PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Eliminating dual boot and reformatting previous Windows Drive

DWL52
September 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Hello all. I switched to Ubuntu 9.04 about a month ago from Vista :smile:, and need a little help. Linux is on a 60 gig drive and works fine. However, there are still a few files I can't get rid of on the previous Windows drive, which is a 500 gig. What I need help with is to reformat or repartition the 500 gig drive and eliminate the dual boot screen at start up without disturbing anything on the Linux drive. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,
Dave

AndyCee
September 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
No problem.

1) To remove the windows partition

install gparted by typing:

sudo apt-get install gparted
in a terminal, or look for it in System -> Administration -> Synaptic

Open GParted in System->Administration->Partition Editor. You will see a graphical representation of your drive. Windows will be installed on ntfs or fat32. You can simply right-click on it and delete it. Make sure you understand what's going on, as partitioning always has a risk of losing all data. Ask if you're not sure.

If you want to expand the ext3 partition (holding Ubuntu) to fill the gap, you'll have to open GParted from a liveCD.

If all goes well GRUB shouldn't be affected.

2) To remove entries in GRUB

Back up /boot/grub/menu.lst and open it with your favourite text editor. Remove the windows bit near the bottom. Mine looks like this:

title Windows 7 Release Candidate (Loader)
root (hd0,3)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

Simply delete that, save the file and reboot. If it fails, follow these (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351)instructions to fix grub. If it works, you can hide the menu entirely by replacing the line

#hiddenmenu

with

hiddenmenu

(ie. remove the hash)

Does that help? Let us know how you go or if you have any questions.

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Andy, thanks ever so much! Your instructions worked like a charm. I am now FREE of
Windows altogether! Now I have another question. When I boot, I get a 10-second timer, like I did when the dual boot was installed, that says something about grub will be started in X seconds. How can I eliminate that and just have it load?

Thanks,
Dave

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Andy, one more question. Now that I have the 500 gig drive repartitioned and reformatted, I can't put anything on it or take anything off unless I am logged in as root. When I right click on the drive icon, click on Properties, then on Permissions, it says "the permissions of sda1 could not be determined" How do I change permissions so I can use it without being logged in as root?

Thanks,
Dave

AndyCee
September 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Andy, thanks ever so much! Your instructions worked like a charm. I am now FREE of
Windows altogether! Now I have another question. When I boot, I get a 10-second timer, like I did when the dual boot was installed, that says something about grub will be started in X seconds. How can I eliminate that and just have it load?

Thanks,
Dave

Have a look in /boot/grub/menu.lst for the number 10, and replace it with the time you'd like. I think it's this bit:

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 10

to

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 0

AndyCee
September 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Andy, one more question. Now that I have the 500 gig drive repartitioned and reformatted, I can't put anything on it or take anything off unless I am logged in as root. When I right click on the drive icon, click on Properties, then on Permissions, it says "the permissions of sda1 could not be determined" How do I change permissions so I can use it without being logged in as root?

Thanks,
Dave

I can think of a few ways. Do you want to keep it as a seperate partition or extend the Ubuntu one into that space?

Can you open a terminal and type:

sudo fdisk -l

and paste the output?

muteXe
September 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Thanks,
Dave

You could mount that partition in your home folder. But you might not want to do that if there's other users on your machine wanting that partition too.

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Andy, the output of "sudo fdisk -l" is:

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x617fe23a

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 60801 488384001 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 61.4 GB, 61471162368 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7473 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x434bbe61

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 1 7163 57536766 83 Linux
/dev/sdb2 7164 7473 2490075 5 Extended
/dev/sdb5 7164 7473 2490043+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Thanks,
Dave

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 11:45 AM
No, I'm the only user on this machine, and it is not on a network.

Thanks,
Dave

muteXe
September 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Then (i think) if you mount it in your home folder, rather than /media say, you shouldnt have any permission problems.

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Then (i think) if you mount it in your home folder, rather than /media say, you shouldnt have any permission problems.

I tried going into the home folder to do as you said, but couldn't fine any folder or file that gave any indication of being able to mount a drive. One other problem: When I click on the 500 Gig icon to mount it, (not in the home folder, just is Places), I get the message "Unable to Mount volume". When I click on the details, it says "cannot get volume.fstype.alternative". If I go into root mode, I do not have this problem, which makes me think it's a permission problem. Can you shed any light on this for a newbie?

Thanks.

