PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Philadelphia Libraries Closing October 2nd - All Of Them

HappinessNow
September 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
All Free Library of Philadelphia Branch, Regional and Central Libraries Closed Effective Close of Business October 2, 2009 http://libwww.freelibrary.org/closing/

Very sad to see a whole Library System close in any major city.

Sad day for the 'City of Brotherly Love'.

Archival Reference:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/15/philadelphia-libraries-cl_n_287745.html

dmglouis
September 16th, 2009, 09:18 PM
That's so sad. I can't imagine living in a place without a public library.

pwnst*r
September 16th, 2009, 09:22 PM
holy crap :(

SunnyRabbiera
September 16th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Guess now they need a really pricy library to take its place...

steeleyuk
September 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this happens in lots of places over the next decade or two. I can certainly see it happening in the UK, cutting services is what we're good at.

HappinessNow
September 16th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Guess now they need a really pricy library to take its place...

They already have one of the nicest libraries that I have seen, if they had the funds I am sure they would be happy to keep the current library system open.

chucky chuckaluck
September 16th, 2009, 09:44 PM
that's pathetic. what are homeless people going to do?

zer010
September 16th, 2009, 09:49 PM
It's another major step in dumbing down Americans. Keep the people in the dark so they're more easily controlled. One of the first major steps was American Idol/Reality type television. Sad....:(

yabbadabbadont
September 16th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Ben Franklin is probably rolling in his grave about now...

zer010
September 16th, 2009, 09:53 PM
ben franklin is probably rolling in his grave about now...

+100

utnubuuser
September 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Read: "Ten Reasons Not To Hate Taxes" - A copy should be available at your local library!!

sydbat
September 16th, 2009, 11:21 PM
http://libwww.freelibrary.org/closing/

Sad day for the 'City of Brotherly Love'.WOW! Unbelievable.

I cannot imagine how any Library system could simply close. Here they are planning the expansion of the system including a new Library tower in the city centre.

samjh
September 17th, 2009, 12:20 AM
That is very sad. One of the staples of community education shut down? I hope that their legislature will enable to be funded. :(

Ms_Angel_D
September 17th, 2009, 12:33 AM
This is horrible, public library's should be a top priority as they are very important to furthering community education.

t0p
September 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Read: "Ten Reasons Not To Hate Taxes" - A copy should be available at your local library!!

Wouldn't do any good in Philadelphia though. Heh.

starcannon
September 17th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Wow, I'm stunned. I hope this does not happen here.

Warpnow
September 17th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Subsidized e-ink technology with the money made by selling off library stock and buldings.

I'd be in favor of it, then a government website of all public domain works. Who would need a library if I could grab an e-ink reader for less than a video game and have access to the vast majority of human knowledge?

earthpigg
September 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
that is absolutely horrible.

zer010
September 17th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Subsidized e-ink technology with the money made by selling off library stock and buldings.

I'd be in favor of it, then a government website of all public domain works. Who would need a library if I could grab an e-ink reader for less than a video game and have access to the vast majority of human knowledge?

e-ink: no familiar smell of books, not that today's generation would know about that

gov't website: too easily edited for content (censorship)

access: books don't require electricity or net access, EMP makes e-anything useless

dragos240
September 17th, 2009, 02:00 AM

Is that where you live? I thought you lived in japan.

t0p
September 17th, 2009, 02:01 AM

But an awful lot of public domain works are already available for download at Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page) and its partners and affiliates (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:Partners%2C_Affiliates_and_Resources). One of the great things about public libraries is the huge amount of copyrighted work available - books, sheet music, records and movies. Screw the "vast majority of human knowledge": that's what teh interwebs are for!!

starcannon
September 17th, 2009, 02:03 AM

E-books are great, and I use them frequently; but, nothing beats a real book. Easier on the eyes, feels good in the hand, I dunno, its just not the same on a computer screen.

Warpnow
September 17th, 2009, 02:11 AM

e-ink: no familiar smell of books, not that today's generation would know about that

gov't website: too easily edited for content (censorship)

access: books don't require electricity or net access, EMP makes e-anything useless

1. After a century, people would complain that books did not have the familiar smell and feel of e-ink.

2. Because private projects would be illegal? The government now controls libraries, they can and have pulled books from the shelf. It is, on the other hand, virtually impossible to remove a file from the internet entirely.

3. Electronic devices do not require internet access. Files can be handed from person to person -exactly- as books can, on a vast array of media. In fact, its easier to do it digitally, seeing as how it is easier to replicate them, and cheaper. A CD is far cheaper than a binder full of paper and a pen. How many books could I load onto a couple cent DVD? A whole hell of a lot.

E-ink devices require minimal charging (every few weeks from what I hear) and technology is bound to improve over time to cut that down. Books, on the other hand, require considerible care. To have a considerible amount of them you have to have a large living space, with some place dedicated for them. To get to a library, you need a car, at least in most places.

