PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] latest VLC 1.01 won't play any video

bsmith1051
September 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I'm running 9.04 with an ATI 2100 videocard and the previous VLC 0.9.9 worked fine, aside from some minor GUI bugs. I successfully upgraded another system to VLC 1.01 (from the PPA recommended on the Videolan.org web-site) so I did the same on this system. Now, VLC crashes anytime I play a video?

I'm guessing it's yet another 'bug' with the unsupported ATI videocard. My model seems to be the ONE model that is both too new to be supported by the open-source driver and too old to be supported by the ATI proprietary.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? Worst case, of course, is to fallback to the old VLC. I'm hoping there's some advanced video setting that will fix whatever is causing the crash...

P.S. I'd also LOVE to update the video driver but I've given-up on that?

mc4man
September 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM
If you used the korn ppa the open synaptic, search vlc and remove libvlccore0

Then try opening vlc with this and see if any better (if you needed any config chages with 0.9.9 then you'll need to reset them in tools -> preferences

vlc --reset-config --reset-plugins-cache

Otherwise maybe search vlc, do a complete removal of all vlc packages, go into home folder and delete the vlc folders in .local/share ; .config ; .cache and then re-install

also if using pulse make sure you install the vlc-plugin-pulse

bsmith1051
September 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM
thanks for the suggestion re the pulseaudio plugin; I did not have that installed but when I added it, there was no change.

I have learned one additional thing, though. Mplayer won't crash but it also won't playback with the default video renderer, xv. If I switch it to X11, however, it works. I tried the same thing in VLC but, again, it crashed. I tried the null renderer and it worked (just audio and no crash) so clearly the issue is with the video renderer.

Again, I think I need to get a proper video driver....

bsmith1051
September 18th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Just went through the whole ATI-Video-Update-Why-Not research again. The proprietary ATI Catalyst 9.3 driver does support my card, but it only works on older versions of the X and X.org video-servers. So as long as I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 (with X.org 1.6) I'm stuck...

scragar
September 18th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Try changing the option that sets video to play in a seperate window to the interface, there was a bug at once point which caused VLC to crash if they shared a window.

mc4man
September 18th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Haven't had an ati since a 9800pro on a p3, so don't know.

You could try using the OpenGl video output in vlc, won't hurt to try. ( Uses less buffers

bsmith1051
September 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Try changing the option that sets video to play in a seperate window to the interface, there was a bug at once point which caused VLC to crash if they shared a window.
That was it! I disabled the option "Embed video in Interface" and it works again. Thanks for your help!