PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here a UCP (Ubuntu Certified Professional)?

diablo75
September 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and noticed that Canonical is offering an online training course to get a UCP certification for $350. I figured it would be a good investment. But I wanted to see if anyone else here has done this and what they thought of the course in general. Was it worth the money?

slakkie
September 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM
350 is not much for a training course, IMO.

Bodsda
September 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and noticed that Canonical is offering an online training course to get a UCP certification for $350. I figured it would be a good investment. But I wanted to see if anyone else here has done this and what they thought of the course in general. Was it worth the money?

I believe that minimum requirements are LPIC 1. You would need to complete that exam first, but to be honest if you are doing this for a job, I would do the Linux Professional Institute exams and then get Red Hat certified unless the specific job is an Ubuntu job

markbuntu
September 17th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Just get the books and take the test. Its cheaper. LPI would be the best first step to getting certified.

beercz
September 18th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I believe that minimum requirements are LPIC 1. You would need to complete that exam first, but to be honest if you are doing this for a job, I would do the Linux Professional Institute exams and then get Red Hat certified unless the specific job is an Ubuntu job
+1

I'm LPI-1 certified, soon to do the level 2.

altariel
March 9th, 2010, 03:35 PM
yes, I did pass the UCP exam :)

ukripper
March 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
From my personal experience, go for RHCE, well worth it if you pass!

DaF1oh1
March 12th, 2010, 07:25 AM
but what if your Job is mainly Debian (like myself) Because Ubuntu is based on debian, and the services that there showing in the course outline we use at my workplace. But do I still need that other qualifercation as well?

Frak
March 12th, 2010, 07:31 AM
The UCP is next to useless when trying to find a job. Get your RHCE or Novell CLE instead.

ukripper
March 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM
The UCP is next to useless when trying to find a job. Get your RHCE or Novell CLE instead.

+1 can't agree more ^^

DaF1oh1
March 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah but it covers LDAP and rsync, samba, and a few more things that we use at my work, and all are servers are debian, and 350 is nothing, but the extra knowledge will help me in the long run.. Have you done the online course before, does it work well?

altariel
March 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Well, since you in any case must pass the LPIC-1 to be able to try for the UCP, you can get an CLA thanks to the recent collaboration with novell as well ...

http://www.lpi.org/eng/about_lpi/what_s_new/novell_and_lpi_partner_on_linux_training_and_certi fication

PmDematagoda
March 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Thread closed due to necromancy.