PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Air (Iplayer) on 64 bit

timswait
September 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
I'm trying to get BBC Iplayer to work for downloaded programs. This means I have to install Adobe Air. The problem is I'm running a 64 bit system, and Air's only available for 32. I've followed the instructions on http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408084.html#Installing_AIR_1.5_on_64-bit_Ubuntu_7.10__8.04_and_9.04, but have got stuck. The command to install:

$ ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
gives me the error message:

bash: ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin: Permission denied
What does this mean, I'm not that familiar with Linux? Where exactly do I need to save the AdobeAIRInstaller.bin file to on my computer? I have put it in my home directory, is this correct?
Cheers

tgm4883
September 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM
I'm trying to get BBC Iplayer to work for downloaded programs. This means I have to install Adobe Air. The problem is I'm running a 64 bit system, and Air's only available for 32. I've followed the instructions on http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408084.html#Installing_AIR_1.5_on_64-bit_Ubuntu_7.10__8.04_and_9.04, but have got stuck. The command to install:

$ ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
gives me the error message:

bash: ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin: Permission denied
What does this mean, I'm not that familiar with Linux? Where exactly do I need to save the AdobeAIRInstaller.bin file to on my computer? I have put it in my home directory, is this correct?
Cheers

You need to use sudo

sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

timswait
September 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd already tried it, I get:

sudo: ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin: command not found
Is it that I've not saved the .bin file in the wrong place? Where does it need to go?
Cheers

SiHa
September 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
The ./ means look in the current directory, so you need to be in the same directory that AdobeAIRInstaller.bin is saved.

You say it's in your home directory, so you could type
sudo ~/AdobeAIRInstaller.bin ('~' is the shortcut for your home directory.)

Also you probably need to make the file executable. Again assuming you are in the directory that it's saved -
sudo chmod a+x AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
Finally, Linux is case-sensitive, so you need to make sure that the filename you type matches exactly the name of the file as saved.

timswait
September 24th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Thank you for that, the chmod seems to be what was needed, after I did that it installed fine, funny Adobe don't mention that step in ther documentation.
I now have another problem. I then installed IPlayer desktop without problem, and it appeared in my Applications menu, but nothing happens when I click on it. Any ideas what this problem is?

SiHa
September 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Not sure, sorry not played with iPlayer on Linux.
There's a couple of posts on the BBC site that mention it trying to use 64bit libs instead of the32bit ones it needs.

gdbutcher
October 26th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I then installed IPlayer desktop without problem, and it appeared in my Applications menu, but nothing happens when I click on it. Any ideas what this problem is?

Timswait, did you get the Iplayer working? I think you have to do this before it works properly, copy and paste each line into your terminal one by one:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
sudo getlibs -l libgnome-keyring.so
sudo getlibs -l libgnome-keyring.so.0
sudo getlibs -l libgnome-keyring.so.0.1.1

then final copy and paste this line:

sudo cp /usr/lib/libadobecertstore.so /usr/lib32

worked for me, hope this helps