PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NEWBIE BCM 4311 Wireless Not Connecting

pilot26
September 21st, 2009, 09:28 PM
I am new to lynx and I have just gotten Ubuntu 9.06 and I'm having trouble connecting to my wireless, hard line works just fine.

I have tried a number of other suggestions they did not work either due to do user error or not the right fix.

I have tried the download driver but that has not worked

I have a.

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
logical name: eth1
version: 01
serial: 00:14:a5:d0:34:88
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.10.91.9 latency=0 module=wl multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b

Ayuthia
September 21st, 2009, 11:41 PM
I am new to lynx and I have just gotten Ubuntu 9.06 and I'm having trouble connecting to my wireless, hard line works just fine.

I have tried a number of other suggestions they did not work either due to do user error or not the right fix.

I have tried the download driver but that has not worked

I have a.

*-network
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.10.91.9 latency=0 module=wl multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b

Can you try the following from the Terminal:

sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl
sudo modprobe wl
sudo iwlist scan
If it produces wireless sites, we will need to blacklist the b43 and ssb modules:

echo blacklist b43 | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
echo blacklist ssb | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
echo wl |sudo tee -a /etc/modules
This will prevent the b43 module from interfering with the Broadcom STA wireless module and then load the correct module when you restart your computer. Hope that helps.

pilot26
September 22nd, 2009, 12:35 AM
When I run:
sudo modprobe wl
sudo iwlist scan

it produces

lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

vboxnet0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

pan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1 Failed to read scan data : Invalid argument

what should I do next.

thank you for all of your help

Matt

Ayuthia
September 22nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
Sometimes the Broadcom STA module will not list any sites the manual way because NetworkManager is running. Are you able to see anything through NetworkManager (the GUI version)?

If not, can you once again post the results of:

lshw -C network
The information there should have changed because we loaded a different wireless module.

pilot26
September 22nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
lshw -C network
I think that I am using GUI version of network manager but I dont see any thing

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 14
serial: 00:e0:b8:ba:02:e7
width: 64 bits
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.22 firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.100 latency=0 module=sky2 multicast=yes
*-network
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.10.91.9 latency=0 module=wl multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
*-network:0 DISABLED
physical id: 1
logical name: vboxnet0
serial: 0a:00:27:00:00:00
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes
*-network:1 DISABLED
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: e6:2e:3a:25:04:88
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

Thank You
Matt

Ayuthia
September 22nd, 2009, 04:15 AM
It might be NetworkManager. Can you try the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
sudo modprobe wl
sudo iwlist scan
If it does not produce any wireless sites, you can turn Network Manager back on by doing the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager startor restart the computer.

This set of commands will stop Network Manager then reload the wireless modules to see if we can get it started again.

pilot26
September 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
I tried

Re: NEWBIE BCM 4311 Wireless Not Connecting
It might be NetworkManager. Can you try the following:

any more sugestions

thanks much
Matt
Code:
sudo modprobe wl
sudo iwlist scan

and it produced

sudo iwlist scan

pilot26
September 23rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
bump

windom
September 24th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I have a laptop with the BCM4311 wireless. It is a Compaq Presario 500, precisely a C571NR. I have spent way too many hours (literally full work weeks) chasing this around over the last several weeks. It started because I thought it was time to bite the bullet and get my WEP system switched over to WPA-AES. I *finally* have a reliable wireless connection. I made many, many changes so I will describe where I stand at the moment.

1) I found that the b43 driver was the last piece of my puzzle. When I switched to it there was much joy. This means ndiswrapper (with the few different windows drivers I tried with it) and wl are not on my preferred list. b43 can be used by:

a) add these lines to /etc/modules
ieee80211_crypt_tkip
ieee80211_crypt_ccmp
b43
I am not sure the crypto modules need to be there but they don't hurt.

b) add these lines to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
blacklist ndiswrapper
blacklist wl

I tried many things and had all these modules installed on my system. Again, if you don't have wl and/or ndiswrapper installed this should not hurt.

Load the b43 module with the verbose parameter (modprobe -v b43). It will show the loading of a few other modules. Make sure they are not listed in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Check dmesg to make sure the firmware loaded. If you have a problem with it loading, there are a lot of sites that deal with this situation and at least one that serves the firmware directly so it does not need to be extracted with fw-cutter. Use the google on the internet machine. ;)

2) Remove NetworkManager. For whatever reason, it just didn't do the job for me.

