PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] which instant messaging program?

akrovatis
September 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
hey i am new in ubuntu world. i have tried pidgin and kopete but i not sutisfied. do you have any other program to suggest?

Roasted
September 19th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Really? You tried Pidgin and didn't like it? I use Pidgin on all of my systems, Vista/XP included... What was it about Pidgin you didn't like? Perhaps we can help seeing as though it's pretty customizable.

falconindy
September 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Empathy is another option, and it's going to be the default messenger in 9.10. I wouldn't say I'm diehard about Pidgin, but when I installed Empathy to try it out, I quickly went back to Pidgin.

akrovatis
September 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM
i now use kopete. there is same problem and after a while it log me out automaticaly. i search in settings but there nothing there. is any one knows samething about that?

SuperSonic4
September 19th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Dodgy internet connection?

Personally I use KMess (http://kmess.org/) from SVN (http://kmess.org/svn/):

Oops, I forgot to ask: what client(s) do you plan on using?

akrovatis
September 19th, 2009, 07:13 PM
if you mean that my connection is bad this true. the problem is that kopeto doesn't inform me about the disconection. i see the contact list like i was online. i use msn - hotmail. i also want the program to inform me about my e-mails like messenger and pidgin did. thanks you

SuperSonic4
September 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM
OK, just checking because both kopete and pidgin can handle more than one client at once.

KMess is msn only but I've heard that emesene isn't bad

akrovatis
September 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
i just testing kmess. it's ok for know thank you guys for now

akrovatis
September 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM
i don't have avatar. why?

SuperSonic4
September 19th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Because you haven't set one seems the obvious reason. Go to User CP and edit avatar and from there it is obvious what to do

akrovatis
September 19th, 2009, 07:59 PM
i have set one

randrews
September 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I use the client in gmail's web interface almost exclusively. After that, pidgin or whatever's handy generally prove suitable.

But I'm not too picky. heh

vineethkartha
September 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hi folks...
try this one
sudo apt-get install emesene
but i prefer pigdin

akrovatis
September 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM
at last i'm using emesene. it's good for me. i now have another problem with this programs. yesterday i tried to connect a webcam. only from kopete settings i could see my face but again i couldn't make a video conferense. today a friend of mine call me for a video conferense but i didn't even see the call.

akrovatis
September 27th, 2009, 04:36 PM
anybody?

grturner
September 27th, 2009, 04:37 PM
pidgin has my vote. I always liked gaim(old and outdated now), and pidgin came from gaim and seems better.

akrovatis
September 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM
anybody about my problem with video calls?