PDA

View Full Version : Apple iBook for $399 for a 6 year old computer is ridiculous!

HappinessNow
September 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
EDIT: TITLE SHOULD READ: Apple iBook for $399 for a 6 year old computer is ridiculous!

Just read this article:

Get an Apple iBook for $399.99

Apple has yet to join the exploding Netbook market, right? Wrong: It joined the market nearly six years ago. It may have even pioneered it!
OK, let me explain. The Apple iBook G4, which debuted in late 2003 and has since been discontinued, has specs that remind me a lot of modern Netbooks. Pokey processor, smallish screen and hard drive, compact design, low price--sound familiar?...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10357442-58.html?tag=rtcol;pop

Do you agree with the comment posted:

by bmccorm2 (http://www.cnet.com/profile/bmccorm2/) September 21, 2009 10:35 AM PDT ...Take the specs of any 10 year old computer and it is suddenly transformed into a modern netbook! The fact that this 6 year old computer is selling for $399 is ridiculous! Get a 6 year old PC for half the cost, throw any flavor of Linux on it, and you then have yourself a netbook for a fraction of the cost.http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10357442-58.html?tag=rtcol;pop

I think the CNet writer may be a bit whacked!...and I agree with the comment that $399 for a 6 year old computer is ridiculous!

coldReactive
September 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Meh, my netbook is a little different I guess. I would've liked a 2 GHz dual core (currently has a 1.66 GHz Dual Core Atom) in it, but oh well. When I get my own place (and after I'm done paying off grandma for my custom computer), I'm going to sell my custom desktop, netbook and get an awesome laptop.

hambone79
September 22nd, 2009, 03:11 PM
I think the CNet writer may be a bit whacked!...and I agree with the comment that $399 for a 6 year old computer is ridiculous!

I personally think that paying for Apple hardware in general is ridiculous. Why pay 3x the cost for hardware just so I can use OS X? If I want to run OS X I'll build a Hackintosh :)

MaxIBoy
September 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
I've been saying this all along. I got a cheap used laptop for $60. Long battery life, perfect for web browsing and word processing, and not good for much else. JUST LIKE A NETBOOK!

NormanFLinux
September 22nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
The very first subnotebooks were very expensive, Think Toshiba's Libretto or Sony's Vaio ultraportables. The breakthrough in 2007 came about when ASUS discovered you could build the same small form factor in a laptop if you put in a low powered cheap processor and a huge hard drive or small capacity SSD. And you could sell them for less than $500! And a whole new category of computing devices was born.

schauerlich
September 22nd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Apple hardware in general keeps it price much longer than PC hardware.

NormanFLinux
September 22nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Apple makes sure the hardware and the OS work together. Apple's profits come not from the sale of OSX but of its computers. It could give away OSX for free and still remain viable.

Bachstelze
September 22nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Flamebait, closed.