PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 9.04 in second hard disk

joe2005
September 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I want to install Ubuntu 9.04 on my second hard drive for which Partition L reserved.Windows RC is on the first partition K.Windows XP is on the first hard drive C.I want to know how to make the installation is done on L.

katakaio
September 15th, 2009, 01:55 PM
When you perform the Ubuntu installation, you will be asked which hard drive you want to install Ubuntu on. When given a list of partitioning methods, select manual and you'll be able to see each hard drive and the partitions that are set up on each. Select the partition that you want to install Ubuntu on, and you're ready to go!

mikeyphi
September 15th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Here's a guide:
http://linux.host22.com/1_5_Getting-started.html

Look at this section titled "Installing Type 2 alternate install (installing to partition or Virtual)"

LewRockwell
September 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
you might end up with bootloader issues and there are guides and tutorials on bootloaders strewn across the interwebs already so we won't add another

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

joe2005
September 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I started installing Ubuntu and came to partitioning spaces and took the third option of manual and came up with the message"No root file system is defined please correct this from partitioning menu" hope to get guidance thanks

Cypher1101
September 16th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure how far into the installer you were when you got that message. Had the partioner just loaded, or were you at the part where you are able to name and define partitions?

Geoff918
September 16th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Quick note: While you're installing this, you may want to pull the cable out of your first hard disk drive so that you don't wind up modifying the boot sector on that drive.

I hope you have reviewed some information on this before doing what you're doing because you could create a messy headache for yourself pretty quickly. Which is fine if you like to fix things. I do, so I don't worry about 'em.

joe2005
September 16th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the help.I have finally able to install Ubuntu.There was a small hiccup in that when configuring apt at 83% the system hanged.After vigorous tapping enter key completed install.Will come back with more questions later.thanks

katakaio
September 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM
After vigorous tapping enter key completed install.

I prefer using a hammer, but that works too :P