PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sharing Files and Folders with Windows 7

Gordonbp531
September 23rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
I have a Tosh Netbook running Ubuntu Remix 9.04, a desktop running Win XP and a Tosh Satelite running Windows 7 RC.
Both the XP machine and the Win7 machine have shared directories, and both can see each others shares over the network.
The Ubuntu Netbook can see and access shares on the XP machine, but NOT on the Win 7 machine.
When I try to connect to the Win 7 machine, all I get is a continuous log-on dialog box loop.
Has anyone had any success in coneccting Ubuntu to Windows 7 shares?

badger_fruit
September 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Has anyone had any success in coneccting Ubuntu to Windows 7 shares?

Never tried but at this logon box, are you entering anything or just clicking "OK"?

Gordonbp531
September 23rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Never tried but at this logon box, are you entering anything or just clicking "OK"?

Entering the User password. Each machine has the same Username and password....

petersaints
September 30th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I think I have the same problem with Windows 7 RTM. I just insert my Windows username, I put the Workgroup on the domain box, type in the password and it just asks it all over again.

What can I do? Is this the same problem you have gendibal?

thoriumchameleon
September 30th, 2009, 01:50 AM
hmmm i just accessed it fine... i'm using 64-bit RC and Ubuntu 9.04 and NTFS file system... what about you?
EDIT: are these separate machines? i don't think i fully understood what you said

petersaints
September 30th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Yeah. This are seperated machines. One Desktop and one laptop. One is running Ubuntu the other Windows 7.

I also tried to debug it out on the console using: "smbclient -L localhost" it shows me that I have something shared on my local computer (I'm also running Samba on Ubuntu and I can access the shared folders on Windows 7 without any problem).

But when I do "smbclient -L 192.168.1.100 -U PEDRO" (where 192.168.1.10 is the IP address of my other computer and PEDRO is my Windows 7 username) I get this error after inserting my password:

session setup failed: SUCCESS - 0

Any ideas? This is really frustrating!!

thoriumchameleon
September 30th, 2009, 02:06 AM
sorry I haven't quite gotten into SAMBA... after i got apache to work i felt special enough to revert back to regular pc usage lol...

petersaints
September 30th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Tomorrow I'll try with a Vista laptop to know if this is a problem between 7 and Samba.

By the way does anyone know if that's the case? I mean, if Samba SMB implementation is somewhat incompatible with Windows 7? At least without some tweaking I mean?

cariboo907
September 30th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I have Windows 7 in a vm and connects to my file server with no problem. I have the shares on the server setup to allow guest access, and Win 7 found the shares automagically. THis is what the share setup in /etc/samba/smb.conf looks like:

[stuff]
path = /media/stuff
comment = whatever fits
guest ok = yes
browseable = yes
writeable = yes

petersaints
September 30th, 2009, 01:44 PM
But my problem is the opposite. I can access Ubuntu's shares from Windows 7. I can't access Windows 7's shares from Ubuntu.

And I have tested with another computer running Windows Vista SP2 and it works fine. The problem must be with Windows 7.

NoFearDJB
October 4th, 2009, 05:10 AM
But when I do "smbclient -L 192.168.1.100 -U PEDRO" (where 192.168.1.10 is the IP address of my other computer and PEDRO is my Windows 7 username) I get this error after inserting my password:

session setup failed: SUCCESS - 0

Any ideas? This is really frustrating!!

I'm having this same problem connecting to my Windows 7 shares from Ubuntu.

jpt266
October 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I have same problem. Ubuntu system does not connect to the win7 box but will connect to a XP box.
If you find a fix please share.

Thanks,

MaLaCoiD
October 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM
There's another thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043933) with the same issue: XP and another Win 7 can access the Win 7 share, but not Jaunty. In Win 7 server, I changed the setting that requires a local account for access to make the XP box work. Tried to set Local Security Policy to Send LM & NTLM v2 if negotiated- no change.

jpt266
December 25th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I think the fix as been found. Read some of these;

It seems caused by windows live sign-in assistant. I had exact same problem. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ba/+bug/458637

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...a-0d79a5597527

Thanks to Yejun above.

Removing windows live sign-in assistant program has "fixed" it for me too - I can use my WIndows 7 printer and access shared folders using my windows user/password, whereas before Win 7 appeared to be refusing to accept the credentials.

Fixed it for me too. Could always go ubuntu to xp but not ubuntu to vista or windows7. Tried the system services tweak, no fix. So what is this windows live sign-in assistant doing that stops the share request?

Again, I removed windows live sign-in assistant on the windows7 box and that fixed it for me too.

castalla
January 22nd, 2010, 11:22 PM
This is driving me nuts!

I have smbnetfs to connect to windows shares - this works 100% with Vista. With Win 7 I see the PC but no shares. The Vista box does see the Win 7 shares. Using Everyone to connect.

Is there a solution - I've googled and read just about every 'fix' - nothing works!

There must be a simple solution! Is it Win 7 share setup? Or a smbnetfs.conf issue?

Help please - for a newbie.

petersaints
September 12th, 2010, 10:13 PM
And this is still not fixed in 10.10. It's really frustrating and a real problem to people who have a home network consisting of both Ubuntu and Windows 7 machines (lik I do).

castalla
September 12th, 2010, 10:18 PM
The solution is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534

petersaints
September 12th, 2010, 10:27 PM
That's more something like a work around. It works but not the way it should.

castalla
September 12th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Well, you can't have everything ... I find it 100% acceptable.

xeno0904
November 7th, 2010, 04:23 PM
The problem is actually because of Windows Live Sign-in Assistant.

To solve it:
1. go to the folder "\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live" (or 'Program Files (x64)' on x64 OS)
2. unreg all of dlls here using regsvr32 (command like this: 'for %i in (*.dll) do regsvr32 /s /u %i')

:) That's all!

castalla
November 7th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I don't have Live Assistant installed ... so what now?

Moko-Moko Seijin
November 9th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I also didn't have Live Sign-In Assistant installed. Of the Windows Live Essentials, I only had Messenger installed. After removing it, I was able to access my Win7 share.

castalla
November 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Don't have any Live Essentials installed - that folder you mentioed doesn't exist on my installation.