PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Developer upgraded gcc, now can't install packages

whtabtbill
September 21st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Someone ran a package that upgraded gcc to 4.3.2 (1ubuntu12) and when I try to install something off the Ubuntu CD (this system has no internet connection and never will) I get an error message that indicates the gcc-version is expected to be 1ubuntu11 and not 1ubuntu12. Is there any way to work around this? I appreciate any input.

BraedenNaylor
September 21st, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm fairly new at Ubuntu but I will try to help. I may be wrong but the choice I would try would be to uninstall the gcc package that was installed and reinstall the old version. I know there is a command to force packages to be installed and ignore errors but this may not apply in this case and I forget it.

Hope this helps.

whtabtbill
September 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'm fairly new at Ubuntu but I will try to help. I may be wrong but the choice I would try would be to uninstall the gcc package that was installed and reinstall the old version. I know there is a command to force packages to be installed and ignore errors but this may not apply in this case and I forget it.

Hope this helps.

Once you remove a package, it no longer shows up under the package list. It will also remove other dependent packages as well, again deleting them from the list. You're right about the force option -- it only works if certain conditions exist. Thanks for trying to help though!

Juan Largo
September 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Try changing the CC environment variable to the older gcc version before compiling:

sudo export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-X.X

, where X.X is the version of gcc that your kernel was compiled under. After executing that, then try compiling again.