I'll assume the part about EMP is a joke.

But an awful lot of public domain works are already available for download at Project Gutenberg and its partners and affiliates. One of the great things about public libraries is the huge amount of copyrighted work available - books, sheet music, records and movies. Screw the "vast majority of human knowledge": that's what teh interwebs are for!!

There is truth there, but I hardly think this will last anyway. The only reason it works is because so few people use their libraries. If people started using them to the degree it impacted sales companies would try to put a stop to it as much as they do file sharing.

I also like to think in terms of economically sustainable changes. Getting everything for free with no price device is not sustainable except on a tiny scale. If e-books were standardized then publishers would exist in a state of perfect competition and the price of books would plummet.

Warpnow
September 17th, 2009, 02:13 AM
E-books are great, and I use them frequently; but, nothing beats a real book. Easier on the eyes, feels good in the hand, I dunno, its just not the same on a computer screen.

Ever toyed with the new e-ink readers?

I want one so bad, but at over $200? My LCD works. Heh.

zer010
September 17th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I'll assume the part about EMP is a joke.

Not really.:)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/1281421.html

HappinessNow
September 17th, 2009, 02:33 AM

I don't live in either Philadelphia or Japan. I do live in the USA but on the opposite coast.

Sealbhach
September 17th, 2009, 02:37 AM

Yeah, you can pick up a book anytime, put it down anywhere, I love just turning the page, simple things like that. I'm just not comfortable reading from a screen.

starcannon
September 17th, 2009, 02:38 AM
1. After a century, people would complain that books did not have the familiar smell and feel of e-ink.

Sure, once something becomes familiar, it also gains a nostalgic value; but, people don't give up on walking simply because they love their cars; I likewise won't give up on Books simply because I like my e-Books.
/shrug, I'm not against e-Books, I'm just not of the opinion that they should be a book replacement either, I like them there as a convenience.

JDShu
September 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM

You just answered one of the things thats been bothering me since I joined this forum. 今幸福makes alot more sense in Japanese than in Chinese.

Anyway, this is terrible. How can they shut down such an essential educational resource? They must be really strapped for cash. I'm guessing they plan to reopen the system when they have the resources.

pwnst*r
September 17th, 2009, 02:42 AM

^^truth.

jimrz
September 17th, 2009, 02:55 AM

And which government would you trust to maintain such a website and the integrity of the works held there?

Warpnow
September 17th, 2009, 03:10 AM
And which government would you trust to maintain such a website and the integrity of the works held there?

...this is not an Orwell novel, the world isn't so simple. When information goes online it can be easily and simply replicated. Private mirrors can be hosted, by every government and private organization, or some joe with enough money and time to build and run a server. That is the beauty of the internet.

samjh
September 17th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Yeah, you can pick up a book anytime, put it down anywhere, I love just turning the page, simple things like that. I'm just not comfortable reading from a screen.

Yup. I can read a book for over an hour without feeling tired. But from an electronic screen, my eyes feel strained within minutes.

Sometimes, you need to get away from the buzz of electronics and curl up with a rustic paperback. :)

hanzomon4
September 17th, 2009, 04:00 AM

What?!?!

chucky chuckaluck
September 17th, 2009, 04:24 AM
It's another major step in dumbing down Americans. Keep the people in the dark so they're more easily controlled. One of the first major steps was American Idol/Reality type television. Sad....:(

apparently, you never saw the ted mack amateur hour.

yabbadabbadont
September 17th, 2009, 04:27 AM

And let us not forget the immortal, "Gong Show."

tgalati4
September 17th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Library closings are a familiar tactic. Get the public in an uproar then raise taxes to reopen them.

HappinessNow
September 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Not a government!, Google.

zer010
September 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM

apparently not

dmizer
September 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Yeah, because obviously a failed US economy was intentionally perpetrated by the US government.

Many cities in the US are probably one or two steps away from complete bankruptcy. This is no conspiracy, this is basic economics.

Skripka
September 17th, 2009, 02:17 PM
...this is not an Orwell novel, the world isn't so simple. When information goes online it can be easily and simply replicated. Private mirrors can be hosted, by every government and private organization, or some joe with enough money and time to build and run a server. That is the beauty of the internet.

It is, only easily accessed if it is scanned in the 1st place.

Ever tried to do original research? Old paper is the only way it is possible for much of it-why? Because there is gawd knows how much of it.

Give me paper or give me death.

gn2
September 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Sounds like a big recycling opportunity, get all those library books converted into something people will find useful.

unisol
September 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM
thats a shame for the kids and adults who depend on it as their main resource. i believe they are also closing reecreation centers, and maybe cut the police force.the mayor went to harrisburg. hopefully, he can get some funds to avoid this catastrophy.

TuckLive
September 17th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Sounds like a big recycling opportunity, get all those library books converted into something people will find useful.

That's an awful statement. Unfortunately a high percentage of people probably agree.

sydbat
September 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM
It is, only easily accessed if it is scanned in the 1st place.

