PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No network connection with nVidia network card (onboard)

michael_madsen
September 22nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Linux/Ubuntu, but have lots of experience from Windows platform. I am trying to get Ubuntu to run on a HTPC, I have built. The system is built on an ASUS P5N7A-VM (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8YiUFvK51IergAqY&templete=2) motherboard, so most devices are onboard.

I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop edition. Everything seems to work fine, except that I don't seem to be connected to the internet/network. The network connection is a wired one. The NetworkManager icon in the top, right corner (next to the date) says "No network connection".

I have read around in forums for a while to try to see if I could find anything, without any luck though.

I have done the following commands:

lspci |grep Eth
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Ethernet (rev b1)

lshw -C network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: MCP79 Ethernet
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: a
bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.0
logical name: eth0
version: b1
serial: 00:26:18:35:b9:b9
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.61 latency=0 maxlatency=20 mingnt=1 module=forcedeth multicast=yes
*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: 12:35:bb:ed:e5:37
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

I hope this will guide any of you Linux gurus into knowing what this could be about.

scragar
September 22nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Could you please run:

ifconfigAnd see if eth0 is listed, if not:
sudo ifconfig eth0 upWill bring it up, then try connecting with it
sudo dhcpcd eth0

michael_madsen
September 22nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:26:18:35:b9:b9
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:123 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:10853 (10.8 KB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:20 Base address:0xa000
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

since eth0 was listed, I went straight to

sudo dhcpcd eth0
[sudo] password for michael: (here i typed password)
sudo: dhcpcd: command not found

mzulkoski
September 22nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Sorry I can't help. also have nVidia onboard lan. However, mine was working but suddenly stopped. I verified my router and cable by connecting the lan cable to another computer; no problem connecting with the other computer.

That narrowed it down to the onboard lan or (uuughhhh) maybe a motherboard problem.

I ran the same commands you did and got pretty much same results.

I disabled the onboard lan and installed a network card that I know is good. The card won't connect either.

The computer has only been in use for three months (third computer on my lan). I thought a recent update may have broken the onboard lan so I did a fresh install using the same cd I used for the original install (9.04 amd64). During the new install I formatted all of my partitions to make sure all old settings were erased. The onboard lan and add-on card still do not work. The reinstall was probably a waste of time; both of my other computers are running 9.04 with the same updates and they still work.

So, here we are, stuck at: dhcpcd: command not found.

Mike