PDA

View Full Version : Replaced XP With Ubuntu On MY Brothers PC

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 05:58 AM
That is it! I am all fed up with going over to my brothers house and reinstalling Windows because they have a need to install everything that says click here. I installed Ubuntu and configured it for him and his 11 year old daughter. Now lets see them get spyware, malware and viruses. They have a 4 year old Gateway with a 1.2 GHZ Celeron, 128 megs of RAM and onboard Intel graphics. It takes an eternity to install anything on it and when you add malware/spyware into the mix it just becomes unusable.

Ubuntu installed on it like a dream. The 128 MB of RAM makes it a little slow but it is by no means unusable. Ubuntu detected all the hardware without a hitch. I configured the desktops and user accounts for both of them then I showed them all the cool programs and applications they get with Ubuntu without having to pay a dime.

Are there any others who have done the same thing or are considering doing it? Post your experiences and frustrations with relatives/friends computers.

earobinson
February 8th, 2006, 05:59 AM
adding one... maybe 2 more to the ranks!

Im thinking of buying a 300$ computer putting ubuuntu on it and giving it to my mom (she complains that she is scaird to use my dads computer because if it breaks it will be her fault) All she dose is check email.

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 06:11 AM
adding one... maybe 2 more to the ranks!

Im thinking of buying a 300$ computer putting ubuuntu on it and giving it to my mom (she complains that she is scaird to use my dads computer because if it breaks it will be her fault) All she dose is check email.

I told them to give it two weeks of using it and if they want XP back I will reluctantly change it back. (But I will no longer fix it. They will just either have to learn how themselves or go to the Geek Squad.)

earobinson
February 8th, 2006, 06:12 AM
My mom has never really used a computer so I just wouldent tell her its linux.

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 06:20 AM
My mom has never really used a computer so I just wouldent tell her its linux.

If it is preconfigured for her she will not know the difference. So far my brother was amazed at how usable it is. He also liked the wall paper I selected for him. ( It is the Ubuntu wallpaper with the nude midsection of a woman.)

Leo_01
February 8th, 2006, 06:39 AM
My story :

I was conguring linux to make it look better and my dad was like knocking at the door asking me to check out his system...
He installed the stupid bonzi buddy and his system started to act up! (A STUPID PURPLE CHIMP...)

He saw ubuntu's desktop and play with it for a while and told me that he wants ubuntu on his system...
i was like shocked!
i took like 1 hour to install and configure everything and it really rock! No problem with hardware and software...
i also dual boot his system with Win XP just incase he needs it. (It is so stupid just to install Win XP it takes 2 hours to install the Win XP NOT including the time used to install other softwares... It most likely adds up to like 4 hours...)

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 06:43 AM
My story :

I was conguring linux to make it look better and my dad was like knocking at the door asking me to check out his system...
He installed the stupid bonzi buddy and his system started to act up! (A STUPID PURPLE CHIMP...)

He saw ubuntu's desktop and play with it for a while and told me that he wants ubuntu on his system...
i was like shocked!
i took like 1 hour to install and configure everything and it really rock! No problem with hardware and software...
i also dual boot his system with Win XP just incase he needs it. (It is so stupid just to install Win XP it takes 2 hours to install the Win XP NOT including the time used to install other softwares... It most likely adds up to like 4 hours...)

Ahhh yes! The famous Bonzai Buddy. You just have to love the creativity of the Adware companies that come up with that stuff.

It actually took me 4 hours to install and configure Ubuntu for my brother. (Damn, his computer is slowwwwwwwwww!)

Leo_01
February 8th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Actually bonzi buddy is real cute! (i played it when my dad's system in infected with the adware that comes with bonzi buddy)
Who knew the bonzi buddy got hell lot of adwares...

poofyhairguy
February 8th, 2006, 07:05 AM
I converted my mom. She was not convinced until I installed the Gdesklets starterbar. Then it had something none of her friend's systems had.

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 07:08 AM
I converted my mom. She was not convinced until I installed the Gdesklets starterbar. Then it had something none of her friend's systems had.

