PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help getting driver for dial-up modem

coldReactive
September 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM
The modem is 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem, which is not supported by Ubuntu by default. Is there ANY DEB package for this? The computer this is on has no Internet otherwise, and currently has Windows installed, but would love to migrate it to ubuntu.

The computer itself is a eMachines T5026. The ethernet is obviously supported.

Whiffle
September 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM
You're gonna need more information. ITU v.92 is the standard, 56K is the speed, and its a Fax/Modem. It doesn't really tell us anything about the hardware. Can you get some lspci and lshw output for it using a live cd?

coldReactive
September 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
You're gonna need more information. ITU v.92 is the standard, 56K is the speed, and its a Fax/Modem. It doesn't really tell us anything about the hardware. Can you get some lspci and lshw output for it using a live cd?

It'll have to be some other time, the computer is being used by someone else now, so I'll have to wait until they're gone, which won't be for several days. I'll reply back then.

corncob
September 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM
When I had dial up I used to connect with gnome-ppp. You can download and install it in Synaptic. I used a US Robotics hardware modem at the time. It doesn't recognize win modems

Whiffle
September 15th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah a hardware modem is really the way to go with linux. If you've got a Goodwill Computerworks near you they probably have one. I bought one for a project off ebay for $10, and its been working flawlessly for over a year, and was MUCH easier to setup than any winmodem.

coldReactive
September 15th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Yeah a hardware modem is really the way to go with linux. If you've got a Goodwill Computerworks near you they probably have one. I bought one for a project off ebay for $10, and its been working flawlessly for over a year, and was MUCH easier to setup than any winmodem.

The modem is internal actually, and we have no Goodwill Computerworks, just goodwills. But yeah, when I get the time, I'll get the output of that.

corncob
September 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM
An internal modem can still be a hardware modem. Give gnome-ppp a try when you get your computer back. Maybe you'll luck out.

coldReactive
September 17th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Here's the computer's lshw and lspci

Whiffle
September 17th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Search for HSF and conexant and you'll find all the information you want on that thing. Its a winmodem.

coldReactive
September 17th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Search for HSF and conexant and you'll find all the information you want on that thing. Its a winmodem.

It's unfortunate that when I do the update manager, my kernel will be upgraded, so what two drivers should I download: http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php

cariboo
September 17th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Have a look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto), it helped me setup an intel modem for a fax server.

rob86
September 17th, 2009, 03:16 AM
It took me days to get my dial up modem working on Ubuntu. I had to install drivers, and do some weird stuff I don't remember, like editing a conf and adding lines that didn't make sense to me. I did get it working though, miraculously.

If you get frustrated and desperate, check out PuppyLinux. I'm not saying switch to it from Ubuntu (they're not in the same league..puppy linux is a light weight OS), but the dialup support on that is excellent, and I wonder if you could somehow get it's dialer from it. I don't know how it works. What took me days in Ubuntu, searching for drivers, editing confs, downloading wvdial, gnome ppp, and other stuff, took me an entire 10 secods on Puppy Linux. I booted up the live cd, It said something along the liens of, "Hey, you have a dialup modem, want to set it up?" and I said sure. and It was like, this is your initialization code, want to connect? and It connected. I didn't even need to download drivers. Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu's great, but I wish it had PuppyLinux's dialup support.. :)