PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB hubs do they cause issues?

wynn22
September 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM
What sort of impact do USB hubs have in unbuntu?

The reason I ask is when I connect my Belkin 4 port usb 2.0 powered hub, things start to go wrong. Device names seem to change, can't recognise or mount disks and I even managed to lock up the sysem a few times trying to investigate the problem. Take the hub away - no issues. Same hub works ok under windows. Are there 'known' issues with regards to hubs, or is it more likely to be config related at my end?

bumanie
September 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I have not had problems with usb hubs, however the one I use does not have a separate power supply so I can't answer for that type.

Whiffle
September 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
No problems here.

But, I do know that if I have my hub plugged in at boot, with a card in its cardreader, windows won't boot correctly.

Excedio
September 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Zero problems here as well. I have a Dynex USB Hub that also uses a power cord. Everything seems to have worked perfectly.

ubongo2008
September 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM
besides the fact that you'll share the bandwidth with all attached devices, no

wgilbert5
September 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have never had a problem with various brands of hubs and I have been using them extensively with both Ubuntu and Windows for years. Unfortunately, I don't think the problem is in the hub.

scrooge_74
September 17th, 2009, 05:01 PM
A friend has one (dont remember brand), but pluggin the usb wifi card to it is a bad idea. It will drop the signal or just wont plain work

pbateman
September 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
The only issue i've had is when plugging in an external harddrive to the hub, Ubuntu won't recognize it. I have to plug it directly to the built in ports.

oldsoundguy
September 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
thought this should be pointed out. USB hubs are the court of last resort when you run out of on board inputs. They add a second "USB device" layer between the computer and the plug in. And setting up a daisy chain compounds that.
MANY items, especially keyboards, pointing devices, printers and scanners and external drives need to be plugged in directly.

And the mention of an item plugged into a hub that freezes Windows boot.. yes .. I have a Sony Dual layer external DVD USB burner that does just that if it plugged into a hub .. has to be powered down and then powered up after boot.

Whiffle
September 17th, 2009, 07:19 PM
thought this should be pointed out. USB hubs are the court of last resort when you run out of on board inputs. They add a second "USB device" layer between the computer and the plug in. And setting up a daisy chain compounds that.
MANY items, especially keyboards, pointing devices, printers and scanners and external drives need to be plugged in directly.

Hmm, I don't know about the keyboards and mice. For a long time I had kind of a poor man's KVM setup where I had my mouse and keyboard plugged into a usb converter, which plug into the hub on my computer monitor, along with some other stuff. Then to switch computers I just moved the plug for the hub on the monitor between the computers, worked flawlessly.

And now, I have 2 mice plugged into my monitor's hub as well.

I think it has more to do with powered vs non powered and the quality of the hub than whether its direct to the computer or not. Not in all cases ( i know my scanner demands to be plugged in directly...), but many.

LewRockwell
September 17th, 2009, 07:44 PM
using Kensington externally powered USB hub on an Acer Aspire One with no problems

we hide the netbook behind the 26 inch Samsung LCD monitor/tv which is connected to the Acer's VGA output

the headphone jack sends sound to the Samsung

and the keyboard, mouse, printer, and external hard drive are all plugged into the hub and the hub's cable is the only one going back to that poor little lonely netbook

netbook abuse!