PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Playing .mkv files

Sukotto
September 18th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I am having a difficulty playing .mkv files in Ubuntu. The video and sound lag so much.

mangurt
September 18th, 2009, 10:47 PM
What are you using to play .mkv files? VLC, mplayer?

Sukotto
September 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I have tried both of those. The problem still happens.

lovinglinux
September 19th, 2009, 12:23 AM
The problem is probably not the mkv container, but the resolution of the video. Since mkv are popular for storing HD content, I bet your video has at least 720p. That's the real issue, since such resolutions can drain a lot of CPU cycles.

I have similar problems in Linux and Windows, because my processor is not powerful enough to play such videos.

You could use smplayer, since it allows you to easily tweak the performance settings, but I don't know which would be the best. You have to play with the settings a little bit to find which gives you better results.

Another option would be to re-encode the video, reducing it's resolution. But this is a drastic measure. I'm sure someone will come with a better solution.

Sukotto
September 19th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the info! I just got a new HD 1080p monitor so I am trying to take advantage of that. I do need to upgrade my computer, currently its a AMD Athlon64 3500+ 1.5 gig ram Nvidia Geforce 6 series video card. When I upgrade I want to get a faster processor and a video card with HDMI outs, more RAM, etc...

lovinglinux
September 19th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the info! I just got a new HD 1080p monitor so I am trying to take advantage of that. I do need to upgrade my computer, currently its a AMD Athlon64 3500+ 1.5 gig ram Nvidia Geforce 6 series video card. When I upgrade I want to get a faster processor and a video card with HDMI outs, more RAM, etc...

I don't know if you need to upgrade, I surely need to :)

You could try to tweak your video settings, but 1080p is not for every machine, that's for sure.