My brothers system at 128 MB of RAM just can not handle gdesklets. I am in the process of building him a new computer with some spare parts and a old Nforce 3 Gigabyte motherboard. All I am waiting on is a new CPU (X2) for my system to complete his.

Virogenesis
February 8th, 2006, 07:11 AM
I converted myself if that counts

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I converted myself if that counts

Yuppers. ;)

WildTangent
February 8th, 2006, 07:42 AM
I converted 2. One friend has it on his laptop dual booted (hasn't booted XP in weeks), and another has it on 2 systems straight up, his server and his desktop. Though hes begging me to install XP as well so he can use Paint Shop Pro 8 (didn't work in WINE). Says he loves it other than that small niggle.

-Wild

TechSonic
February 8th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Geek Squad.)

THOSE ARE THE CRACK EATING DIPS THAT STOLE SOME OF MY BUSINESS AWAY! THAT WORD IS FORBIDDON!

Sirin
February 8th, 2006, 07:49 AM
That is it! I am all fed up with going over to my brothers house

If Ubuntu wasn't so complex for non-savvy users, I wouldn't be having to do the same thing. Now you know how I feel. :-?

Sirin
February 8th, 2006, 07:55 AM
THOSE ARE THE CRACK EATING DIPS THAT STOLE SOME OF MY BUSINESS AWAY! THAT WORD IS FORBIDDON!

They're everywhere. They do Ubuntu now. :twisted:

http://nuwanda94.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/dsc00333_2.JPG

briancurtin
February 8th, 2006, 09:02 AM
i think i know why

granite230
February 8th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I just had to give Ubuntu a shot when I figured I was really bored with Windows XP. This is the only pc in the house so I actually forced the rest of the family into using Ubuntu as well, just because I wanted to try it out. I tried some dual boots with some other distro's before but they all messed things up really fast.

Ubuntu was the first distro I really used so a lot of things went wrong while experimenting and I learned a lot about Linux that way. We used Ubuntu for about half a year but some part of my hardware doesn't seem to like Linux very much. So now I'm back to Windows XP but I still miss Ubuntu sometimes.
I think when Ubuntu improves even more, plus us getting another pc, I'll install Ubuntu again.

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM
They're everywhere. They do Ubuntu now. :twisted:

http://nuwanda94.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/dsc00333_2.JPG

Not my Ubuntu! I talked to someone from The Geek Squad once and he knew less about Windows/Computers(Hardware issues) than I do. That company is the biggest scam out there.

Brunellus
February 8th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Not my Ubuntu! I talked to someone from The Geek Squad once and he knew less about Windows/Computers(Hardware issues) than I do. That company is the biggest scam out there.
Geek Squad aren't there to be knowledgeable--they're there to fix common problems.

I'd venture to guess that 90% of Geeksquad calls are routine hardware/software installation, virus/malware cleaning, and home networking setup (with wizards!).

These are not the guys I'd call for help with Linux hardware issues.

Master Shake
February 8th, 2006, 04:51 PM
A friend of mine wanted me to install a ubuntu dual boot on her XP station a few weeks back. The only reason I didn't do it, was that I needed to re-familiarize myself with the disk partitioner.

Her kids (she has 9. Yes, 9!) are always downloading stuff, and like clockwork, every 4 months I'm over there cleaning the system.

I did give her a demonstration of how Ubuntu works with live CD (as well as leaving it with her).

I think I may head over there next week and install it for her.

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 11:24 PM
A friend of mine wanted me to install a ubuntu dual boot on her XP station a few weeks back. The only reason I didn't do it, was that I needed to re-familiarize myself with the disk partitioner.

Her kids (she has 9. Yes, 9!) are always downloading stuff, and like clockwork, every 4 months I'm over there cleaning the system.

I did give her a demonstration of how Ubuntu works with live CD (as well as leaving it with her).

I think I may head over there next week and install it for her.

