PDA

View Full Version : What's Computer Engineering? I'm confused!

Grickko
September 20th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Hi guys, I'm going to college and I'm wondering about the difference between Computer Engineering and Computer Science. The university that I want to go has only computer engineering and Business Informatics, so there's no Computer Science. I don't like Business so I'll stick with Computer Engineering. The problem is that I don't know what computer engineering is. It's just so unclear for me. What are the possible jobs for computer engineers?

Some people told me CE is about software, so what's the difference between CE and CS then?!
Others told me that CE is about hardware, so what's the difference between CE and Electrical engineering and Electronics engineering?!!
Also others told me that CE is a combination of CS and Electronics Engineering!

I'm just toooooo confused!

I'll attend a German university, so it follows the credit points.

These are the computer engineering courses that I should do in this university + the credits points:

1- First Certificate ( English course ) 3 cps
2- Introduction to mathematics 8 cps
3- Communication Skills 2 cps
4- Engineering Physics 5 cps
5- Computer Skills 5 cps
6- Math 1 Algebra/Analysis/Graph Theory 8 cps
7-Computer Arithmetic 5 cps
8-Modeling Methods & Programming 1 6 cps
9- Math 2 Statistics/Probability/Logic 8cps
10- Modeling Methods & Progrtaming 2 6cps
11- Circuit Theory 5cps
12- Training Soft skills 2 cps
13- Algorithms and Data Structures 5cps
14- Discrete Mathematics 5cps
15- Microprocessors 5cps
16- Hardware Architectures 1 (VLSI 5cps
17- Formal Language and Automata 5cps
18- Database 1.1 4 cps
19- Database 1.2 5 cps
20- Database 2 5 cps
21- Hardware Architectures (VLSI 2) 5cps
22- Software Engineering 5cps
23- Base Technology 5cps
24- Business Application Systems 4 cps
25- Seminar 4 cps
26- Operational Research 5 cps
27- Operating Systems 6 cps
28- Information Managment 5cps
29- Computer Networking 5 cps
30- Artificial Intellegence 5 cps
31- IT project Management 5cps
32- Information Retrieval 5 cps
33- Modeling & Simulation 5 cps
34- Computer Graphics 6 cps
35- Web Engineering 6cps
36- Nero Fuzzy Systems 5cps
37- Object Oriented Programming 5 cps
38- Programming Project 5 cps
39- Control Systems 5 cps
40- Computer Architecture 5cps

Note: The courses above aren't listed in order.

There are like 4 courses left that are considered ( electives ) i.e there are some points left that the students can do courses with them as they wish, like Art or something like this. The above courses are mandatory, i.e every CE student must do them.

So what's computer engineering now?! What are the jobs for computer engineers? for example: If I want to work for Google, what might be the possible jobs?!

lisati
September 20th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I'm confused as to why you were told that computer engineering is about software, which is only part of the picture.

My understanding, confirmed by this web page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_engineering), is that it usually includes study of how the hardware is made.

hoppipolla
September 20th, 2009, 01:05 AM
My m8 just completed a degree in it.. maybe I should ask him (when he's awake... lol)

I think it has more to do with the hardware :)

I'll let Wikipedia have a go! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_engineering

hoppipolla
September 20th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I'm confused as to why you were told that computer engineering is about software, which is only part of the picture.

My understanding, confirmed by this web page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_engineering), is that it usually includes study of how the hardware is made.

Great minds man, great minds ^_^ lol

schauerlich
September 20th, 2009, 01:13 AM
CS is more focused on the software, with enough knowledge of hardware to do what they need to do.
CE is more focused on the hardware, with enough knowledge of software to do what they need to do.

Grickko
September 20th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Please guys read my courses carefully and give me your opinions.

Grickko
September 20th, 2009, 01:18 AM
My m8 just completed a degree in it.. maybe I should ask him (when he's awake... lol)

I think it has more to do with the hardware :)

I'll let Wikipedia have a go! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_engineering

Thanks man, please ask him also to read my courses, pleeeeeeeeeease :)

schauerlich
September 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks man, please ask him also to read my courses, pleeeeeeeeeease :)

Why don't /you/ read your courses, or go in for Student Advising?

Grickko
September 20th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Yeah guys I told you that I read the wikipedia page. But there's something that I can't understand. Why on earth would anyone employ a computer engineer? If a company needs an employee with good software capabilities, they would choose the CS students. If other company needs an employee with good hardware capbilites, they would choose Electronics, Electrical, or Hardware engineers!!

So why on earth would anyone employ me?! I think computer engineering students MUST study and MASTER booth CS and EE to get a job! i.e they MUST be as goog as CS students and as good as EE students, otherwise nobody won't find any jobs.

This is what I understood!

Claus7
September 20th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Hello,

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/ue/cus/ugdo/csvce/
I think that there you will find part of your answers which for me was very easy to find.

This is what I can tell you (as far as I have understood) about the difference between science and engineering. Most of the time this words will go together in order to represent a subject (here computers), yet they have a fundamental difference: science has to do more with a theoretical point of view, whereas engineering has to do more with an applied point of view. As with the web site I provide, as a computer scientist you will try to create new logarithms for faster computing for example, while as a computer engineer, you will try to put this cables together so as to make a chip run faster.

More or less, sometimes all these things are vague, and they do not relate with what you will do in the end (for example a master in biology might lead you to study bio-engineering).

Now in order to work for a big company...I think that this is another story.

