PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I am a new Ubuntu junkie! (but I have a small problem)

roasterx
September 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Friends, Geeks, Lovers!

After many years of a secret crush on Linux, I have finally installed Ubuntu and It is so exciting.

But I have a problem.

I'm a science teacher on a secret mission of using Ubuntu on all of my lab machines. After installing Ubuntu, I am unable to connect to our network. This is where I need your help.

Treat me like a Linux newborn, let's start from the beginning and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you've helped to bring Linux into a public setting.

Tell me what I need to do and I will do it.

Yours in nerdery.

mike555
September 15th, 2009, 05:27 PM
a little more info would help, when you say "lab machines" does that mean they are independent desktops running sharing or what?

drinkpepsi
September 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Which version of Ubuntu are you using? When you say join the network, is this a new network between the lab machines, or you are trying to join an existing windows network with these machines?

roasterx
September 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
a little more info would help, when you say "lab machines" does that mean they are independent desktops running sharing or what?

Yes they are independent desktops that will be sharing (and old, which is how I am able to procure them).

Thanks so much for asking

roasterx
September 15th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Which version of Ubuntu are you using? When you say join the network, is this a new network between the lab machines, or you are trying to join an existing windows network with these machines?

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 and I am trying to join the existing school network.

Thanks so much for helping. If you guys keep asking, I will learn the answers and someday this puppy will work.

Barrucadu
September 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Does the network use DHCP, or does each computer have a static IP?

halitech
September 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Also, does Windows require logging into a Domain Controller in order to access the network? If it does, Ubuntu will require this as well.

roasterx
September 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Does the network use DHCP, or does each computer have a static IP?

The school network uses DHCP.

Thank you for asking.

bacardiandwatermelon
September 15th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Also, does Windows require logging into a Domain Controller in order to access the network? If it does, Ubuntu will require this as well.

I was going to say this... You may need to install likewise-open to authenticate with the ad

stderr
September 15th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Yes, check the above first.

Should that not be the case, I wonder what steps you've taken to try and make a connection, if any?

I'll just give a brief, very basic, introduction:

By default, Ubuntu uses NetworkManager to handle wired and wireless connections. You can configure the connections with the NetworkManager utility under System->Administration->Network. Assuming you're connecting the PCs with ethernet cables, click Unlock, then select Wired connection, and click Properties. I would expect 'Enable roaming mode' to be selected: this essentially means use DHCP, which is what you want.

If you didn't see a Wired connection selection in the window, then open a terminal (Application->Accessories->Terminal) and run this command:

ifconfig

That lists your network devices; if we're talking about a wired connection, I'd expect to see an entry for "eth0" (= the 0th ethernet connection) in the list, and some information beside it. You will also see an entry called "lo" (= loopback). Don't worry about that.

(
If you happen to be trying to make wireless connections, additionally running the following command (which lists all wireless devices) will provide us with even more useful information:

iwconfig
)

Another place to look is in the file "/etc/network/interfaces". This is owned by the "root" user, so if you want to make changes to the file, you have to have root permissions. However, at the moment, we just want to read it, so we don't need root permissions. It contains instructions for loading network devices on startup; but there's a little getcha, for any network devices listed in here will be handled by Linux's basic networking scripts, and not by NetworkManager. Any other devices not listed in here will be handled by NetworkManager.

You can read the file by executing

gedit /etc/network/interfaces

You could expect to see something like this (which is fine):

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

I'm not really proposing any solutions yet, just trying to familiarise you a little more with how some basic network configuration can be carried out. I would ask you to post the output of ifconfig (and iwconfig if applicable) and your /etc/network/interfaces, but since you haven't got a network connection on those computers, it may be easier to just give us the gist - what were the settings in the NetworkManager configuration utility, what network devices showed up on ifconfig/iwconfig, and what network devices showed up in /etc/network/interfaces?

Oh, and if you could clarify as to what type of connection you're trying to forge - wired or wireless :) In the eventuality that you're creating wireless connections, is there any wireless security set up on the network?

roasterx
September 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
The school network uses DHCP.

Thank you for asking.

OK, I am an idiot.. I know. The school network does not use DHCP. It uses static IP, and I have been given an address.

Isn't a Domain Controller a part of NT? We don't use NT, but we do use Novell.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

gordintoronto
September 15th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Tell me what I need to do and I will do it.

Were the same computers previously connected to the network? How did they connect? Or how do other computers connect?

Oh, and you will get better/faster help next time if your message subject attracts people who might have the answer, such as "Need to connect to Windows NT Server" or whatever.

roasterx
September 15th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Were the same computers previously connected to the network? How did they connect? Or how do other computers connect?

Oh, and you will get better/faster help next time if your message subject attracts people who might have the answer, such as "Need to connect to Windows NT Server" or whatever.

The same computer was connected to my network, but that was when it had XP as its OS.

Thanks for the tip, I'll remember that next time.

roasterx
September 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
OK, we are making some genuine progress.

I have entered the DNS, gateway, subnet, etc. I can tell that I am connected to the network, because I can see the network.

I cannot, however, access the internet via Firefox now.

roasterx
September 16th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Anyone?

madnessjack
September 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
You may need to get a proxy address from your IT department, they should be able to help with gateway stuff. Hope this helps.

roasterx
September 16th, 2009, 02:45 PM
You may need to get a proxy address from your IT department, they should be able to help with gateway stuff. Hope this helps.

Where do I enter the proxy address into Ubuntu?

Thanks for replying

del_diablo
September 16th, 2009, 04:50 PM
For firefox just to browse the web:
Edit ---> Preferences ---> Advanced ---> Network, then there is a button marked Settings. A Window will now pop up, set it the the 2nd one form the top(it reads: "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network".
Se if your school got any guide for connecting with an outsider computer, it usually says what the proxy is. I think there is a way to set it for the entire system, i would however not know. I do set each application to use proxy myself, but that is another matter.

roasterx
September 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM
For firefox just to browse the web:
Edit ---> Preferences ---> Advanced ---> Network, then there is a button marked Settings. A Window will now pop up, set it the the 2nd one form the top(it reads: "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network".
Se if your school got any guide for connecting with an outsider computer, it usually says what the proxy is. I think there is a way to set it for the entire system, i would however not know. I do set each application to use proxy myself, but that is another matter.

That did it!!!

Thank you all for your help!

Long live open source.

roasterx
September 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I am writing this post from the very machine that I was having problems with.

Thank you all again.

del_diablo
September 17th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Just nice to help :P

wobin77
September 17th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Just nice to help :P

It's sometimes the most simple solution which gives an answer to the most difficult questions! ;-)