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Well, the process continues, but may be a little simpler. Further info. When I log in as root, go into media folder, accesss the 500 gig drive, change the permissions to myself, and do the same in the /dev/ folder with the sda and sda1 files. then log out and back in as myself, everything works fine. However, when I reboot the computer, everything goes back to the way it wass before. How can I keep the permissions when I reboot?

Thanks,
Dave

cjv8888
September 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I tried going into the home folder to do as you said, but couldn't fine any folder or file that gave any indication of being able to mount a drive. One other problem: When I click on the 500 Gig icon to mount it, (not in the home folder, just is Places), I get the message "Unable to Mount volume". When I click on the details, it says "cannot get volume.fstype.alternative". If I go into root mode, I do not have this problem, which makes me think it's a permission problem. Can you shed any light on this for a newbie?

Thanks.

Try the following:

First create a mount point

sudo mkdir /media/sda

Then mount the drive

sudo mount /dev/sda /media/sda

Then change owner to yourself

sudo chown -R username: /media/sda

Now you should be able to mount it without being root

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I tried to follow your instructions, but when I tried to mount the drive, I got the message that I must specify the filesystem type. ???

Thanks,
Dave

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Another thing that puzzles me, and may shed some light on the problem. When I'm logged in as myself, and I go into /media/, the 500 gig drive is not shown in that folder, but it is when I'm logged in as root.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

cjv8888
September 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM
try

sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda /media/sda

assuming that you have formatted the drive to ext3

cjv8888
September 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Another thing that puzzles me, and may shed some light on the problem. When I'm logged in as myself, and I go into /media/, the 500 gig drive is not shown in that folder, but it is when I'm logged in as root.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

That is probably because when you are logged in as yourself, the drive is unmounted. The drive is owned by root so it shows up when you logged in as root.

garyed
September 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I have a question also.
Wouldn't it be better to mount the drive in fstab so it mounts automatically every time at boot up?

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I tried your suggestion and got the following error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

Any Ideas how to resolve this? Also, another thing is that when I unmount the volume to try cxvj8888's suggestion, the 500 gig icon disappears from the media folder.

Thanks,
Dave

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I have a question also.
Wouldn't it be better to mount the drive in fstab so it mounts automatically every time at boot up?

Gary, that's ultimately what I want to do, if you can help accomplish it. Another thing that I've done is log in as root, set the permissions for the sda and sda1 files in /dev/ to myself, as well as the 500 gig icon in /media/.

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I've changed ownership to myself, I've changed permissions to myself, and as long as I go into root and mount the drive, then log out and back in as myself, everything is fine, as long as I don't unmount the drive, or reboot the computer. If I do then everything goes back to this: I go into Places, click on the 500 Gig icon to mount it, and I get the message "Unable to Mount volume". When I click on the details, it says "cannot get volume.fstype.alternative". Does anyone have a solution before I pull out what little hair I have>

Thanks,
Dave

garyed
September 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Gary, that's ultimately what I want to do, if you can help accomplish it. Another thing that I've done is log in as root, set the permissions for the sda and sda1 files in /dev/ to myself, as well as the 500 gig icon in /media/.
I'm sorry but i haven't a clue.
I was watching this thread & just wondering why fstab wasn't mentioned.
I guess until you can manually mount the drive you won't be able to do it in fstab.

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry but i haven't a clue.
I was watching this thread & just wondering why fstab wasn't mentioned.
I guess until you can manually mount the drive you won't be able to do it in fstab.

OK Gary, I guess it all goes back to the file system type not being recognized. But when I reformated and repartitioned the drive, I formated it in the ext3 type. Should I have formatted it in something different? I used GParted Partition Manager.

DWL52
September 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
OK, maybe this newbie is missing something, and if so, someone please enlighten me. I just went into a root terminal, changed ownership of a couple of files, specifically /dev/sda and /dev/sda1, to myself, then rebooted the computer, and pulled those files back up and the ownership is back to root. I find it hard to believe that this is the way it works and I think this relates to not being able to mount the 500 gig drive without going into root. Can someone please help me und3erstand this?

egalvan
September 17th, 2009, 04:16 PM
This is what I have in my fstab for an ext3 drive that is mounted at boot.

# Entry for /dev/sda5 :
UUID=0933d680-d893-40fa-a01d-3c819f0b2ea3 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

LABEL=swap none swap sw 0 0

note that / is referenced by UUID, while swap is referenced by LABEL.
This is my way, as I find LABEL to be easier to read than UUID.
This machine has not been fully changed to LABEL, though.

further, bodhi. has an excellent "How-to fstab" at this post...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131

one of the points he stresses is that partitions that are not in fstab can only be mounted by root.

