PDA

View Full Version : Fake Or Real?

TechSonic
February 6th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Buddy of mine sent this to me. He said he dug a disk out of an old box he found while digging around in Government Declassified files.

I say it looks fake.

http://www.techsonic.net/patrick.pdf

bonzodog
February 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM
um...yeah, he's winding you up....

If you believe that you'll believe anything.

Stormy Eyes
February 6th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I prefer real -- oh, wait, we're not talking about women.

BoyOfDestiny
February 6th, 2006, 03:52 PM
He's messing with you... Or is he...

(cue scary music, preferably organ music)

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=20266

'Since 2002, the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) has spent a half-million dollars a year creating a database it claims is "arguably the largest repository of 16-25 year-old youth data in the country, containing roughly 30 million records."'

I know... the file you posted has dates before that... Not to worry.

'It was initiated in 2002 and even then, she said, it was not a new project, simply a way to centralize information. "The individual services (Army, Navy, etc.) have been collecting this data since being authorized by Congress to do so in 1982."'

Ah... good stuff huh =)

Viro
February 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM
If you buy that, can I interest you in this beautiful seaside property in the middle of the Sahara? For you, I'll give a special price.

TechSonic
February 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Most of that information is stuff he would never of known, that and location, I never told him I used to live in Iowa... I say it's fake because of the way it looks, but then again.... Where the fug did he get that info? It's dead on!

egodust
February 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM
It's bollocks :T -- Why?

. The US government would have detailed information with dates and addresses, and your SSN, etc..

. All that data would be in a terse database so it could be indexed and searched, plus cross referenced.

. A picture would most likely come from an existing database (such as passport, drivers license) and be in a standard format with proper lighting and such.

. There is no classified information in the document, TO declassify, unless a whole bunch of it was "removed" ?

. Classifed information needs levels of clearance, and would be totally useless on a database where multiple orgs would want to look at it..

. File came from a thrown away hdd? certain branches of the government DESTROY computers with _blank hdds_ that they haven't even USED not ONCE rather than risk losing data they weren't meant to leak!

. The file was created with OpenOffice.org 2.0, which came out on 2005/10/20 -- Hah.

SO I'm bored at work, we messed up and threw away a bunch of hdd's with declassified but PR problematic data, yeah.. gotta cover ALL that up..

Brunellus
February 6th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Buddy of mine sent this to me. He said he dug a disk out of an old box he found while digging around in Government Declassified files.

I say it looks fake.

http://www.techsonic.net/patrick.pdf
If you'll believe that, you'll believe anything.

briancurtin
February 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM
this thread absolutely cannot be serious.

Derek Djons
February 6th, 2006, 09:35 PM
For christ sake! Do you really believe this is real?

There are no reference numbers what so ever on the page. There are also no symbols or logo's indicating to which government departement it belongs and etc. The joker probably used Paint to make this!

saubz
February 6th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I feel sorry for TechSonic

GreyFox503
February 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Derek, you beat me to it.

I could make a better looking fake than this. In Paint. In 5 minutes.

GreyFox503
February 6th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I prefer real -- oh, wait, we're not talking about women.

When I saw this thread, this was the first thing I thought of.

mstlyevil
February 7th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I prefer the fake ones. They are much more entertaining. (Take a wild guess which one I mean.)

TechSonic
February 7th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Ok so I deleted the file. He claims he still had a copy.. Well not anymore. Good virus virus virus, have virus biscut.

He wrote the same virus I used to trash his system. We are friends btw, we constantly trash each others systems for fun...

briancurtin
February 7th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Ok so I deleted the file. He claims he still had a copy.. Well not anymore. Good virus virus virus, have virus biscut.

He wrote the same virus I used to trash his system. We are friends btw, we constantly trash each others systems for fun...
ok...

qalimas
February 7th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Anyone care to share what was in that PDF?

briancurtin
February 7th, 2006, 01:27 AM
it was a poorly created document (MS Paint quality) with the kids picture and like two nicknames people used to call the kid, and it said "declassified" in red text.

he thought it was an actual government document.