3) Install wicd. For what ever reason, it works for me.

4) Grep the etc directory tree for references to the wireless device to make sure all references are in sync. I used 'cd /etc' then 'sudo grep -r wlan *'. I use the device name wlan0. I don't think if eth1 makes a difference but wlan0 is better than wlan1. I can't be very specific because there can be a great variance depending on what is or is not installed on the system. Just check for consistency. One can change this device nickname in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. I have the lines

# PCI device 0x14e4:0x4311 (b43-pci-bridge)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="wlan0"

One can see the MAC address (redacted with x's in this case) embedded in the second line. The second from last parameter denotes the kernel assigned name while the last parameter declares what I want the name to be. You need to research udev if you need more specifics

5) /etc/network/interfaces should not have any references to any interfaces other than the loopback. My file looks like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

wicd will take care of both the wired and wireless interfaces

6) wicd has a set of templates used for configuring wpa_supplicant. They are located in /etc/wicd/encryption/templates. As I mentioned, I started this odyssey based on the need for WPA-AES connectivity. The default template used by wicd for this senario is a one size fits all approach that really should work but my situation was so fragile I removed references to TKIP encryption and the RNS (WPA2) protocol. My make it work any harder than it has to? As I mentioned, I considered my situation to be fragile. A reference for doing this can be found at http://wicd.sourceforge.net/templates.php One should also read http://www.y3m.net/docs/gentoo-on-t42/configs/wpa_supplicant.conf so one has some idea of what she is changing when working with wpa_supplicant configuration files. The link points to the documented configuration file supplied with the wpa_supplicant package and can be found online in many other places. Please take the time to read these documents (it doesn't take long) if you plan on making any changes. I sincerely doubt this step is necessary but I was desperate

7) Implied in #6 is that wpa_supplicant is installed

At this point, reboot for good measure. Do a lsmod|sort|less to check the loaded modules. The crypt modules, b43, and b43's associated modules should be loaded. ndiswrapper and wl should *not* be loaded. Open the wicd client applet. Select preferences. In general settings select wext for thw wpa_wupplicant driver and add your interface names. Leave the other tab alone. Your AP should be showing in the client. Click on the triangle to the left of the network name and then click on Advanced Settings. I set to use a static IP (again, trying to make it as easy as possible to connect). For the DNS I used 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222 which is OpenDNS (opendns.com (a plug for the service)). Select your form of encryption. I entered my WPA key as an ascii phrase. Click OK. In my case I was connected before I could click the connect button. Probably because the 'automatically connect to this network' was already clicked.

For debugging use 'ps ax | grep wpa' to see if/how wpa_supplicant is running. It will show the config file wicd is using for it. wicd also has a log in /var/log/wicd/wicd.log. Go to wicd client --> Preferences --> General to enable debug mode.

Yeah this is a long post but wireless connectivity seems to be so precarious. And newbies will probably say I left an awful lot out. And others (or even the same people) will say I am not very definite about anything. It's true. I am just trying to document what worked for me. And I hope I did not omit anything of import. I think a big part of getting this working is not just the setup but also undoing others things that were tried and failed. Please note that there may be implied sudo's in some commands. I got tired of typing it and often just started with a sudo -s.

I saw a lot of similar problems while researching my problem. It made me so disappointed in Linux since the other OSs on my multiboot machine made the same connection as fast as I could type.

Good luck to all who find themselves in the same situation.

windom

pilot26
September 24th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Bump

Ayuthia
September 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM
If you have a working internet connection, you can try using the b43 option instead of the Broadom STA option. You can go into System->Administration->Hardware Drivers and disable the Broadcom STA option and enable the b43 option. Once you do that, try the following:

sudo modprobe b43
sudo iwlist scan

pilot26
September 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I cant find B34

thanks for the try

Matt

windom
September 24th, 2009, 09:50 PM
No wonder you are having a hard time. It's b43. I thought it was part of the default install but if you don't have it, install it.

windom

Cuba71
September 24th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Broadcom recommends the 802.11 STA linux driver for the BCM4311, are we trying to reinvent the wheel?

Look here (http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php)

windom
September 24th, 2009, 11:24 PM
That's part of the problem. It just did not work for me if I wanted to use encryption other than WEP. It worked fine for that but started my nightmare when I tried to use it with WPA/WPA2. b43 is the only driver that gives me a consistently reliable connection to a WPA AP. I've tried them all. It is the only one that is totally free to boot (compared to ndiswrapper and wl).

