PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Should i upgrade to xubuntu 9.04 even if there's no graphics card driver?

133794m3r
September 13th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Ok right now i've gotten out my old laptop since my current one's in for repair and in xubuntu 8.1 there's still that annoying acpi issue. I don't get why it's doing it. But is this issue fixed in xubuntu 9.10? Or is it still there? If it is then the script that that one guy posted about forcing the "FN" keys to not work by forcing a brightness willnot work b/c i've tried it under xubuntu and nothing.

kerry_s
September 13th, 2009, 10:13 AM
i have no idea what your trying to say, but if you grab the live cd version you can try it with out installing.

CaptainMark
September 13th, 2009, 11:34 AM
in short. no

Bartender
September 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Interesting article about a new variant called Lubuntu
http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7520/1.html

Take a look at his results on how much RAM is being used by Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu. Xubuntu was actually worse than Ubuntu!!

I have no experience at all with the LXDE interface so can't comment on user-friendliness. But Lubuntu looks like a valid choice for older machines.

133794m3r
September 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Hmm.... i might look into it. My main concern is the laptop i'm currently using which is 6yrs old.

It's got a 1.58Ghz Cpu, 1GB of ram, 4500 RPM HDD 40gb, ati radeon xpress 200m gpu. And it's got some overheating issues... so i was trying to basically make it do as little as possible. With the fans not working it seems to be my best decision and choice as my current one's been looked at by bestbuy(my father's idiocracy) so i'm back at using my old compaq and let's just say i don't trust windows with old hardware. I'd be pure linux except i do like to game when i can and wine's slowly getting there but isn't quite 100% yet.