PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to burn your DVDs?

gymophett
September 14th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I use convertxtodvd via wine and then transport it to .iso using imgburn, then burn it using K3b.
How about y'all?

Greg
September 14th, 2009, 03:30 AM
On the rare occassions that I need to burn something, I've used graveman- I don't burn enough to bother with cdrdao; graveman provides an easy and decently lightweight frontend.

SunnyRabbiera
September 14th, 2009, 04:13 AM
DeVeDe is my app :D

Rainstride
September 14th, 2009, 04:22 AM
devede is my app :d

+1.

gymophett
September 14th, 2009, 04:24 AM
DeVeDe is my app :D

DeVeDe never provided as great of quality for me.
Plus it puts dark grey lines on the top of my widescreen DVDs.

MikeTheC
September 14th, 2009, 04:38 AM
A microwave of course, silly!

How else can you do this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_adXvtM_GcPg/SjftGvFK2CI/AAAAAAAAD2E/u00rQb5rw2U/s400/cd.jpg

lisati
September 14th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I do most of my video stuff and DVD production with Windows. The process goes something like this: edit (usually v10 of Pinnacle Studio (upgraded online to Studio Plus), write to DVD folder, check and process with DVDShrink, and eventually burn to disk with Nero.

On the rare occasion I burn an ISO with Ubuntu, it's usually with Brasero.

EDIT
My toolkit on Windows includes:

Pinnacle Studio 10
DVDShrink
Ulead DVD factory (came preinstalled on my laptop, also have a version on CD)
Windows MovieMaker (rarely use)
Windows DVD Maker (came with Vista, integrates with Moviemaker)
DVD Decrypter
Nero (assorted versions that came with DVD drives)
Sonic MyDVD (came preinstalled with XP on one desktop)

staf0048
September 14th, 2009, 04:41 AM
A Blow Torch!

MikeTheC
September 14th, 2009, 04:42 AM
On the rare occasion I burn an ISO with Ubuntu, it's usually with Brasero.

While it's true I do use Toast to burn Video DVDs out of Video TS folders, I can't remember the last time I used a dedicated CD/DVD app to burn an ISO on any platform (Mac OS X, Linux or Windows).

kevdog
September 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I've got to agree that Windows is my DVD editing and burning of choice.

AnyDVD products
DVD Shrink
AVI synth -- awesome frameserver utilities
VirtualDub/VirtualDubMod
DVD-Decrypter
ImgBurn

That's about what I know!

inobe
September 14th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I use convertxtodvd via wine and then transport it to .iso using imgburn, then burn it using K3b.
How about y'all?

the main problem is those x-v i d s were remastered out of native res.

mysteriousdarren
September 14th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I mean seriously why bother using windowS? run DVDfab with wine and ween off windows if you can. I works awesome and I am not going back.

gymophett
September 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I have Vista via virtualbox now and do my DVDs still with convertxtodvd, and use k9copy in Ubuntu. I personally like k9copy better than DVDShrink, it is faster on my computer and just as good, if not better quality.

ChrT
September 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I don't think I've used an optical storage device in the last couple of years.

Firestem4
September 14th, 2009, 11:56 PM
On Linux I use K3b for just about everything.

On Windows i'll use a combination of ISO Recorder for ISO's (simple, lightweight tool), or imgburn for anything else.

pwnst*r
September 15th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I have Vista via virtualbox now and do my DVDs still with convertxtodvd, and use k9copy in Ubuntu. I personally like k9copy better than DVDShrink, it is faster on my computer and just as good, if not better quality.

i highly doubt it's better quality. also, of course it should be a little faster in a non-virtual state.

tjwoosta
September 15th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Devede

It converts any video format that I throw at it into a ready to burn dvd iso in one easy step and Ive never had any problems with quality. It even handles menus although I usually just choose the skip straight to video option.

handy
September 15th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Answering the question:

NeroLinux, it has never failed me, where all the rest have.

That's not to say that the other options are no good, or will fail for you.

I do a LOT of burning sometimes & that is when all of the others failed for me in the past.

