PDA

View Full Version : [other] Mediatomb transcoding on headless server

Udayakiran
September 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Is there any way to implement transcoding in Mediatomb on a headless ubuntu server? I have tried to install vlc, but it tries to install xfce also. So, is there any alternative?

Udayakiran
September 17th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Sorry to *bump* this up, i'm getting a bit desperate.

Have you ever heard of Transcode? Seems it is a set of command line tools for transcoding.

Udayakiran
September 19th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Final *bump*. Anyone?

tristan5
October 2nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
I've got the same problem. ;-)
Unfortunately I use a PS3 to view my media which reside on a Ubuntu headless machine. Using the PS3 to watch video files is really painful, I don't know why SONY allows such a restricted group of video codecs. :-(

If you are using mediatomb to transcode video files I think there are some options. Using vlc is one of them but it seems that you have to install the whole vlc package, which depends on a graphical environment (Gnome, xfce ...). So installing vlc on a headless machine seems to not make any sense.

Probably there are more encoders available that do not require that kind of burden on our machines. I heard something about mencoder and ffmpeg encoder but I do not know anything right know about this stuff so I cannot tell. :-|

fraser_john
March 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Have you read http://www.vanalboom.org/node/14?

I am currently using Twonky but there are some things that my Panasonic plasma TV won't recognize. The above details how to transcode everything on the fly within mediatomb, so I will be looking at it over the w/e.

Blues-
March 10th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Yes .. I use mediatomb and transcoding on my headless server.
But I do not use VLC .. I use ffmpeg

fraser_john
April 5th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I ended up using the PS3 Media Server and found a config file for the Panasonic plasma tv that works really well, very pleased indeed.