PDA

View Full Version : [other] Dell Mini 9

XKCD64
September 16th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I will soon be buying a Dell Mini 9.

Quick question. For 2GB RAM, and a 4-8GB SSD, should I use Ubuntu or UNR?

I'm thinking UNR because of the screen size.

zvacet
September 16th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Maybe UNR is better option.See here (http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr) for minimum hardware requirements.

Mike_IronFist
September 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I will soon be buying a Dell Mini 9.

Quick question. For 2GB RAM, and a 4-8GB SSD, should I use Ubuntu or UNR?

I'm thinking UNR because of the screen size.

Go with UNR. I tried running regular Ubuntu on a Netbook. It was a nightmare of way-too-big windows and compatibility issues (UNR has better drivers for Netbook hardware because Ubuntu has a more general focus)

You can't go wrong with UNR. The interface is perfect for netbooks and it works like a charm.

Paqman
September 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Either/or. UNR is just normal Ubuntu with some extra packages to make using a small screen easier. You can turn regular Ubuntu into UNR, and vice/versa. So you can try them both out on the same machine.

Mike_IronFist
September 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Either/or. UNR is just normal Ubuntu with some extra packages to make using a small screen easier. You can turn regular Ubuntu into UNR, and vice/versa. So you can try them both out on the same machine.

Not really true. While you can convert one to the other, the extra packages aren't just to "make using a small screen easier". There's a bit more going on under the hood with UNR. It has less of an install footprint than normal Ubuntu, and several other important differences.

Paqman
September 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
It has less of an install footprint than normal Ubuntu

I thought it was just the regular desktop with the ubuntu-netbook-remix metapackage? Is ubuntu-desktop not included on the UNR image?

Mike_IronFist
September 16th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I thought it was just the regular desktop with the ubuntu-netbook-remix metapackage? Is ubuntu-desktop not included on the UNR image?

Not from what I remember, but I could be wrong. However, there were distinct differences in setting up hardware when it came to regular Ubuntu versus Netbook Remix. For example, a Wireless card didn't work under Ubuntu on an Asus machine, but it worked flawlessly under UNR.

Paqman
September 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
For example, a Wireless card didn't work under Ubuntu on an Asus machine, but it worked flawlessly under UNR.

True, there are some Eee-specific packages. Probably not an issue on a Mini-9 though.