PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to remove ubuntu?

~The~Killer~
September 16th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Hello.

My ubuntu is very slow and i can't use it anymore. How can i remove it completely ?

Thanks

umanzor
September 16th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Are you going back to Windows or do you want to reinstall Ubuntu?

~The~Killer~
September 16th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Are you going back to Windows or do you want to reinstall Ubuntu?
I need to install Fedora 11

abaden
September 16th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Do you have several operating systems on the same computer? If so you need to be careful not to delete your boot sector, else you will have to do a lot of leg work to recreate it. Otherwise you should be able to reformat right over Ubuntu with Fedora... but I'd recommend sticking with Ubuntu. ;)

Alex

linuxuser21
September 16th, 2009, 03:19 AM
You can overwrite it on the partition when you are installing Fedora.

k33bz
Hello.

My ubuntu is very slow and i can't use it anymore. How can i remove it completely ?

Thanks

You say it is very slow. May I ask what the specs are of your computer. Just to be sure we dont give you advice on how to delete ubuntu and install fedora over it for no reason. Meaning you might have the same problem.

~The~Killer~
Do you have several operating systems on the same computer? If so you need to be careful not to delete your boot sector, else you will have to do a lot of leg work to recreate it. Otherwise you should be able to reformat right over Ubuntu with Fedora... but I'd recommend sticking with Ubuntu. ;)

Alex
Ah ok so with Fedora I can remove ubuntu and install fedora in its place ?

I like ububtu but its very slow i opened several topics but the guys had a fight without any help :( (fighting who's right and who's not)

~The~Killer~
September 16th, 2009, 03:20 AM
You say it is very slow. May I ask what the specs are of your computer. Just to be sure we dont give you advice on how to delete ubuntu and install fedora over it for no reason. Meaning you might have the same problem.
Core 2 duo 1.6GHZ
2GB of Ram
Laptop Toshiba

~The~Killer~
September 16th, 2009, 03:24 AM
a guy posted this
"That might be the issue, if you use Jaunty the latest version of Ubuntu there is SERIOUS slowdown on intel graphics cards due to some bad mistakes made by both Intel and the Ubuntu development team.
I too faced slowdown on Jaunty on my machine that also uses a intel graphics card."

lisati
September 16th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Core 2 duo 1.6GHZ
2GB of Ram
Laptop Toshiba

That sounds similar to my Toshiba laptop. I haven't noticed it being slow or anything like that. (Mind you, I haven't asked the Ubuntu part of it to do much that's cpu intensive) Perhaps there are some tweaks that might be helpful, e.g. emptying the trash, cleaning out temporary files etc.

k33bz
September 16th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Core 2 duo 1.6GHZ
2GB of Ram
Laptop Toshiba

Ya you should be able to use fedora with out a problem then. Surprised you have had problems with Ubuntu. Although you did mention Intel graphics Card. You may want to try this tutorial out, it helped mine out tremendously.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

~The~Killer~
September 16th, 2009, 03:27 AM
That sounds similar to my Toshiba laptop. I haven't noticed it being slow or anything like that. (Mind you, I haven't asked the Ubuntu part of it to do much that's cpu intensive) Perhaps there are some tweaks that might be helpful, e.g. emptying the trash, cleaning out temporary files etc.
it's new i didn't install anything. just when i finished installing it its very slow like when computers are made. ububtu is learning me to be patient :P

~The~Killer~
September 16th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Ya you should be able to use fedora with out a problem then. Surprised you have had problems with Ubuntu. Although you did mention Intel graphics Card. You may want to try this tutorial out, it helped mine out tremendously.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582
so i can remove ubuntu from fedora's CD ? :confused:

k33bz
September 16th, 2009, 03:30 AM
so i can remove ubuntu from fedora's CD ? :confused:

Yes you can. When it gets to the part of partitioning (if you dont have anything else on the HDD, then just select the whole partition. Fedora will re-write over Ubuntu.

~The~Killer~
September 16th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Yes you can. When it gets to the part of partitioning (if you dont have anything else on the HDD, then just select the whole partition. Fedora will re-write over Ubuntu.
I have windows and ububtu. I just select ububtu to re-write over ?

k33bz
September 16th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I have windows and ububtu. I just select ububtu to re-write over ?

Yes just select the Ubuntu partition then. Make sure you write over on the right partition since you also have windows on it.

ndefontenay
September 16th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Hello.

Yes pick the ubuntu partition and use it to install Fedora.

Good luck

Nico

~The~Killer~
September 16th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Yes just select the Ubuntu partition then. Make sure you write over on the right partition since you also have windows on it.
ah ok thanks. After installing the updates now i feel ubuntu is 70% faster than before.

how can i know what version am i using ?

like you? Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I know that i have ububtu 9.04 but what is Jaunty..?:)

scrooge_74
September 16th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Jaunty = Ubuntu 9.04

XKCD64
September 16th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Jaunty Jackalope is the code name for Ubuntu 9.04

k33bz
September 16th, 2009, 03:47 AM
ah ok thanks. After installing the updates now i feel ubuntu is 70% faster than before.

how can i know what version am i using ?

like you? Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I know that i have ububtu 9.04 but what is Jaunty..?:)

cool, glad I could help with that. As far as what is Jaunty, and anything else that has to do with ubuntu. Each Ubuntu release has a version number as well as a Code name, nick name or whatever it may be. for example:

* Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS (Dapper Drake)
* Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)
* Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)
* Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)
* Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS (Hardy Heron)
* Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)
* Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)