PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pre-Vista set-up

Clockwork Ghost
September 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hello, hello. I've just recently purchased a whole new set of computer parts compatible with Vista, intending to put Ubuntu on it. A few questions I have though, is that even if I don't have the Vista OS, (Got use to OSs coming with pre-assembled computers...) will I still be able to start my computer and get Linux installed? I have a DVDrom with it. Even if I can, though, will the hardware still function, despite a different OS being used? Or will I have to buy a Vista OS before I do anything else?

Zimmer
September 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
No need to buy Vista. Make sure the BIOs will look for the DVD/CD Rom drive to boot from and pop in the Ubuntu CD as quick as you can! Have a look at various sites re installation and formatting and partitioning of Hard Drives before you set off....
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

https://help.ubuntu.com/community

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/index.html

NoaHall
September 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
No, you won't need to buy another OS to run this one... It's not like a piece of software that you install in Windows, it's a entirely different Operating System. Put the disk in, boot up, install, and enjoy your life without limits.

Clockwork Ghost
September 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Sweet. Just for clarification, does it really matter that my hardware's built to be operated on Vista? I had intended to dual-boot, should that be the case, but would I be able to run it with just Ubuntu?

I know Vista has a lot of applications similar to those of Windows, but is there a free-ware equivalent to C++?

NoaHall
September 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
If it's going to be dual boot, you should install Windows first, as it will ruin grub. Although you can get around that.

It doesn't matter that it's made to work with vista, Ubuntu is made to work with almost all of it.

C++ is a programming language.

Marlonsm
September 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
"Built for Vista" means that Vista is supposed to work well in it, not that it's the only OS it can run, so it should be fine for Ubuntu.

Just make sure to get your Ubuntu CD with another computer, because that one won't be able to download and burn a CD without an OS in it.

Clockwork Ghost
September 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'd rather it not be a dual-boot if I can help it. I only planned on that if it was the only way, but this seems to not be the case. Thanks for clearing it up. I know C++ is a programming language, but what I was wondering was if there was a free-ware equivalent to it.

Can I assume, as well, that games designed for Windows could also work on Linux without dual-booting?

lisati
September 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
+1 to the previous comments.

The sticker on my laptop mentions "Windows Vista Basic". It has never had Windows Vista Basic on it in the time I've had it. (I currently dual-boot Vista Home Premium and Ubuntu)

NoaHall
September 15th, 2009, 09:22 PM
C++ is aviaible in Linux. GTK is what gnome apps is built upon. Try download Gambas2.

Games that run in Windows can't run directly on Linux. They are two different operating systems.

However, you can run some Windows games via a Layer called Wine, and a Windows Virutal Machine hosted via VirtualBox.