There are many different setups that people say are working for them but they won't work for others. This is too informal a setting to determine what causes the inconsistency. It seems the wheel we are using is quite wobbly.

windom

added: I should note that I am using jaunty.

pilot26
September 24th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I can find STA is that the same thing

pilot26
September 24th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I have tried to install the new driver but I cant find it. where do I need to put it

thanks

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I have run code

sudo modprobe wl
sudo iwlist scan
did this make it worse and what should I do to fix it

thanks
Matt

Ayuthia
September 25th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Broadcom recommends the 802.11 STA linux driver for the BCM4311, are we trying to reinvent the wheel?

Look here (http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php)

Broadcom might recommend it, but theirs only came around in 8.04 (about a year ago). The open source b43 driver has been around for much longer. The b43 driver tends to work better with WEP and WPA. Other than that, there are no real differences.

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 01:29 AM
so how do I find the open source B34

Ayuthia
September 25th, 2009, 02:07 AM
so how do I find the open source B34

It is actually b43. If you cannot find it in System->Administration->Hardware Drivers, you can install it through Synaptic by installing b43-fwcutter or from the Terminal:

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 03:24 AM
So did I mess up?? and how do I fix this?

sudo iwlist scan

wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 No scan results

thanks
Matt

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 03:37 AM
ok I have run

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
I have made sure that STA is not activated
then I restart

and looked for B34 but I still cant find it

my wired conection is still working

thanks
Matt

windom
September 25th, 2009, 03:42 AM
You either have no functioning AP or else (more likely) your wireless NIC is not funtioning. My BCM4311 is on a laptop. It has a lighted buttton for the wireless. If there is no driver, there is no light. If the button is lit, then there is a driver problem. There are 3 different drivers for this NIC: wl, ndiswrapper, and b43. Choose only one. I recommend b43.

Do a 'sudo modprobe -v b43'. Don't add any other drivers to the modprobe command. They other necessary drivers should load automatically. Using the -v option will report this. Then do a 'lsmod | sort | less' This will display all the loaded drivers in an alpha sorted list using the less pager. Look for the b43 driver. That's good. Look for ndiswrapper and wl. If you find one or both, that is bad. Remove them. Add them to blacklist.conf (refer to my previous post). Now do a 'dmesg | less'. Scrool to the bottom and check for a message like

[ 35.456133] b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 410.2160

to make sure the firmware loaded. If it didn't load you have to deal with that problem first. My previous post has more. If it loaded then try 'iwconfig' to see that the device is recognized and then 'iwlist' to see if it is working. If APs are reported, you are off to a good start.

windom

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I cant find modules. can I just create that file

a) add these lines to /etc/modules
ieee80211_crypt_tkip
ieee80211_crypt_ccmp
b43

b) add these lines to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
blacklist ndiswrapper
blacklist wl

it comes with a error: You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

any idea how to over come this

matt

windom
September 25th, 2009, 05:23 AM
You can create the file. To edit a system file you need to be acting as the administrator aka superuser. Use 'sudo nano filename'.

Something tells me you are in a bit over your head...

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 01:49 PM
well I am the only user for this computer so I should be the administrator right or do I need to set that up as well.

In the blacklist I did find

# replaced by b43 and ssb.
blacklist bcm43xx

and

# EDAC driver for amd76x clashes with the agp driver preventing the aperture
# from being initialised (Ubuntu: #297750). Blacklist so that the driver
# continues to build and is installable for the few cases where its
# really needed.
blacklist amd76x_edac
blacklist b43
blacklist ssb

could this be my problem?
thanks windom for all of your help

Matt

Ayuthia
September 25th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Before adjusting the /etc/modules and /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf files, let's work on making sure that the right modules are loaded and things are working. It will save some time in cleaning up those configuration files.

It looks like you have b43-fwcutter installed since it is showing wlan0 now. Did you do the following after you installed b43-fwcutter:

sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb ndiswrapper wl
sudo modprobe b43
sudo iwlist scan

If you still get no scan results, please post the results of:

lspci -nn
lshw -C network
dmesg|grep b43

Also are you using encryption (WEP/WPA/WPA2) or have a hidden ssid? Do you know if there are any other wireless sites in the area besides yours?

