PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Net Usershare Returned Error 255

Tapas Bose, India
September 19th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Hallo everybody.
Today morning I got an error n my Ubuntu 9.04 showing

There was an error while getting the sharing information.
'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

What does it mean? Is it a serious problem? How to resolve it?
Thanks in advance.

swerdna
September 19th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Hallo everybody.
Today morning I got an error n my Ubuntu 9.04 showing

There was an error while getting the sharing information.
'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

What does it mean? Is it a serious problem? How to resolve it?
Thanks in advance.

The "usershare" facility is accessible via Nautilus. Sometimes the setup for usershares needs a little tweaking. You can make the missing directory with these commands:

sudo mkdir /var/lib/samba/usershares
sudo chgrp sambashare /var/lib/samba/usershares
sudo chmod 1770 /var/lib/samba/usershares

You'll also need to check these lines are in the [global] section of the Samba configuration file, smb.conf, which you'll find at /etc/samba/smb.conf:

map to guest = Bad User
usershare allow guests = Yes
usershare max shares = 100
usershare owner only = False

swerdna
September 19th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Actually, all of the above might be unnecessary if you haven't installed the package nautilus-share which is available in e.g. Syanaptic in System --> administration --> synaptic --> nautilus-share

That might auto configure all of it for you.

Tapas Bose, India
September 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Actually, all of the above might be unnecessary if you haven't installed the package nautilus-share which is available in e.g. Syanaptic in System --> administration --> synaptic --> nautilus-share

That might auto configure all of it for you.
Thank you swerdna . But I had installed nautilus-share before.

swerdna
September 19th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Thank you swerdna . But I had installed nautilus-share before.

OK then, execute the three commands, and make sure the four lines are in the [global] stanza of smb.conf.

Also, make sure the group "sambashare" exists and that you are a member of that group. You can check that in the Panel icon --> System --> Administration --> Users and Groups --> Unlock --> Manage groups --> sambashare --> Properties.

Tapas Bose, India
September 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM
OK then, execute the three commands, and make sure the four lines are in the [global] stanza of smb.conf.

Also, make sure the group "sambashare" exists and that you are a member of that group. You can check that in the Panel icon --> System --> Administration --> Users and Groups --> Unlock --> Manage groups --> sambashare --> Properties.
Thank you.
In the smb.conf file the lines are not present in global stanza. In authentication stanza the last line consist "map to guest = bad user".
What should I do? Should I copy the lines given by you into the global stanza and execute the three commands?
Also I am the member of sambashare.

swerdna
September 19th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Thank you.
In the smb.conf file the lines are not present in global stanza. In authentication stanza the last line consist "map to guest = bad user".
What should I do? Should I copy the lines given by you into the global stanza and execute the three commands?
Also I am the member of sambashare.
Yep

Tapas Bose, India
September 19th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Thank you. How can I find whether the problem is solve or not?

swerdna
September 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Thank you. How can I find whether the problem is solve or not?

Reboot and test:

Do you still get the error when you do whatever it was that created the error message?

If "no" then problem is solved.
If "yes" then describe in full detail what you do to produce the error.

Tapas Bose, India
September 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Thank you very much. I reboot my computer. But no error is shown. Another thing I want to tell you, the net usershare error was shown for the first time, today. After that, today, I restarted my computer for 3 times, but the error message is not displayed. I think the problem is solved.

Also I am facing a problem with my firefox for one month or over. I had enabled "Show text during boot" option from System -> Administration -> Start up Manager. From that text I saw some failure of loading of firefox 3.5. Like:

*Skipped: /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox-3.5
Error: #include <abstractions/private-data> not found at line 81 in /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox-3.5
Error: #include <abstractions/ubuntu-mail> not found at line 166 in /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox-3.5
Error: #include <abstractions/ubuntu-console-email> not found at line 167 in /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox-3.5
Error: #include <abstractions/ubuntu-gnome-terminal> not found at line 167 in /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox-3.5
*Failure: /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox-3.5 failed to load [fail]

I have uninstall and again install firefox-3.5 for 3 times. But the error message is still displayed during shut down and startup.

swerdna
September 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Thank you very much. I reboot my computer. But no error is shown. Another thing I want to tell you, the net usershare error was shown for the first time, today. After that, today, I restarted my computer for 3 times, but the error message is not displayed. I think the problem is solved.
It is fixed -- well done

I have uninstall and again install firefox-3.5 for 3 times. But the error message is still displayed during shut down and startup.

I can't help you with this. Seek help in the forum "General Help". Start a new thread there. Good luck.

cyjambo
June 25th, 2010, 09:57 PM
The "usershare" facility is accessible via Nautilus. Sometimes the setup for usershares needs a little tweaking. You can make the missing directory with these commands:

sudo mkdir /var/lib/samba/usershares
sudo chgrp sambashare /var/lib/samba/usershares
sudo chmod 1770 /var/lib/samba/usershares

You'll also need to check these lines are in the [global] section of the Samba configuration file, smb.conf, which you'll find at /etc/samba/smb.conf:

map to guest = Bad User
usershare allow guests = Yes
usershare max shares = 100
usershare owner only = False

The first 3 commands did it (didn't even have to log out) , thanks a lot :)
I uninstalled samba completely before and reinstalled it, and folders were not created...
This did the job.
Nice info.

Peace

swerdna
June 25th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Glad to hear.