PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Different jaunty upgrade path on 2 computers

eddski
September 16th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I have a desktop and a laptop, both with similar intrepid installs. My desktop went to jaunty through regular updates, apparently, and my laptop did not. I never hit the "Upgrade to jaunty" button, nor did any popup reference jaunty. However, I decided to upgrade my laptop and it seemed like forever to do. I don't remember anything even close to that with desktop. I just wanted to know what I did, or did not do, to cause the different upgrade paths.

Geoff918
September 16th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Regular normal upgrades won't upgrade your distro version. Do you have different repositories selected? Maybe experimental or testing (something of the sort) set up on the one machine?

To my knowledge, you would always have to select the new version to upgrade. On all my friends systems they had to specifically select the upgrade, as had I when it was time. So, something doesn't quite add-up here. Besides that, the only two options that may be in play are maybe a cron-job that is scheduled for the one to always retrieve the most recent updates each night? You can install security updates silently and automatically, but that's not a full version upgrade.

eddski
September 16th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Thats what bothers me that I was (un)conscious not to check the upgrade box until some time had passed so potential bugs could be worked out. I don'y remember touching, nor would I want to touch, the repositories because of me extreme lack of knowledge about them.