Ever tried to do original research? Old paper is the only way it is possible for much of it-why? Because there is gawd knows how much of it.

Give me paper or give me death.I agree with this 100%. I do tons of research and find that the majority of it is done via physical materials = paper.

Sure, many places (both government and private) are moving toward a 'paperless' environment, but they are only prioritizing new 'works' (for lack of a better term) to be done electronically. Most of these archives are still old school (paper and microfilm). Only when they have the time to do so are they scanning older documents into electronic formats.

MikeTheC
September 18th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Who cares? My local Barnes & Noble library takes care of all my needs.

HappinessNow
September 18th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Who cares? My local Barnes & Noble library takes care of all my needs.
Friends don't let friends shop at Barnes & Noble.

geekygirl
September 18th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Friends don't let friends shop at Barnes & Noble.

No they go to Borders 'Libraries' instead....

HappinessNow
September 18th, 2009, 06:01 AM
No they go to Borders 'Libraries' instead....

Two sides of the same coin!

They use Book Burro (http://www.bookburro.org/) and buy on line for the cheapest price they can find and/or use http://www.gettextbooks.com/ for school books.

...but you can't beat "FREE" at the local library!

kevdog
September 18th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Yea but I thought the recession was over....

HappinessNow
September 18th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Yea but I thought the recession was over....It has only just begun!

MikeTheC
September 18th, 2009, 06:08 AM
It has only just begun!

Which brings to mind this certain song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VQX2Xn7tI)

Elfy
September 18th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Breaking News - Legislation to keep libraries open passes! Thu, September 17, 2009

Just minutes ago, the Pennsylvania State senate passed bill 1828 by a vote of 32 to 17. For all of you who have been following the saga over the city's budget crisis, this is indeed the legislation that was needed for the City of Philadelphia to avoid the "Doomsday" Plan C budget scenario, which would have resulted in the layoff of 3,000 city employees and forced the closing of all libraries.

Would tend to imply that they didn't shut and that the whole thread is based on a false premise ;)

HappinessNow
September 18th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Would tend to imply that they didn't shut and that the whole thread is based on a false premise ;)...or it could mean that enough people like myself have actually taken action and contacted the legislature in Philadelphia to make a change in the right direction.

Thus making this thread a worthy subject of action.

Is the glass half full or half empty?

We are enormously grateful to everyone who advocated on our behalf. More than 2,000 letters to state legislators were collected from our libraries, and countless others made calls and sent emails underscoring how important public libraries are to the economic, educational and social life of our city.http://libwww.freelibrary.org/blog/index.cfm?srch=3&postid=952

Elfy
September 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Depends of course on whether you posted the thread before or after the legislation was passed.

If before it was presumptious -
Philadelphia Libraries <possibly> Closing October 2nd - All Of Them, if after it was just trolling ;)

HappinessNow
September 18th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Depends of course on whether you posted the thread before or after the legislation was passed.

If before it was presumptuous - , if after it was just trolling ;)

It was before,...I am just very glad to hear that they are staying open after all. :P

Elfy
September 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
It was before,...I am just very glad to hear that they are staying open after all. :P

Oh me too - Philadelphia is a looooong way from me, but I'm all for books being available for all and for free.

HappinessNow
September 18th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Oh me too - Philadelphia is a looooong way from me, but I'm all for books being available for all and for free.

Thread marked as [SOLVED] :)

gn2
September 18th, 2009, 09:27 AM
It wasn't "possibly".

The announcement had been made that the libraries would definitley be closing.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2009/09/philadelphialibrariesclose.html

HappinessNow
September 18th, 2009, 09:33 AM
It wasn't "possibly".

The announcement had been made that the libraries would definitely be closing.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2009/09/philadelphialibrariesclose.html

It was all over the internet that they were 'definitely' set to close, I actually heard about it on Facebook from a friend in New York.

It was the action of people all over the internet, Facebook, Twitter, and even possibly here that (helped) change things.

BTW the title: "Philadelphia Libraries Closing October 2nd - All Of Them"

Was a direct quote from the huffington post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/15/philadelphia-libraries-cl_n_287745.html) article title here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/15/philadelphia-libraries-cl_n_287745.html),

The news was published here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/15/philadelphia-libraries-cl_n_287745.html

This is the article that my friend posted on Facebook (I will add it to the OP for archival reference)

The Quote from the Philadelphia Free library website has always been in the OP also:

All Free Library of Philadelphia Branch, Regional and Central Libraries Closed Effective Close of Business October 2, 2009 http://libwww.freelibrary.org/closing/

Which back up the Huffington Post, which back up the premise of this thread, which backup the thousands of people who took action, etc. etc.

I would also find it very hard to believe that no one in the beginning of this thread did not link to the website when the announcement above was up.

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
that good news just made my day.

Ms_Angel_D
September 18th, 2009, 06:46 PM
This is great News!