PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] NVIDIA 6200 PCI Video Card seems to cause memory corruption.

Wlerin
September 19th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Up until 4 hours ago I couldn't get my nVidia card to work at all. The system wouldn't even recognise it. Finally, I put it in the first PCI slot, instead of the last, and voila, it works!

Problem is... now nothing else does.

I can't provide dmesg logs, since the system will not finish booting with the card inserted, and I don't know how to get logs from a failed boot.

All I can see while text is flying by are a lot of Call Traces, several Corrupted low memory warnings (usually right before the call traces), and finally an "init: [program] main process (####) killed by SEGV signal".

The exact errors are different each time. Once, I even got to the recovery mode prompt, but selecting an option caused a segmentation fault.

I know this isn't a lot to go on, but right now I'm kind of lost. What else should I be looking at? Is there any way to read the logs from those failed boots? Would disabling memory corruption checking "help"? How would I do that?

Some stuff from lshw:

description: Desktop Computer
product: Dimension 2350
vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
version: A02
width: 32 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.3 dmi-2.3 smp-1.4 smp
configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop cpus=1
*-core
description: Motherboard
product: 07W080
vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
physical id: 0
version: A00
slot: PCI2
*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: Mitac International
physical id: 1
version: A02 (03/24/2003)
size: 128KiB
capacity: 192KiB
capabilities: pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing escd cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb ls120boot zipboot biosbootspecification
*-cpu
description: CPU
product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 5
bus info: cpu@0
version: 15.2.9
slot: Socket 478
size: 2800MHz
capacity: 2800MHz
clock: 400MHz
capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up pebs bts cid xtpr
configuration: id=0
*-pci
description: Host bridge
product: 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
version: 03
clock: 33MHz
configuration: driver=agpgart-intel module=intel_agp
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 03
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
*-pci
description: PCI bridge
product: 82801 PCI Bridge
physical id: 1e
bus info: pci@0000:00:1e.0
version: 82
capabilities: pci bus_master
speed=100MB/s
Ubuntu Server Jaunty, kernel 2.6.28.15-server
nvidia-glx 180.44 binary drivers installed
The card is a GeForce 6200, NV44A.

Wlerin
September 23rd, 2009, 01:26 AM
bump

psyke83
September 23rd, 2009, 02:04 AM
Either the NVIDIA card or your motherboard seems to have developed a fault.

Try to boot in recovery mode (press ESC at boot to see GRUB menu). You may also want to try running memtest to see if there's any problems with your memory.

Wlerin
September 23rd, 2009, 02:25 AM
Thank you for your help :)

I managed to boot the system with the card installed by turning the card off in the BIOS, however, that doesn't solve my real problem, namely, getting the card to work.

With the card active, recovery mode also fails (I mentioned that somewhere in that wall of text above). Memtest doesn't find any errors, at least not after 40%, at which point I became antsy and decided to try something else *eyeshift*. I suppose I could run it again...

So far the symptoms seem to suggest the fault lies either with the video card or whatever part of the BIOS deals with video cards (other than the integrated one). But... I'm not sure where to go from there. Or how to, like, kludge it, and tell GRUB to ignore BIOS corruption..