I think constantly fixing peoples spyware/malware infested computers is a great motivator in switching those same people to Linux. The big issue is making sure it fits their individual needs.

wrtpeeps
February 8th, 2006, 11:31 PM
it is sometimes said that windows is the biggest recruiter for linux. Its problems benefit linux in many ways.

raublekick
February 8th, 2006, 11:35 PM
He also liked the wall paper I selected for him. ( It is the Ubuntu wallpaper with the nude midsection of a woman.)

Good choice:cool:

I did almost the exact same thing as you, mstlyevil. I told my sister I was sick of fixing her computer, and I asked her if I could install it. I even told her that her Windows games wouldn't work (but they weren't working in Windows, go figure). It turned out to be the right move though. She loves the games that come installed, and she even learned how to use Gimp and XSane for an art project.

nemik
February 9th, 2006, 08:14 PM

you should have had them sign your NDA. ;)

nemik
February 9th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I converted first myself and run it on basic server mode for my business. I then put it on my main desktop box at home and it is dual-booted on my laptop with XP. i still need XP for some applications for school unfortunately; otherwise i use ubuntu on there.

i also converted my sister and dad. they shared a computer in the living room. my dad's laptop is a powerboook so not much spyware there, but the living room one was FILLED with adware and crap every 3 months from my sister's promiscuous downloading and browsing.

after having to format and re-install windows 3 times, i got fed up; put ubuntu on there and told them if they wanted XP, they can call someone else. almost a year later now and ubuntu is still going strong and my sister is now more used to it than to windows.
I'm proud. :)

xequence
February 9th, 2006, 09:36 PM
(It is so stupid just to install Win XP it takes 2 hours to install the Win XP NOT including the time used to install other softwares... It most likely adds up to like 4 hours...)

Wow, thats crazy. Takes ubuntu MUCH longer to install for me... Then I have to go through all the trouble of trying to get java installed, and the codecs, and get the repos enabled... =P

mstlyevil
February 9th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I converted first myself and run it on basic server mode for my business. I then put it on my main desktop box at home and it is dual-booted on my laptop with XP. i still need XP for some applications for school unfortunately; otherwise i use ubuntu on there.

i also converted my sister and dad. they shared a computer in the living room. my dad's laptop is a powerboook so not much spyware there, but the living room one was FILLED with adware and crap every 3 months from my sister's promiscuous downloading and browsing.

after having to format and re-install windows 3 times, i got fed up; put ubuntu on there and told them if they wanted XP, they can call someone else. almost a year later now and ubuntu is still going strong and my sister is now more used to it than to windows.
I'm proud. :)

This is the kind of position I took. Windows is a good Operating system for the computer savy but for regular users that do not know how to lock it down and keep it clean it is a nightmare. I should start a Windows tech support company and make a killing on fixing peoples Windows installs.

xequence
February 9th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Windows is a good Operating system for the computer savy but for regular users that do not know how to lock it down and keep it clean it is a nightmare.

Wow. I just realised that is so extremly right... Its why I can keep my windows PC virus/spyware/whatever free and not use any form of ant-anything.

I'd venture to guess that 90% of Geeksquad calls are routine hardware/software installation, virus/malware cleaning, and home networking setup (with wizards!).

All they are, are people who will:

Come and "fix" your computer by installing an antivirus, and charge you alot

If that doesent work, charge you for a new copy of windows and install that, and say they fixed it.

suziequzie
February 20th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Are there any others who have done the same thing or are considering doing it? Post your experiences and frustrations with relatives/friends computers.

My not-quite-brother-in-law (boyfriend's brother) "volunteered" me to put Kubuntu on his wife's parents machine. Haven't seen him since he told me at the family Christmas party that he'd like me to do it for them. He told them how I'm so enthusiastic about Kubuntu and how I like it a lot and it's more stable than windows, etc, etc, that now they want to try it. But, if he and his wife are willing to pick me up here (3 cities west of them) and drive me to her parent's place (5 cities east of them) and treat me to Tim Horton's coffee on the way, good enough for me. Feed me, Caffeinate me, and I'm pretty helpful and docile.