Have a prosperous academic life!
Regards!

Grickko
September 20th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Why don't /you/ read your courses, or go in for Student Advising?

I did, and they told me what wikipedia says. But what confuses me is what I mentioned in my previous post.

I guess even Electronics undergraduates can get some programming books and be great programmers and at the same time EE engineers. So in this case they can be better than CE undergraduates.

So what's the point of CE?! Can you see my confusion now?

hobo14
September 20th, 2009, 01:47 AM
The courses look very similar to the courses in the CS degree I am currently doing, although you seem to have an extra couple of hardware courses.

Grickko
September 20th, 2009, 02:32 AM
The courses look very similar to the courses in the CS degree I am currently doing, although you seem to have an extra couple of hardware courses.

Also notice there are couple business courses. Now I'm totally confused!
Is your university in Germany?

Grickko
September 20th, 2009, 02:38 AM
The hardware related courses:

11- Circuit Theory 5cps
15- Microprocessors 5cps

The CS related courses:

18- Database 1.1 4 cps
19- Database 1.2 5 cps
20- Database 2 5 cps
23- Base Technology 5cps
35- Web Engineering 6cps

The CS+Business related courses (I guess):

^^I'm not sure if they are business related courses

Note: I didn't mention all courses in this reply. The whole courses are mentioned in the first post.

[h2o]
September 20th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Honestly I don't think you will get a good reply to your question.
I am a Computer Engineering student (Master) and we have profiles for electronics, software, control systems, computer vision, medical applications, AI and business (and probably a few more that I have forgotten).
Regardless of what profile you choose the first three years are the same and gives fundamentals in math, computer science, physics and electronics.
So as you see just because it is called "Computer Engineering" doesn't mean that you can always be sure that the content of the edeucation is exactly the same everywhere.

A lot of the profiles mentioned above are also shared between other programs such as electrical engineering or computer science.

If the list of courses you provided are indeed those that you will read then you will obviously have knowledge both in hardware and software and a little bit about engineering in general.

As for jobs: This will depend heavily on your country. Here I think Engineering students often have a much easier time finding jobs than their non-engineering friends. I also have a hunch that someone with a computer engineering degree often earns more than someone with a computer science degree.

If you have questions about your education I think you should ask both the University you are attending or any other kind of educational councelling where you live and not trust random people on the interwebs.

Grickko
September 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
;7979263']Honestly I don't think you will get a good reply to your question.
I am a Computer Engineering student (Master) and we have profiles for electronics, software, control systems, computer vision, medical applications, AI and business (and probably a few more that I have forgotten).
Regardless of what profile you choose the first three years are the same and gives fundamentals in math, computer science, physics and electronics.
So as you see just because it is called "Computer Engineering" doesn't mean that you can always be sure that the content of the edeucation is exactly the same everywhere.

A lot of the profiles mentioned above are also shared between other programs such as electrical engineering or computer science.

If the list of courses you provided are indeed those that you will read then you will obviously have knowledge both in hardware and software and a little bit about engineering in general.

As for jobs: This will depend heavily on your country. Here I think Engineering students often have a much easier time finding jobs than their non-engineering friends. I also have a hunch that someone with a computer engineering degree often earns more than someone with a computer science degree.

If you have questions about your education I think you should ask both the University you are attending or any other kind of educational councelling where you live and not trust random people on the interwebs.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have actually three questions please.

1-Can you please tell me where do you live, and the name of your university?

2-Yeah those are the courses that I'll do, do you think the courses are good?

3- Why do you think that Computer engineers in your country can find jobs easier and earn more many than CS people? What makes computer engineers better? I explained my confusion in previous posts.

^^^^Please tell me if you find the courses good. I'll have to do them in 5 years.

Thanks in advance.

[h2o]
September 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Thank you so much for your reply. I have actually three questions please.

1-Can you please tell me where do you live, and the name of your university?
I attend Linköping University in Sweden.

2-Yeah those are the courses that I'll do, do you think the courses are good?

I can't really say anything about that since I have no more information about your courses other than its name.

3- Why do you think that Computer engineers in your country can find jobs easier and earn more many than CS people? What makes computer engineers better? I explained my confusion in previous posts.
One possible reason is that engineering students get a much broader education and are thus assumed to be more flexible with what we do.
Another is that there is a title 'Civilingenjör' that you get when you graduate which is very well known in Sweden and also has a quite strong union.
I don't neccesarily think CE people are "better" than CS students. A lot of courses are shared at my university.
I chose my CE education instead of CS since I was not sure I really wanted to either work exclusively in the software industry or do CS research. Instead I chose the broader CE education which has allowed me to try out a lot of things before chosing my profile.

koshatnik
September 22nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
The hardware related courses:

11- Circuit Theory 5cps
15- Microprocessors 5cps

The CS related courses:

18- Database 1.1 4 cps
19- Database 1.2 5 cps
20- Database 2 5 cps
23- Base Technology 5cps
35- Web Engineering 6cps

The CS+Business related courses (I guess):

^^I'm not sure if they are business related courses

Note: I didn't mention all courses in this reply. The whole courses are mentioned in the first post.

Thats a good all round course imho. You need the business elements as you wont be able to project manage a team later in your career without demonstrating experience and knowledge of it. The Information Management, IT Project Management and Business Application Systems, would help towards that. Don't just focus on the techie bits. Remember this: you will want to be promoted one day! Get as wide a knowledge and experience base as possible.