Continuing from the previous reply, I decided to set it up here...

This is what you need to do:

Open a terminal and type
sudo apt-get install ushare
Press enter, then Y and press enter again.

You should now have uShare installed.

Now you need to look at the uShare configuration file and make it right for you.

In the terminal do
sudo dpkg-reconfigure ushare

Then you can specify the name of your server, the network interface it runs on and the folders to share. I used the following:

Name: Media
Network Interface: WLAN0
Folders: /home/steve/Videos,/home/steve/Music

It needs a comma between the folders, rather than a space, but once thats done, it should be plain sailing from then...