PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Skype not shutting down

Mmcfadden0001
September 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I am complete newbie who just made the switch to Ubuntu from Vista. I have successfully installed and configured Skype with Ubuntu 9.04. My audio in, audio out, and video are all working properly. However, whenever I sign into Skype I can not shut down the program after that. I have been having to kill it every time. It also does not let me shut down my computer and I have to do a hard reset. Anyone have any solutions or a similiar problem?

crtlbreak
September 11th, 2009, 05:32 PM
have you tried the famous right click and quit option - as opposed to "kill" from shell?

NoaHall
September 11th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I'm afraid that it's the same with me - but I made a launcher to kill it whenever I need to.. See here - http://usefulsoftwaregamesandknowledge.blogspot.com/2009/08/kill-skype-on-64-bit-linux.html

That should help you make a launcher if you want. Otherwise, ignore it :D But i'm afraid, that's how skype is right now.

Excedio
September 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I dont have any problems with it. If you simply click the close button at the top right corner of the program, it will just minimize to the panel. Just have to right click that little green icon and select quit.

At least that's what works for me.

NoaHall
September 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Nope, that doesn't work for me - it freezes, and won't let me quit it without killing. Maybe it's just the 64bit version.

Excedio
September 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Nope, that doesn't work for me - it freezes, and won't let me quit it without killing. Maybe it's just the 64bit version.

What version of Skype are you running? I am 64bit and get no freezing.

NoaHall
September 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM

I've tried a few - same problem every time.

Excedio
September 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I assume you tried the new beta version then?

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

NoaHall
September 11th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Yep, tried it on Fedora and Ubuntu - didn't work.