PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Questions from a would-be newbie

Powell41
September 16th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Good Evening Folks:

I am considering giving Ubuntu a tryout but I have a few questions I would like answered:

1. Your information states that Ubuntu is virtually virus free, however I do a lot of P2P downloading as well as digging into some pretty arcane sites for information pertinent to my university courses. Will I still be able to run my AV program (Shield Deluxe) with this O/S?
2. Will my anti-spyware app. (Spybot-Search & Destroy) run on this O/S? Is it necessary?
3, Will my BitTorrent application (Vuze) still be accessible?
4. Will my P2P downloading app (eMule) still be accessible?
5. Will the games app. (Shockwave) that I download for my grandkids still be accessible?
6. Will my file converter & burning app (DivX) still work on your O/S?
7. If I install Sun Microsystem's office suite, will documents produced in this format be readable by people not running Ubuntu? I have encountered problems with my Vista word processor when sending term papers to my tutor and to the university. Most of them use MS Office Word which is not compatible with Vista's MS Works Word so I have to carry both systems. When you add in Adobe PDF it means I carry three separate word processors and I'm not sure if I want to carry four of them. As it is, when I'm downloading, uploading, and converting files my RAM is pretty tired without having additional apps running.

Many thanks in advance for any enlightenment you can give me. I've heard good things about Ubuntu and I'd like to try it, but I'd like to make certain it's right for me.

Best Regards
Powell Lucas

k33bz
September 16th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Good Evening Folks:

I am considering giving Ubuntu a tryout but I have a few questions I would like answered:

1. Your information states that Ubuntu is virtually virus free, however I do a lot of P2P downloading as well as digging into some pretty arcane sites for information pertinent to my university courses. Will I still be able to run my AV program (Shield Deluxe) with this O/S?
2. Will my anti-spyware app. (Spybot-Search & Destroy) run on this O/S? Is it necessary?
5. Will the games app. (Shockwave) that I download for my grandkids still be accessible?
7. If I install Sun Microsystem's office suite, will documents produced in this format be readable by people not running Ubuntu? I have encountered problems with my Vista word processor when sending term papers to my tutor and to the university. Most of them use MS Office Word which is not compatible with Vista's MS Works Word so I have to carry both systems. When you add in Adobe PDF it means I carry three separate word processors and I'm not sure if I want to carry four of them. As it is, when I'm downloading, uploading, and converting files my RAM is pretty tired without having additional apps running.

Many thanks in advance for any enlightenment you can give me. I've heard good things about Ubuntu and I'd like to try it, but I'd like to make certain it's right for me.

Best Regards
Powell Lucas

Ubuntu is virus free. As far as alot of the programs you have mentioned. Unfortunately for you they will NOT work. Good news is Ubuntu (as well as any other linux os) has programs that are very similar and for the most part work better than the native windows programs.

QIII
September 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Just a comment: It is a bit over the top to say that Ubuntu is virus free. Kasperski reported in 2006 that there were roughly 800 Linux viruses "in the wild". (Compare that with HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Windows viruses). The vast majority of them are virtually ineffective because of the way that Linux is structured. Unless you sign in as root and have figured out how to install them, you are probably not going to have to worry about them... for now. The community is constantly on guard and vulnerabilities are addressed so quickly that they are rarely exposed. There are thousands and thousands of eyes improving open source code.

Viruses may be passed on (although without likely problems in Ubuntu) through infected emails and files. So, I'll get to that in a minute.

Good Evening Folks:

See above. You may want to use AV in Ubuntu to scan emails and other files so that you don't pass them on to your friends who use Windows.

2. Will my anti-spyware app. (Spybot-Search & Destroy) run on this O/S? Is it necessary?No, they will not run. And they are essentially unnecessary. As I said above, there is very little likelihood that you will have to worry about viruses.

3, Will my BitTorrent application (Vuze) still be accessible?Vuze is available, but most of us use the torrent client that comes with Ubuntu: Transmission.

4. Will my P2P downloading app (eMule) still be accessible?If it is a Windows application, no. Windows applications do not run on Linux platforms, unless you use something like Wine or Crossover Linux, neither of which runs all Window programs equally well. If you have a machine with enough resources to handle it, you can run Windows itself in a Virtual Machine. But that is expensive in terms of resources. If it is not available, there is almost certainly an alternative.

5. Will the games app. (Shockwave) that I download for my grandkids still be accessible?Gaming is a constant source of consternation for Linux users. Games are primarily written for the Windows market. Again, Wine, Crossover Linux or Windows in a Virtual Machine.

