PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Having problem to determine which multimedia player is best to use in LInux?

sumantri_84
September 16th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I am facing a problem to determine which of these player is best to use in Linux. I dont want to use VLC player, because it is too common for me.

What you think about Songbird, Cinerella , Avidemux, Totem, Xine. GC Star, Audacity?
Or else can someone suggest other multimedia player that have similar function as VLC?

thecaptain72
September 16th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Wow did not know there were so many for Linux.

JOSE

Rhubarb
September 16th, 2009, 03:51 AM
...What you think about Songbird, Cinerella , Avidemux, Totem, Xine. GC Star, Audacity?
Or else can someone suggest other multimedia player that have similar function as VLC?

I recommend you try out smplayer for videos, it's mplayer with a nicer front-end.

Cinerella, Avidemux, and Auacity are Sound / Video editors, they're not really suited for playback.

You could also try out quod libet, it's a great little app for playing back audio, and can play back video as well.

andrew.46
September 16th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I would also recommend SMPlayer + MPlayer but it is well worth the effort to get hold of a modern version of MPlayer whether by compiling your own or using a package from a PPA. Gratuitous screenshot of SMPlayer attached :).

Andrew

wojox
September 16th, 2009, 04:16 AM
+1 gnome-mplayer 0.9.4

A media player for GNOME that uses MPlayer