PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I want to upgrade a laptop

Speedwagon
September 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM
That is rather old. A panasonic toughbook CF-37, with touchscreen. Currently has Win98SE on it, but it won't see the network. I also don't have any of the original discs that it came with, so if I screw up the laptop, I don't have a way to get it back to a semi-working windows setup.

Suggestions on this? I would like to have a working touchscreen on it still with Ubuntu, and I don't know enough about Ubunto to know if that's doable(though I imagine it is). And it's a P3, 128MB RAM, 10Gb HDD.

lisati
September 20th, 2009, 12:03 AM
That is rather old. A panasonic toughbook CF-37, with touchscreen. Currently has Win98SE on it, but it won't see the network. I also don't have any of the original discs that it came with, so if I screw up the laptop, I don't have a way to get it back to a semi-working windows setup.

Suggestions on this? I would like to have a working touchscreen on it still with Ubuntu, and I don't know enough about Ubunto to know if that's doable(though I imagine it is). And it's a P3, 128Mhz RAM, 10Gb HDD.

How much RAM again? I hope it's a typo but it looks like you said 128MHz RAM which I find a tad confusing......128MHZ sounds like a clock speed rather than a RAM capacity.

My initial thought is that it might be a challenge to get a usable copy of "regular" Ubuntu working, and a more lightweight distro might be easier. One to check out might be Puppy.

Speedwagon
September 20th, 2009, 01:12 AM
How much RAM again? I hope it's a typo but it looks like you said 128MHz RAM which I find a tad confusing......128MHZ sounds like a clock speed rather than a RAM capacity.

My initial thought is that it might be a challenge to get a usable copy of "regular" Ubuntu working, and a more lightweight distro might be easier. One to check out might be Puppy.

Whoops... 128MB RAM.

And found these specs online about it:

The CF-37's features include:
- Intel Celeron 366MHz CPU - 64MB SDRAM, expandable up to 192MB - 12.1" 800 x 600 TFT Active Matrix Color Touchscreen LCD with Anti-reflective technology - 6.4GB HDD - Internal 56K Modem, V90 Compliant, 14.4k Fax Class 1 - Touchpad pointing device - Type I x 1 or Type II x 1 PC Card Slot - Integrated 24x (max) CD-ROM Drive - Dimensions: 11.7"(w) x 9.4"(d) x 1.0"(h) - Weight: 4.3 lbs.