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 04:57 PM
when I run:
lspci -nn

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 Host Bridge [1002:5950] (rev 10)
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge [1002:5a3f]
00:04.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge [1002:5a36]
00:05.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge [1002:5a37]
00:13.0 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller [1002:4374] (rev 80)
00:13.1 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller [1002:4375] (rev 80)
00:13.2 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller [1002:4373] (rev 80)
00:14.0 SMBus [0c05]: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 SMBus Controller [1002:4372] (rev 83)
00:14.1 IDE interface [0101]: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 IDE Controller [1002:4376] (rev 80)
00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller [1002:437b] (rev 01)
00:14.3 ISA bridge [0601]: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge [1002:4377] (rev 80)
00:14.4 PCI bridge [0604]: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge [1002:4371] (rev 80)
00:18.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration [1022:1100]
00:18.1 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map [1022:1101]
00:18.2 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller [1022:1102]
00:18.3 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control [1022:1103]
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M] [1002:5975]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller [11ab:4352] (rev 14)
05:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
08:09.0 CardBus bridge [0607]: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller [104c:8039]
08:09.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller [104c:803a]
08:09.2 Mass storage controller [0180]: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD) [104c:803b]

lshw -C network

WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
product: 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 14
serial: 00:e0:b8:ba:02:e7
width: 64 bits
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.22 firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.104 latency=0 module=sky2 multicast=yes
*-network
description: Network controller
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb
*-network:0 DISABLED
physical id: 1
logical name: vboxnet0
serial: 0a:00:27:00:00:00
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes
*-network:1 DISABLED
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: fa:ca:e3:0f:2e:d9
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes
*-network:2 DISABLED
physical id: 3
logical name: wlan0
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg

dmesg|grep b43
[ 5335.246408] b43-pci-bridge 0000:05:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
[ 5335.246430] b43-pci-bridge 0000:05:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
[ 5335.345558] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4311 WLAN found

I know of other sites but when when I search for them it comes back no wireless network found

I have run
sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb ndiswrapper wl
sudo modprobe b43
sudo iwlist scan
with
sudo iwlist scan lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

thanks again for your help
Matt

Ayuthia
September 25th, 2009, 05:29 PM
lshw -C network

*-network:2 DISABLED
physical id: 3
logical name: wlan0
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg

sudo iwlist scan

wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

These two items are showing that the wireless card is not starting. There were no warnings that the firmware is missing and that the card is turned off. Do you have NetworkManager running? If so, you might want to make sure that wireless is enabled. That is the only thing that I can think of right now that could cause the Network is down message.

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I am using WICD and it is turned on as far as I know

thanks
Matt

Ayuthia
September 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I am using WICD and it is turned on as far as I know

thanks
Matt

Can you check in preferences to see if the wireless interfaces is set to wlan0 instead of eth1?

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM
it is set to eth1.. how do I change it?

Matt

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 07:25 PM
does it matter what the WPA supplicant driver is set to?

Ayuthia
September 25th, 2009, 08:09 PM
To change eth1 to wlan0 in wicd, you just need to click on the icon in the system tray, go to preferences, under the Wireless Interfaces section in the General Settings tab, change it to wlan0.

If WPA supplicant is set to eth1, you will need to change it to wlan0 also.

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 08:25 PM
WPA supplicant options are

wext
hostap
madwifi
atmel
ndiswrapper
ipw
ralink legacy

Ayuthia
September 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
WPA supplicant options are

wext
hostap
madwifi
atmel
ndiswrapper
ipw
ralink legacy

Sorry, it has been a while since I last used wpa_supplicant. If it is not at wext already, it should be at wext.

pilot26
September 25th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I have done that but I still cant find any wireless networks

what else can I try

pilot26
September 26th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Bump

kevdog
September 26th, 2009, 12:51 AM
sorry I'm jumping in on the conversation,

sudo iwlist scan

That's the command to see wireless networks. You need to see them prior to connecting to them.

pilot26
September 26th, 2009, 08:07 PM
when I run sudo iwlist scan

I get

pilot26
September 27th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Bump

kevdog
September 27th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Ok, so since you can't see anything, there is obviously a problem with your driver installation.

pilot26
September 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM
so what can I do to fix this problem

pilot26
September 27th, 2009, 06:52 PM
bump

pilot26
September 28th, 2009, 02:14 AM
bump

thank you for your help

kevdog
September 28th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Did Ayuthia help you out in the beginning of this thread? Something with the wl driver?

pilot26
September 28th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I have tried Ayuthia suggestions but have not been able to get it to work

kevdog
September 28th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I can see your frustration, however reviewing the entire thread -- well its a nightmare. You're not providing much information. What are you using as a driver b43 or wl? What does lshw -C network show for a driver? What about dmesg and searching for the driver you are trying to load.

