PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How much of yuor swap is used by ubuntu

sumeshgupta
September 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I have 2GB RAM and have created 1.5GB swap partition. However my conky has never shown swap being used. RAM usage fluctuates with each program I run. Swap is always 0/1.5GB. Why is it therefore necessary to create a swap partition? or is conky showing wrong figures?

Mike_IronFist
September 16th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I have 2GB RAM and have created 1.5GB swap partition. However my conky has never shown swap being used. RAM usage fluctuates with with each program I work with. Swap is always 0/1.5GB. Why is it therefore necessary to create a swap partition? or is conky showing wrong figures?

Whenever a computer running Ubuntu hibernates, it saves all the data it has in RAM to the swap partition.

In addition, Swap does other cool stuff. It allows your computer to run faster because it will allocate little bits of itself to processes that Ubuntu needs to run, and it also allows you to use up more than your system's RAM, since it can operate as virtual memory.

And if that doesn't sound all that intriguing, remember that it's still needed for hibernating, so it's worth having around.

pmlxuser
September 16th, 2009, 09:30 AM
the figures are right. in the ages where RAM was so small the essence of a swap was very big nowadays the essence of Swap is very minimal and you have observed its almost never used. But may be sometimes you will use it. usually swap is used when RAM is Full, swaping running programs with idle to utilise the limited resource of RAm , but with 2GB of RAM and normal computer use it is enough not to require a swapping process.

misfitpierce
September 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Well until you use up most of your ram, atleast 80% of it you wont see your SWAP go anywhere... Its ram written on harddrive which is slower but there in case of emergencies.

I only got a GIG of ram but most I ever seen used up was like 1% of 2.9GB when I had tons of stuff open using a ton of ram... Atm its 0.1% of 2.9GB. I had a bunch of stuff open earlier though like a billion tabs in firefox and video editor with LMMS music maker and some photo editing going on and so on.

kixome
September 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
0% of 1.7gig

ausgado
September 16th, 2009, 09:38 AM
try reading the following item on Debian http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ia64/apcs03.html.en this may help as Debian is the base OS for Ubuntu. Hope this helps.

sunchiqua
September 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
10-200Mb / 1024Mb ( depends on what I do .. video transcoding takes a lot more than that ).

earthpigg
September 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM
How much of yuor swap is used by ubuntu

none, i dont have one :D

slakkie
September 16th, 2009, 10:24 AM
0% atm of 502 Mb

TenPlus1
September 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM
same here, no swap needed...

tomBorgia
September 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Just had to expand mine to 3GB... I was maxing out 1GB doing day to day stuff (it's an old computer only 1GB RAM). So there [-(

Perfect Storm
September 16th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I have 4GB RAM and I made a 2GB of swap. The reason I did that is because I like to heavy stuff like image editing, video editing and audio editing. If you're do stuff like that, it's highly recommended to set a big swap (or a lot of RAM).

But normally when I gaming/listening music/web etc. It don't get used.

NightwishFan
September 16th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Here is a good link:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

I would always have a swap, just in case. It is also needed for hibernation. Sometimes when I run GIMP using an SVG or a game, my swap gets used.

del_diablo
September 16th, 2009, 04:54 PM
The requirements for hibernation is a bit more than the amount of RAM you got.
I would not recommend having it as a file at all, windows does with that it freely scales upwards that and we all see how much it suffers from fragmentation.

wojox
September 16th, 2009, 04:58 PM
1.5 G, Swap gets used on heavy flash pages.