PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI proprietary FGLRX graphic driver conflict with Jaunty

ejrk
September 16th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I have an ATI graphics card and after installing the proprietary graphics driver when running Jaunty the screen goes blank. This piece of software works fine with Intrepid Ibex.

Is anyone else having this problem who has a similar piece of graphics hardware while using Jaunty?

Jerry41
September 16th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Unfortunately it seems ATI dropped support for a bunch of older products (like my Radeon Xpress 200) about the time Jaunty was released. I gather they haven't been impressed by my protests, so I will be looking for a more Linux friendly video card. The fact that it is a cheap rig built into the mother board should be no excuse for dropping support. My PC is almost 5 years old, but it was doing what I wanted & doing it well until I "upgraded" to Jaunty.

Dan_Krause
September 16th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I'm also having issues with 9.04 and ATI drivers. Not only did the drivers automatically available through the Hardware drivers application under the system menu cause a black screen, but after recovering from that error I tried the drivers available from ATI [9.9. x86_64] and this had a similar effect.

The automaticly available drivers dropped me into a command line promt after boot while those from ATI give me a black screen which I can log in with, but not be able to see with... not great for a GUI system. If we had braile then we'd be in business :cool:

donchichi
September 16th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I'm Running ATI Radeon 4350. Didn't have much problems I'm now running the 9.9 Driver since around 2 days ago. Used the wiki site as a guide to removing and installing the ATI drivers.

They said its better to do a complete removal. I think I've had this problem before when I didn't do a complete removal before upgrading the driver.

Only one slight issue is that the screen keeps going back to 13xx x 7xx resolution

kalyp
September 16th, 2009, 09:52 PM
There's a lot about this issue here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1133931&highlight=fglrx+jaunty+ati+upgrade)