6. Will my file converter & burning app (DivX) still work on your O/S?Depends. See http://labs.divx.com/node/720

7. If I install Sun Microsystem's office suite, will documents produced in this format be readable by people not running Ubuntu? I have encountered problems with my Vista word processor when sending term papers to my tutor and to the university. Most of them use MS Office Word which is not compatible with Vista's MS Works Word so I have to carry both systems. When you add in Adobe PDF it means I carry three separate word processors and I'm not sure if I want to carry four of them. As it is, when I'm downloading, uploading, and converting files my RAM is pretty tired without having additional apps running.Open Office is, in almost every regard, compatible with Office. MS Works is different than Office, and often does not itself play well with Office.

Best Regards
Powell LucasThe beauty of Ubuntu is that you can run the LiveCD without changing your machine and see what you think. Be aware that a live session running from the CD will be MUCH slower than the performance you would get with a full install, and it may be difficult for a newcomer to make changes that will persist into the next session. It can be done, but that is an answer for another day.

You may also test Ubuntu out by installing it more or less as a program inside Windows via Wubi, but I've never used Wubi.

But be aware of the following equation: Ubuntu <> Windows. Don't expect it to be just another Windows with a different background. There is often a steep learning curve. But that is worth it if you are at all interested in "freeing" yourself from the "other" OS.

Ms_Angel_D
September 16th, 2009, 04:45 AM
You may want to have a look at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

3, Will my BitTorrent application (Vuze) still be accessible?There are plenty of torrent applications available in linux.

4. Will my P2P downloading app (eMule) still be accessible?Emule will not how ever amule will http://www.amule.org there is also frostwire.

5. Will the games app. (Shockwave) that I download for my grandkids still be accessible?Shockwave doesn't work on linux flash does. There are plenty of children's games available for Linux in the repositories.

6. Will my file converter & burning app (DivX) still work on your O/S?Divx software doesn't work on Linux.

Open office can be configured to automatically save files in .doc format, so that MS office will open them.

Here are a few links for further reading:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com
https://help.ubuntu.com/

Good Luck!

mrbiggbrain
September 16th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Good Evening Folks:

Linux is not virus free, however linux uses a totaly diffrent way of handleing permissions that means writting viruses for linux isnt worth the time for what you can actualy acomplish... downloading a file with a win32 virus will not install a virus on your system.

if you wanna have something, may i sujest clamav and clamtk. both can be recived from the repos via

sudo apt-get install clamav
sudo apt-get install clamtk

clamav actualy caught 100% of the viruses norton did in an independant blind study. and its free.

No, its not nessisary, again clamav + clamtk is fine. Spybot-Search & Destroy will work under wine (and you can set the device drive d to / (ROOT), however, theres really no reason.

There are alot of bittorrent apps availible for linux, including vuze.

lmule is a linux port of emule, should exspect a verry similar interface and featureset

Shockwave i belive is still windows, but from what i hear runs well under wine (on firefox)

Ubuntu as well as linux distributions in general use the xvid codec. xvid is divex, spelled backwards... its a divex codec with other features, and should be capable of playing divex movies.

Openoffice.org allows you to save files in the office 95 format, as well as many other popular formats that office 2007 reads. it also allows you to exsport to pdf, and edit pdf's (editing is with exstention)

In addition with office 2010's launch next year, office will be avalible online as an online application, making it possible to edit and read documents on phones, video game systems, and linux.

Best Regards
Powell Lucas

of cource, we all started somewhere... my sujestions, try setting up a VM useing qemu, or using wubi for a while, then you can mess around, and not break anything valuble. live cd's are also great picks... all these options let you test ubuntu on your hardware, and with your needs, without ever deleting or doing harm to your windows install.

for more info on any of these, message me, or reply here. i douno if i was too technical, i tryed to be less, well still being informative

Powell41
September 16th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Many thanks for your response. It is much appreciated. I'll check a couple more sources, but I think I'll give it a try.

Best Regards
Powell Lucas

Wim Sturkenboom
September 16th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Good morning ;)

An alternative to the live cd mentioned earlier might be ubuntu netbook remix installed on a memory stick (if your system supports booting from USB devices). It boots quicker and works faster that the live-cd.

Note that the looks are different from the standard Ubuntu but the functionality seems to be the same.

3rdalbum
September 16th, 2009, 07:15 AM
The program on Windows that is called DivX will not run. But Ubuntu can play DivX files with the correct codec, that is easy installed (so easily installed, Ubuntu offers to download it when you first try to play a DivX file).

Once the codec is installed, you can also convert files to DivX.

Don't bother trying to run your anti-virus and anti-spyware software on Linux. Don't bother running any anti-virus software on Linux; the extremely-limited amount of malware on Linux cannot be contracted by your computer unless you start installing programs that listen to incoming internet connections and you don't have a firewall.

Welcome to Ubuntu, anyway. Just a tip: Wine is some software that can run some Windows programs, but it's best to think of Wine as being a last-resort; it works with only a very limited number of Windows programs. There is lots of native Linux software, so use that wherever possible.