Need much more info!

Also you could use the openfwwf driver (I think):
http://www.ing.unibs.it/openfwwf/

can you also post
lspci -nnm

pilot26
September 28th, 2009, 03:06 PM
any more suggestions

thanks

pilot26
September 28th, 2009, 07:31 PM
BUMP

thanks for helping

pilot26
September 28th, 2009, 07:42 PM
the driver that I am using is Broadcom STA wireless driver

lspci -nnm

00:00.0 "Host bridge [0600]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "RS480 Host Bridge [5950]" -r10 "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"
00:01.0 "PCI bridge [0604]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "RS480 PCI Bridge [5a3f]" "" ""
00:04.0 "PCI bridge [0604]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "RS480 PCI Bridge [5a36]" "" ""
00:05.0 "PCI bridge [0604]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "RS480 PCI Bridge [5a37]" "" ""
00:13.0 "USB Controller [0c03]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "IXP SB400 USB Host Controller [4374]" -r80 -p10 "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"
00:13.1 "USB Controller [0c03]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "IXP SB400 USB Host Controller [4375]" -r80 -p10 "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"
00:13.2 "USB Controller [0c03]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller [4373]" -r80 -p20 "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"
00:14.0 "SMBus [0c05]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "IXP SB400 SMBus Controller [4372]" -r83 "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"
00:14.1 "IDE interface [0101]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "IXP SB400 IDE Controller [4376]" -r80 -p82 "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"
00:14.2 "Audio device [0403]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller [437b]" -r01 "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller [437b]"
00:14.3 "ISA bridge [0601]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge [4377]" -r80 "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"
00:14.4 "PCI bridge [0604]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge [4371]" -r80 -p01 "" ""
00:18.0 "Host bridge [0600]" "Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] [1022]" "K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration [1100]" "" ""
00:18.1 "Host bridge [0600]" "Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] [1022]" "K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map [1101]" "" ""
00:18.2 "Host bridge [0600]" "Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] [1022]" "K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller [1102]" "" ""
00:18.3 "Host bridge [0600]" "Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] [1022]" "K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control [1103]" "" ""
01:05.0 "VGA compatible controller [0300]" "ATI Technologies Inc [1002]" "RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M] [5975]" "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"
02:00.0 "Ethernet controller [0200]" "Marvell Technology Group Ltd. [11ab]" "88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller [4352]" -r14 "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"
05:00.0 "Network controller [0280]" "Broadcom Corporation [14e4]" "BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [4311]" -r01 "Broadcom Corporation [14e4]" "Device [0465]"
08:09.0 "CardBus bridge [0607]" "Texas Instruments [104c]" "PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller [8039]" "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"
08:09.1 "FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]" "Texas Instruments [104c]" "PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller [803a]" -p10 "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"
08:09.2 "Mass storage controller [0180]" "Texas Instruments [104c]" "5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD) [803b]" "Gateway 2000 [107b]" "Device [0367]"

Hardware Lister (lshw) - B.02.13
usage: lshw [-format] [-options ...]
lshw -version

-version print program version (B.02.13)

format can be
-html output hardware tree as HTML
-xml output hardware tree as XML
-short output hardware paths
-businfo output bus information

options can be
-class CLASS only show a certain class of hardware
-C CLASS same as '-class CLASS'
-c CLASS same as '-class CLASS'
-disable TEST disable a test (like pci, isapnp, cpuid, etc. )
-enable TEST enable a test (like pci, isapnp, cpuid, etc. )
-quiet don't display status
-sanitize sanitize output (remove sensitive information like serial numbers, etc.)
-numeric output numeric IDs (for PCI, USB, etc.)

When I run dmesg how do I find my driver, I am very new and dont know enough to know what I dont know. I hope that the info provided helps to know what i am doing wrong

thanks again
Matt