PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't "see" samba shares (Ubuntu->Ubuntu)

DFlame
September 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
A bit of an odd one here. I'm having trouble browsing any of my Samba shares hosted on an Ubuntu machine from my Ubuntu laptop. They work perfectly when browsed from a Windows system, and smbclient has no problems listing them as follows:

gmac@gmacserv:~$ smbclient -L 192.168.xxx.xxx
Enter gmac's password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.3.2]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Prints & Files)
Main Disk Main Drive
Public Disk Public Access
Spare Disk Spare Drive
Torrent DL Disk Torrents
LPCS Disk Business Docs
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.3.2]

Server Comment
--------- -------
GMACSERV Prints & Files

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
WORKGROUP

Browsing to Network -> Windows Network in Nautilus shows nothing at all, or "Unable to mount location, Failed to retrieve share list from server" when "WORKGROUP" does appear. My router has its own service called "BT" which works correctly, but only when it appears. I should also add that the 'Main' share is set up to be mounted in fstab, and works fine.

Any ideas? I've tried reinstalling smbfs, smbclient etc but to no effect.

EDIT: Currently have a workaround in effect. Using the address bar to access smb://GMACSERV seems to work for now

Iowan
September 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Check this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149) one - in particular the part about Winbind and /etc/nsswitch.conf.

DFlame
September 24th, 2009, 12:02 PM
The need to browse isn't that important, considering that i know the names of my shares. I think I'll put this on the shelf until I have more time to go through it properly.

Thanks for the link, bookmarked it :)