DWL52
September 18th, 2009, 01:25 AM
[quote=egalvan;7964067]This is what I have in my fstab for an ext3 drive that is mounted at boot.

# Entry for /dev/sda5 :
UUID=0933d680-d893-40fa-a01d-3c819f0b2ea3 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

LABEL=swap none swap sw 0 0
note that / is referenced by UUID, while swap is referenced by LABEL.
This is my way, as I find LABEL to be easier to read than UUID.
This machine has not been fully changed to LABEL, though.

I've done everything that everyone has suggested, and I still cant get it to work. Here is my fstab in its entirety:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
UUID=91b7dc2a-7c12-4a66-9fcb-6f5cc8d2e1fc / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# Entry for /dev/sdb5 :
UUID=2f68117e-26bb-440c-8755-b66c8a3e2150 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
# Entry for /dev/sda1 :
Label=WD500G / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/sda /media/sda user,auto,exec 0 0

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I repartitioned and reformated the drive to the ext3 file system, rather than the NTFS sytem mentioned at the top of my fstab file. When trying to mount the drive while logged in as myself I get the error "Cannot Mount volume WD500G" Under details I get "Cannot get volume.fstype.alternative." Can someone PLEASE help me figure this out so I can use my 500 gig drive?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

egalvan
September 18th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I've done everything that everyone has suggested, and I still cant get it to work. Here is my fstab in its entirety:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

# Entry for /dev/sda1 :
Label=WD500G / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

/dev/sda /media/sda user,auto,exec 0 0

,I repartitioned reformated to the ext3 file system, rather than the NTFS sytem mentioned at the top of my fstab file.
When trying to mount the drive while logged in as myself I get the error "Cannot Mount volume WD500G"
Under details I get "Cannot get volume.fstype.alternative."
Can someone PLEASE help me figure this out so I can use my 500 gig drive?
Dave

OK, a few of observations...

is the label of the drive WD500G ?

post the output of

sudo blkid

to let us see...

Next you are referencing the drive twice, it seems...
once with LABEL=WD500G
once with /dev/sda

also, you quoted my example... so you are mounting the drive at "/", or the root... not correct.

next, are you sure the drive is not mounted?

run Disk Partitioner (gparted) (System -> Administration) and check on whether it sees that drive or not.
It should show up. Does it show a mount point?

if not, this is good, so you can try the following...

for now, comment out the two lines I quoted above...
add a # at the beginning of the lines, this effectively erases them.

Then...

CHOOSE ONE ONLY, ONLY ONE EXAMPLE, PLEASE NOT BOTH !
red color high-lights the difference

================================================== ============
IF YOU WANT THE DRIVE TO SHOW ON THE DESKTOP THEN USE THIS ONE

edit fstab

sudo etc/fstab
and add this line below the ones you commented out...

LABEL=data_drive /media/WD500G ext3 relatime 0 2

then type these in a terminal

sudo mkdir /media/WD500G
sudo mount -a

go to Places -> Computer -> File System
and open the 'media' folder...

the drive SHOULD show as WD500G

and their SHOULD be an icon on your desktop.

if not, reboot.

if STILL not, then scream and shout, and run about.

================================================== ===================
IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE DRIVE TO SHOW ON THE DESKTOP THEN USE THIS ONE

edit fstab

sudo etc/fstab
and add this line below the ones you commented out...

LABEL=WD500G /mnt/WD500G ext3 relatime 0 2

then type these in a terminal

sudo mkdir /mnt/WD500G
sudo mount -a

go to Places -> Computer -> File System
and open the 'mnt' folder...

the drive SHOULD show as WD500G

and their SHOULD NOT be an icon on your desktop.

if not, reboot.

if still not correct, then scream and shout, and run about.
================================================== =================

AND, I'm out of ideas...

except, if the drive is empty, then nuke it from orbit to be sure,
using dban (Darik's Boot And Nuke)...
NOTE... THIS IS DANGEROUS TO YOUR DATA...
IT WILL WIPE DRIVES...
IT IS BEST TO DISCONNECT DRIVES ON WHICH YOU WANT TO CONSERVE THE DATA.

Then using gparted, recreate the partition and format.

and try again.

and I'm really out ideas...

where's Bohdi. when you need him?