PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Wireless Bandwidth in Kubuntu/Ubuntu and Vista

GrimBuntu
September 22nd, 2009, 04:20 AM
Hi. I am a student who's been using Ubuntu for over a year now and just switched to Kubuntu Jaunty. I am dual booting with Windows Vista.

My problem is with the wireless connection. My roommate uses his PC to surf and download but mainly download (too much), which is natural to slow down the connection and eats up the bandwidth.

When I use Ubuntu/Kubuntu, I cannot even open up Google because of his PC. When I'm using my Windows Vista I can surf the web, where Vista somehow manages to reserve bandwidth and am able to use the wireless connection. It would be still very slow, but usable.

My question is: why can't Ubuntu/Kubuntu do the same as Vista? Firefox shows the "looking up" status for ages and then just stops trying, which is frustrating. In Windows it would do the same for around 20 seconds but then it somehow succeeds to take some of the bandwidth and works, even if slow.

Of course with his PC disconnected it works gracefully on both distros and Windows.I also am able to configure my router to disable his wireless connection if I wanted to :P but I'd rather find a solution. Afterall I am using Ubuntu because I want to know how a computer works without anything limiting me.

GrimBuntu
September 24th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Not even one suggestion?