PDA

View Full Version : Are you self employed and what do you do.

Omnios
September 15th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Hi guys.

Are you self employed and what do you do. Times are tough and thinking there might be some interesting ventures out there. I am on a disability and just started a small start off business.

I currently have a active business cleaning commercial windows and light lot cleaning. So far just completed my first job today and have two other small jobs lined up. This is a part time business to make a bit of extra money and hopefully to fund other ventures. So far invested in some squeegee muckers, a window cleaner on a 7 foot pole and a commercial 16" sweegee thats a must for window cleaning a good sqeegee makes all the difference. And a high end shopping cart to haul a big pail and all my gear. Investments so far about $130 Canadian, the cart alone was $50 but worth it as its my work table when I am working. Could have cut it down by $20 or so but did not research enough before buying some stuff. Still need to buy a 14" mucher that will make a difference.

Eventually I would like to get enouph to get into making screen printed t-shirts and caps and want to get my own low end 6 color press to open a art studio and make my own *****. The 6 color press costs $900 on its own so that will be a while.

So far window cleaning is fairly easy work and rewarding. I am busing it to an industrial area for my first contract with a fair amount of other units in the area. A good telescoping pole system 7 to 10 foot also allows you to do jobs others can not unless equipt to do so. I get a monthly bonus from the disability for working so this is my part time job. Boy times are tough.

Anyone have an interesting part time business.

sideaway
September 15th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I'm a full time 19 year old student and have a part time business, I run a small Computer technician business in my holidays and spare time. I have a contract with one largish company. Most are small time and residential operations.

Generally isn't very lucrative. But it's good money for a student.

juancarlospaco
September 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Congratulations...
:)

kirsis
September 15th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I'm a self employed web developer/translator. It's not very lucrative atm but it pays the bills.

The worst part is combining it with full time studies.

wilee-nilee
September 15th, 2009, 07:44 AM
If your not familiar with Sorbo products they make the best window cleaning tools, a 6 foot squeegee is one monster, but I only use the 3 footer and smaller down to a 5 inch for those small windows.
http://www.sorboproducts.com/

XubuRoxMySox
September 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I teach clogdancing classes. It pays very little and wouldn't support me, much less a family. But it sure is fun!

-Robin

frrobert
September 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I actually have 3 vocations.

1. I am a parish priest at a small Orthodox Church
2. My wife and I do special needs foster care.
3. I run a small web hosting and design company.

WalmartSniperLX
September 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I am an internet reseller in consumer electronics but I have put all sales at a halt due to large supplies with my competitors and not enough demand with the buyers :(

RabbitWho
September 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I eke out a meagre living selling meagres.

beercz
September 15th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I am self employed and do this (http://lidd.net).

steveneddy
September 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Over the Road truck driver

Omnios
September 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM
Well the window washing business is doing well so far, got a few contracts and am going to be getting an extra $150 a month so far. Looking good. The hours so far are good about 6 and 1/2 hours a month so far with lots of room to grow.