PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] in Windows Me Firefox will get online, but not IE

rockerphil
September 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM
ok, i know this is probably not the right forum to post this to, but i've been pounding my head against a wall on this one for a couple of days now, and this forum has been great to me in the past. so after countless desires to toss the old machine out the window and quite a few Google searches i'm hoping for some help here. here's what's going on. i've installed Windows Me on an old Compaq Deskpro running a 350 MHz processor and 256 MB of PC100 SD RAM simply for the novelty and nostaligia of the OS. well i installed Firefox via a removeable USB drive and it'll get online just fine, but when i try to get online with IE all i get is that bloody "Internet Connection Wizard" that wants to detect a modem. the machine has an old Kingston PCI Ethernet card that shows up under Damn Small Linux as a Light-On LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adaptor Version 1.0. well like i said, the machine will get online with Firefox which means the ethernet card is working just fine, but in order to get the system updated i need IE to function. any ideas guys? any help is appreciated and much thanks in advance,

Phil

afroman10496
September 17th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Try turning it off in window$ firewall, or go to preferences>advanced>network>settings and turn off the proxy.

rockerphil
September 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM
thanks for the speed response, and please remember that we're talking about Windows Melinium Edition

afroman10496
September 17th, 2009, 12:54 AM
thanks for the speed response, and please remember that we're talking about Windows Melinium Edition
so did it work?

rockerphil
September 17th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Windows Me doesn't come with a firewall by default. that didnt heppen untill Windows XP, and there is no "Prefferences", so no

afroman10496
September 17th, 2009, 12:58 AM
oh... sorry. also, the preferences thing is in firefox. another idea is to start firefox in safe mode.

XKCD64
September 17th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Trash it and install Ubuntu. :P

If not, downgrade to 2000 or 98. ME was a huge mess, almost as bad a Vista.

afroman10496
September 17th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Trash it and install Ubuntu. :P

If not, downgrade to 2000 or 98. ME was a huge mess, almost as bad a Vista.
yes.

rockerphil
September 17th, 2009, 01:11 AM
lol, i know, that's one of the big reasons i installed it. like i said, for the novelty of the OS. that and i'd like to see if it's really as painfull as i remember it now that i've gained quite a bit more tech savvy over the years, so any help on getting IE online with it so that i can get all the drivers and the many many patches installed would be greatly appreciated. much thanks in advance,

Phil

louieb
September 17th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Your just going to have to open IE and play around with the options. Some place in there you tell you on a lan and not on a dial up modem. BTW IE4/5/whatever?

Its been a long time since I've used IE. even longer since I used win98 or win me. check the file menu (i think) for the work off line check box.

rockerphil
September 17th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Your just going to have to open IE and play around with the options. Some place in there you tell you on a lan and not on a dial up modem. BTW IE4/5/whatever?

Its been a long time since I've used IE. check the file menu (i think) for the work off line check box.

again, thanks to all of you that responded, and louieb, i just had one of those moments where you remember no matter how good you've become (or think you've become) with computers that you can have moments where you feel like a complete moron. the LAN thing worked, and it auto-detected the settings. again, thaks to all of you. marking this thread as solved.

Phil

pablo180
September 17th, 2009, 01:25 AM
You've installed a new installation of Windows ME, which hasn't been supported for years, and you're trying to get on the Internet with Internet Explorer? You're brave!

Do you have a firewall or AV running? All that PC is going to do is pick up every worm/virus made for every exploit since 2000!

I had a Windows 98 PC a few years ago and it ended up just being a honey trap, and not on purpose, it was a nightmare, so I wiped it and installed Ubuntu.

rockerphil
September 17th, 2009, 01:30 AM
You've installed a new installation of Windows ME, which hasn't been supported for years, and you're trying to get on the Internet with Internet Explorer? You're brave!

Do you have a firewall or AV running? All that PC is going to do is pick up every worm/virus made for every exploit since 2000!

I had a Windows 98 PC a few years ago and it ended up just being a honey trap, and not on purpose, it was a nightmare, so I wiped it and installed Ubuntu.

lol, that's the point. i'm wanting to see how long i can keep the OS up and running before having to wipe and reinstall, cus last time i ran Windows ME i couldn't keep it running longer than 6 months before becoming so bogged down by viruses that the machine wasn't much more than an expensive doorstop. and yes, i do intend to install Avast! AV using the minimal install along with several antispywares with an old version of either ZoneAlarm or Comodod as a firewall

edit: and the only reason i wanted to get online with IE was to retrieve all available updates and patches. after that i'm getting rid of IE and using Firefox only