PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installing LXDE desktop environment

Dangger
September 16th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Hi all, so I was inspired by the Psychocats tutorials (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index) and even asked the author if there were any plans on making a tutorial on how to install the LXDE desktop environment and how to remove it and go back to a pure gnome, kde or xfce environment. The short answer was no.

So I thought that I would attempt to do it.

BEWARE: :evil:

I have been on ubuntu since I created this account, therefore I am extremely unexperienced.

I have tried this method extensively only in a virtual machine.

This should only be the starting point to building a better method if people are willing to try it and give feedback.

Getting LXDE in Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04)

To get the LXDE you must enter the following command on a terminal

sudo apt-get install lxdeIt will prompt you for confirmation.

Once finished you can access LXDE by login out and choosing lxde session from the "session type" menu.

By this point you should be in the lxde environment.

Removing LXDE environment:

Before you remove the lxde desktop you should login in another session (gnome, kde or xfce) and type the corresponding commands in the terminal. DO NOT remove lxde inside lxde because you will be unable to click on the logout icon and you will have to reboot from terminal to change session ("sudo reboot" without quotes if it's too late).

sudo apt-get remove arj leafpad libbeecrypt6 libjpeg-progs libneon27 libobparser21 libobrender21 librpm4.4 lxappearance lxde lxde-common lxde-core lxde-settings-daemon lxpanel lxrandr lxsession-lite lxterminal obconf openbox openbox-themes p7zip-full pcmanfm rpm xarchiver xscreensaver
Final Step

To make sure you did not remove a common file, run the following commands in the terminal after removing LXDE (thanks to theZoid (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=460170)):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -fTry it as is and give some feedback please :D

kellemes
September 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I don't see why you should (re)install the *ubuntu-desktop packages.. these are huge!
Simply remove LXDE and dependencies and you're done.

theZoid
September 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I don't see why you should (re)install the *ubuntu-desktop packages.. these are huge!

Yeah....OP think that one through again....

Dangger
September 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM

Honestly, it's only out of precaution, and you reinstall them again only after removing the lxde package. you could run the command without reinstalling your previous desktop or just hit n when asked.

theZoid
September 16th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Honestly, it's only out of precaution, and you reinstall them again only after removing the lxde package. you could run the command without reinstalling your previous desktop or just hit n when asked.

Nothing wrong with what you posted, just pointing out it was really necessary to reinstall the desktop if you know removing LXDE didnt remove a common file or something, but a:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f

would take care of that though.

Dangger
September 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Nothing wrong with what you posted, just pointing out it was really necessary to reinstall the desktop if you know removing LXDE didnt remove a common file or something, but a:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -fwould take care of that though.

Great, thank you.