PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Power or Application Issue?

darms
September 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Dear all,

As a ubuntu user myself and I'm always proud to be part of Ubuntu. But there is an heavy problem everytime when i'm on battery mode. Especially when I'm travelling. For your information, I've installed Ubuntu Desktop Jaunty 9.04 on my HP Compaq Presario V3000 series.

When i'm on battery mode, I've realized that when I'm on Facebook with my Evolution Mail and on my online radio streaming on rythmbox. And when i return back my facebook, which is opened on Firefox 3.5.3. My whole computer freeze.

The freeze sympton does not occur everytime, but only when i'm scrolling in facebook with those apps on. And it turn my whole screen turn black, and sound. Even though i press on my power button, none works to force shutdown my system. I was being pushed to unplug my battery and plug back my battery again to turn it on.:confused:

I have no problem while i'm on AC Adapter. I hope that someone can help me out on this. Thank you and long live Ubuntu!:(

NightwishFan
September 17th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Perhaps disable auto suspend in power management if it is enabled? That might be what is trying to happen. Not sure.

Penguin Guy
September 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM
As for the computer not turning off, hold down the power button for three seconds or so; if it doesn't turn off then you have a serious problem.

darms
September 18th, 2009, 03:07 AM
NightwishFan: I've been to the System --> Preference ---> Power Management and I don't see any where else for me to disable the suspend mode. Please advice.

Penguin Guy: Yeap, even i press the power button for like 5 mins, it still has no respone until i have to manually unplug the battery. Yup, it's very critical.

And I was wondering why and does anyone having problem with ubuntu with similiar cases while you're on battery mode?:(

Bölvağur
September 18th, 2009, 03:21 AM
NightwishFan: I've been to the System --> Preference ---> Power Management and I don't see any where else for me to disable the suspend mode. Please advice.

System → Preferences → Power Management → General
When the power button is pressed: Shutdown
When the suspend button is pressed: Hibernate (this is better in my opinion than suspend)

Now check On Battery and select it so when the lit is closed turn off the monitor. Just go nuts on the settings and check out what every switch does, it will help you a lot.

darms
September 18th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Thanks and appreciate your help, but it still doesn't solve my problem. I've did all like you wish but when i switch to stand-alone (batt) mode. My system still freeze and blank screen.