PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Oh blessed Audio on Linux : How does youtube work?

zong1
September 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Good day,

Another Ubuntu install, this time 9.04, and of course there is no sound. So, I am off to try and find a solution. Has anyone else got one?

Details:

I have no sound using either: Pulse Audio, OSS or ALSA. I don't want to use Pulse Audio. I would prefer one of the others.

Unlike others, my audio set-up is strange:

Its a notebook.
It has an onboard audio card : 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02

*and* it has a USB audio on the mouse used for Skype. Well, not used for the moment until this is solved.

I would like to have all audio, including youtube & flash, routed to the onboard sound card.
I would like to have all video conferencing for Skype routed to the USB audio devices.

Sounds simple and it would be in another operating system, but since Linux was invented, sound configuration has been poor: Currently, we have OSS ALSA Pulse, and jackd to string it together. OK, I've finished the rant paragraph :)

Does anyone know of guides that work for routing audio correctly on notebooks with the above configuration?

I had thought that my configuration would be common (using skype to USB audio & having the rest through the build-in card) but as I have realised over these years, its not :(

Cheers all,
z1