PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Backup

soldier4jesus
September 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good backup software for Ubuntu? I'm wanting to back it up and save it on a CD. Thanks so much!!

God Bless!!
Wesley

indytim
September 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
There must be at least 1000 postings on this subject...

Solution :== Search

IndyTim

mike555
September 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM
remastersys will make a bootable/installable dvd of your system including your setups if you tell it to.........

soldier4jesus
September 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Indytim,
I did search, but I can't seem to find a way to get the forum to search just for that. It pulls up a whole bunch of other stuff that doesn't even pertain to that particular subject. It doesn't help when the solution that you give someone is to.....search after they have already done that. I even looked at all open source applications last night in the repository and found some, but one of them that I did pull up said that it had not been kept up-to-date since 2006, but it was showing as a popular download for backups. What I was basically looking for is some names of some current programs that are still kept up-to-date that I can use.

Mike555,
Thanks so much for your response!!

God Bless!!
Wesley

Zill
September 15th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Menu: System, Administration, Simple Backup Config

There are plenty of alternatives if you use a search engine such as Google!

lukjad007
September 15th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good backup software for Ubuntu? I'm wanting to back it up and save it on a CD. Thanks so much!!

God Bless!!
Wesley

For backing up, I usually do it manually. First, I back up my /home folder onto an external HD, then I go to Synaptic and select Save Markings As. I make sure to check the "Save full state, not only changes", and then when I reinstall I get all my programs and the config files. This may not be enough for a business use, but for my home use, it's enough. :)

majiciannz
September 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Take a look at Remastersys........

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/ubuntu.html

The above link should give you all the info you need.

Garrovick
September 15th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Indytim,
I did search...

Don't feel bad, If I search these forums and can't find what I'm looking for, I go else where to find the answer.

jerrrys
September 15th, 2009, 10:03 PM
i do not backup to cd, but this may help out your searching

http://www.googlubuntu.com/

soldier4jesus
September 15th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks so much everyone for your responses!! Have a great day!!!

God Bless!!
Wes