PDA

View Full Version : Will all Linux programmers please stand!!

NinjaNumberNine
September 14th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Hello, everyone. I have been thinking about all the hard work people have donated to making Linux a better platform. Most of them are never known to the general public, just a few of the big guys that started it like Torvalds. (Yes, I am a big fan of Linus too :D ) Anyhow, I think it's time a few of these were recognized. So if you have ever programmed anything for the good of others, whether big or small, please post it here. Also, if you know someone that has done this, please mention them as well too. I attached a poll, please be honest with your answers. If you do want to program for Linux in the future, good for you, we need volunteers. If you have already, thank you so much, it DOES pay off. When I started Linux, I literally fell in love with it AND the people who made it, seeing they get no material gain from doing all this for the average Linux noob that I was once...

=D> Anyway, God bless you and keep up the great work!! =D>

Joeb454
September 14th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Thread moved to Community Cafe

NinjaNumberNine
September 14th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Hmm thats weird I thought I had it in the Community Cafe...

Joeb454
September 14th, 2009, 12:53 AM
It was in Cafe Games ;)

NinjaNumberNine
September 14th, 2009, 12:57 AM
-Oh. By the way, could you please remove these three posts? They kind of litter the post up... :D

hessiess
September 14th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Are you referring to the kernel or the platform as a whole? I do program for Linux, but don't do any programming on the kernel itself.

NinjaNumberNine
September 14th, 2009, 01:16 AM
The whole platform, from writing drivers or programs to making simple shell scripts. :D

Bachstelze
September 14th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I don't consider myself a Linux programmers since the programs I make can, like most programs, can run on multiple OSes.

t0p
September 14th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I wrote a well-known C program that prints the words "Hello world" to the screen. And I ported it to python!

Yeah, I'm due some recognition. That damn Torvalds gets all the glory!

:p

CJ Master
September 14th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Learning Python, pretty fluent in GML (too bad I didn't use the effort in learning GML for learning Python. Much more cross-platform.)

NinjaNumberNine
September 15th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I don't consider myself a Linux programmers since the programs I make can, like most programs, can run on multiple OSes.
If it runs in Linux, it counts. ;)

loell
September 15th, 2009, 01:42 AM
the irony is, real linux programmers won't bother standing up, they are like ninjas that they don't want their presence known. they just sit there in one corner perfecting their Jutsu or whatever. :)

sorry to break it to you but this type of summoning thread technique (jutsu) is weak. heheh.. :biggrin:

Daisuke_Aramaki
September 15th, 2009, 01:51 AM
C is my favorite. C++, Fortran, perl, and python are no problem either.

Reminds me of the time a few years back, I turned in my assigment in Math Modeling to my Professor, who simply tossed it out, saying C is too ancient for him to consider grading my work! ](*,)

NinjaNumberNine
September 15th, 2009, 02:03 AM
the irony is, real linux programmers won't bother standing up, they are like ninjas that they don't want their presence known. they just sit there in one corner perfecting their Jutsu or whatever. :)

sorry to break it to you but this type of summoning thread technique (jutsu) is weak. heheh.. :biggrin:
I know, thats why i posted this, equally ironically BECAUSE they can't get any more "unknown" than they are now... That's why I said you can mention someone else.

Nevon
September 15th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I chose the second alternative, because I don't really consider myself to be proficient enough to call myself a programmer - more like a novice programmer. I've been at it on and off for a few years, but I really only have decent knowledge in PHP and Python, plus some experience with Java. Of course I've tried more languages, but not enough so that I can say I have experience with them.