PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] complete newb "sudo" problem

cutoffmyfireman
September 16th, 2009, 06:17 AM
first ten minutes ever using linux so give me a break here, lol. trying to install flash. and I get this error

"failed to run /usr/sbin/synaptic =hid main window= non interactive 'set selections file'. /tmp/tmpLlbLGS as user root. the underlying authorize mechanism (sudo) does not allow to run this program."

wtf. basically says i need the administrators permission, but thats what I am. help?

thanks in advanced for leveling with me, and feel free to poke fun as long as you solve the problem, ha.

pastalavista
September 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM
How were you trying to install flash? What application prompted that error message?

stumbleUpon
September 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu..!!

If you are the only user on your machine, then your password is also the root password. Thus when you need to perform some tasks that require administrative privileges, then you can use your own password.

This and many other details are explained in the freely available book here

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html

Regarding installation of packages, you need to use synaptic and this also requires administrative privileges (which means again the same password as yours). See here for more info on this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

zeroseven0183
September 16th, 2009, 06:26 AM
I think what it's saying is that you run the command with sudo. Did you include sudo before the command (assuming it's executed in the Terminal).

You can also download the Flash Player in the Download site of Adobe (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/). Just select .deb in the dropdown box for Ubuntu. Once downloaded, you will be asked for the root password.

By the way, welcome to the Forums!

cutoffmyfireman
September 16th, 2009, 06:27 AM
i appreciate the quick replies, and yeah I'm using the password I logged in with.

...maybe I don't have administrative privileges, but this is the only account on the computer. hmmm

cutoffmyfireman
September 16th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I tried to upload a screencap of the error, but 250free is saying it doesnt have a name. wtffff.

oh cruel fate, why have you bestowed this ignorance of linux upon me?

I must not be the admin right? thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

Geoff918
September 16th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Methinks you are doing this the hard way in some way shape or form. My advice is the following:

Go to Applications
Drop down to Add/Remove
Search for "Ubuntu Restricted Extras"
This will install flash-nonfree, etc. for you as well as some other things you may desire. I believe it also includes MP3 support, Java, etc.

Paqman
September 16th, 2009, 08:09 AM
+1 for ubuntu-restricted-extras

cutoffmyfireman: You'll find that installing software on Linux is different from on Windows. But here's the good news: it's a lot easier and safer!

On Windows you have to search for the software yourself, find some site, figure out if it's trustworthy, download yourself, then manually run the installer, then find whatever random name it's installed into your menus as. Then good luck trying to keep it updated!

On Linux all you need to do is open your package manager, search for the name, tick and "apply". Done! And it'll automatically update itself, which is (IMO) awesome.

The basic package manager is at Applications > Add/Remove, and there's a more comprehensive one at System > Admin > Synaptic Package Manager.