PDA

View Full Version : Application deployment on Ubuntu

Johnsie
September 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM
With every new release of Ubuntu you get newer versions of some of your favourite applications. Currently the Ubuntu repositories act as a middle-man between the developers and the user. This means that quite often you might not have the latest version of software unless you make a special effort to get the latest version direct from the developer.

Who should be responsible for the versioning/deployment of application level software? Canonical or the application developers themselves?

How much time do Ubuntu developers spend focusing on application level stuff?

Should Ubuntu devs focus more on the operating itself than on the applications?

Is the 6 month release cycle long enough to make adequate improvements to Ubuntu?

Discuss

Paqman
September 18th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I was under the impression much of our packaging actually filtered down from Debian anyway.

Ever since the advent of PPAs it's been a heck of a lot easier to stay on the bleeding edge if you want to anyway.

earthpigg
September 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
who "should" be responsible?

the question needs to be more specific.

as all of the software on a default Ubuntu install has been licenced to the community with the Four Fundamental Software Freedoms intact, the community is thus responsible for it. I am a part of that community, so I myself am partially responsible for maintaining it.

that personal interpretation for myself (that i do not expect everyone or anyone else to abide by) is why i file bug reports and participate in the forums and the like.

if Canonical would like to take the burden of responsibility for development/support/deployment of certain software by putting it in certain repositories, then i will be grateful for that, but by no means will i expect it to continue forever.

If i paid for commercial support from Canonical, then i would view them as responsible to the extent established in the support agreement.

Whiffle
September 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I think for Ubuntu's goals, the devs should pick a set of apps and underlying OS utilities, make sure they're stable, and put them together into a pretty package. If people desire newer versions of stuff, they can get it straight from the original developer of the program. The way ubuntu is structured with the 6 month release cycle, it would be a grand train wreck if the Ubuntu devs had to continuously maintain new versions of packages for the last version of ubuntu while simultaneously preparing new versions for the next release.

I think the 6 month release cycle is fine so long as they stick to making evolutionary changes rather than revolutionary changes.

koleoptero
September 18th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I bet $10 that this topic is going to deteriorate to arch vs ubuntu in less than three pages.

23meg
September 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Who should be responsible for the versioning/deployment of application level software? Canonical or the application developers themselves?

Neither; Debian maintainers and Ubuntu developers not employed by Canonical to work on Main, the Canonical-maintained component (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components) of Ubuntu. The vast majority of the packaging work that enables you to install packages from a centralized repository is done by Debian maintainers.

How much time do Ubuntu developers spend focusing on application level stuff?

Lots, but that doesn't take anything away from work done on "the OS itself", since it's essentially done by different people with different interests and skill sets. The "Universe" component is maintained by volunteers from the community, not developers paid by Canonical.

Should Ubuntu devs focus more on the operating itself than on the applications?

The question is irrelevant for volunteers, since they determine their own focus according to their skills and interests, and irrelevant for paid developers, since they work on "the OS itself" and Canonical's other products.

Is the 6 month release cycle long enough to make adequate improvements to Ubuntu?

Until such time that the benefits of changing its length can be demonstrated, yes. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5068722&postcount=10)