As far as ripping DVD's is concerned I use DVDShrink 3.2, or on occasion SmartRipper which will get past the rare thing that DVDShrink has a problem with. They both run perfectly well under Wine.

Under OS X, I use either MacTheRipper or the bagel thing (can't remember its name).

[Edit:] Fairmount is the VLC based critter that I use on OS X, it allows you to just copy the contents onto your HDD if you desire, OR (more quickly) allows you to access DVDs from different international zones in a very trouble free & convenient manner.

Perfect Storm
September 15th, 2009, 06:32 AM

+1

K9copy and K3b is my favorites.

handy
September 15th, 2009, 06:57 AM
The problem that I had with K9copy, was that it would rip & burn a DVD saying it was ok, but at some later date I would watch the movie & find that there was a portion or portions of the DVD that was/were corrupt.

This situation really turned me off that piece of software.

Admittedly, I was burning 10 or more DVDs in a row before this problem occurred.

I have a fast single core CPU & 2GB of DDR RAM on the machine in question, so I don't think the issue was hardware related.

This problem was last experienced over a year ago, so perhaps K9copy has overcome this problem?

Anyway, NeroLinux has never failed me, so I'll stick with it for some time yet I think, as unexpectedly experiencing the other problem was a real bummer in multiple ways.

qazwsx
September 15th, 2009, 08:46 AM
1. encode with surbeb libavcodec, usually mencoder. Possibly some filtering even with wine and avisynth.
2. mux subtitles with program which comes with dvdauthor package
3. edit xml file for dvdauthor
4. run dvdauthor
5. burn dvd with k3b

Ripping:
to harddrive: everything is done with mencoder/mplayer combination.
re-encode: mencoder
subtitle ocr: avidemux
video + audio + subtitle stream muxing: mkvtoolnix.
result: I love it.

misfitpierce
September 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM
ManDVD is best in creating DVD and auto having it formatted for DVD players... even basic ones. Definatly my favorite.

handy
September 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I also use both Handbrake, which is so simple at the command line.

& also Tovid, if I (rarely) need to turn an .avi (or what have you) into a DVD format, so that a standalone DVD player can handle the data.

gymophett
September 15th, 2009, 11:58 PM
You can use NeroLinux for burning videos?

HappinessNow
September 16th, 2009, 12:01 AM
How about y'all?

Apple OS X - Toast

Microsoft Windows XP - ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/)

Linux/BSD - K3b

Brandel Valico
September 16th, 2009, 12:23 AM
ManDVD or 2ManDVD depending on what computer I happen to be on if your talking Video

For Data and ISO images and the like I generally just use the default burner apps in Ubuntu.

For Audio I use K3B or Gnomebaker normally.

gn2
September 16th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Right-click and use the option in the list.

dragos240
September 16th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I use cdrecord.

starcannon
September 16th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Nero Linux (http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-linux3-trial.php)

For me it just works.

handy
September 16th, 2009, 01:56 AM
You can use NeroLinux for burning videos?

Sure can.

NeroLinux will burn them, it doesn't rip copy protected media though.

Just choose DVD instead of CD on the New Compilation requester & the primary burning options in the list on the left hand side of the requester changes; amongst other things it will now show DVD-Video option.

The option to burn images is in the Recording menu.

disturbed1
September 16th, 2009, 02:12 AM
To burn - cdrecord, to create an iso image - mkisofs.

Since other posts are about editing and authoring -

I use Kino to edit the DV footage. mjpegtools to encode (mpeg2enc, yuvmedianfilter, yuvdenoise, y4munsharp) dvdauthor to author. If I feel like using a GUI to author the DVD I'll use either KMedia-factory or DVDStyler. Depends on if I want a simple menu (KMedia-factory) or more custom menus (DVDStyler). Every now and then, I'll use todisc to create motion menus.

majiciannz
September 16th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I rip to .avi with AcidRip
Convert to DVD with DeVeDe
Burn the .iso with Brasero

Doing a straight disk copy I use Brasero

Using these programs has provided me with 100% success and good quality.